Have you ever been as fanatical about any books as much as ASOIAF?

Fanless Mace

I like Martin, but I'm hardly a fanatic. ASOIAF isn't in my top five, though it might be in my top ten.

But you still have over 9 000 posts here? Wow. Do your top 5 series have forums? I wonder how many posts you have there. :)

As for the question, as quite a few people have already said, Harry Potter. I've read every single one of them 10 times, although I didn't do nearly as much forum reading as I've done with ASOIAF. Haven't been reading anything Potter related since 2012 when I first read the ASOIAF books, though. The Wheel of Time and Malazan Book of the Fallen are perhaps the only book series at the moment that I rank on par with ASOIAF, although I haven't posted on their forums nearly as much (The WOT forums are mostly empty of life these days, and while Malazan isn't as empty the main series is already finished, so there's not that much to speculate, especially as I haven't yet read the whole Malazan Empire series by Esslemont nor Forge of Darknes and thus can't go to the Kharkanas Trilogy sub-forum.)

Oh yes!!! My first real fandom was Harry Potter, and it stuck with me from when I was seven till 19 or so (in waves), and when I discovered David Eddings books I read The Elenium three times in a row as well as devouring all his other works in the span of a few short months... But Tolkien is the greatest obsession of them all. The Hobbit was my first (and still the greatest) literary love of my life, and I still hold LOTR as the best book I've read. So ASOIAF is definitely a great series, but far from my biggest book obsession. And this isn't even counting all the TV-shows and such...

I was so ready to jump on the Kvothe bandwagon, but The Wise Man's Fear was such a disapointment for me. I just wanted more Chandrian :bawl:

I think the books are extremly well written, and there are some excellent characters out there.

I really enjoyed Felurian, for example. I loved her.

Kvothe...I loved the 2 first books and I hope the third is as good as the others were.

I've been thinking about reading it but I don't really like the idea of it being told "from the future". No surer way to give the main character impenetrable plot armor :lol: So, it's worth a read then? I guess I must add it to my "to read" list then. It's getting painfully long, however, with the rest of the Malazan series (So far I've read MBotF 1-10 and ME 1-2), The Stormlight Archive, The Second Apocalypse, The Black Company... I guess that's it (For now at least. We shall see how many additional books it has gained by the time I reach the end of Black Company, and of course by that time there will be at least 2 new Malazan books, and possibly 1 new book from each, TSA and TSA. Oh and hopefully one more in the form of TWOW :D )

Eh, everything I truly like. I find something new, want to find everything I can about it, and after a little while, I move onto something else.

Maybe I'm fickle, but I can't spend very long on only one interest without getting bored after a while. This, too, shall pass, and I will find something else new. It can last anywhere from a few months to a year, but I always move on.

I've been thinking about reading it but I don't really like the idea of it being told "from the future". No surer way to give the main character impenetrable plot armor :lol: So, it's worth a read then? I guess I must add it to my "to read" list then. It's getting painfully long, however, with the rest of the Malazan series (So far I've read MBotF 1-10 and ME 1-2), The Stormlight Archive, The Second Apocalypse, The Black Company... I guess that's it (For now at least. We shall see how many additional books it has gained by the time I reach the end of Black Company, and of course by that time there will be at least 2 new Malazan books, and possibly 1 new book from each, TSA and TSA. Oh and hopefully one more in the form of TWOW :D )

The beautiful thing about Kvothe is...Kvothe. It's an extremly well written character. The story, world, etc is really good, but the difference lies in the quality of the characters.

Also, the future part of the books is the most interesting one. Trust me. You do not know shit about why things are happening, and yet we don't know it. The third and last book will be the best one.

I really think you should read it.

Eh, everything I truly like. I find something new, want to find everything I can about it, and after a little while, I move onto something else.

Maybe I'm fickle, but I can't spend very long on only one interest without getting bored after a while. This, too, shall pass, and I will find something else new. It can last anywhere from a few months to a year, but I always move on.

I am the same way. I started reading the Wheel of Time series. I finished the first book, and was about halfway through the 2nd when I came back to start my first re-read of GoT. I will go back to that series eventually, but it is soooooo long.

I am a HUGE HP Lovecraft fan.

Apparently he was ultra self critical and destroyed works if they were turned down once by a magazine or publisher so we only have a fraction of what he wrote. As such the Lovecraft canon is a shadow of what it could have been which is an absolute shame.

Still though, I am mayhaps a fanatical Lovecraft fan.

I have a "Miskatonic University" shirt that looks like any normal college sweatshirt and I love it when other Lovecraft fans comment on it.

Hmm I get easily attached to series and then never really get rid of them, still got all the Redwall books on a shelf somewhere I think, not read them in years but couldn't bear to get rid of them because I was a total fanatic of them when I was like 9.

But at the moment I reckon ASOIAF is in my top 3 along with Discworld and all things Tolkien (particularly the Silmarillion, better than LOTR IMO)

Slytherin is in the house! :devil:

Haha me too!!! (I got sorted on Pottermore)

Lucky! I usually get either Ravenclaw or Slytherin on random Sorting quizzes I take online. But the official Pottermore quiz gave me Ravenclaw. [emoji17] If Hogwarts was real, I would probably tell the Sorting Hat to give me Slytherin.

Harry Potter. Yes it's true.

And I must say. Even thought the Harry Potter books are extremely intelligent and thought provoking, Harry Potter fandom is stupid.

This fandom is much less stupid. Maybe because we're mostly grownups.

Although I never used internet forums at the time I was reading Harry Potter series, I could name it as one of my book obsessions.

I checked a few forums out of curiosity much after I have read the 7th book. I definitely agree about fandoms. When I was fully amazed by plots and hidden clues and I wondering what other unexplored areas there could be in magic, such as dubiously explained wandless magic; people were all about shipping hermione/draco and god... even harry/draco.

Needless to say, I was shocked.

Apparently I am one of the few around here who didn't care for HP. I read the books and watched a few of the movies (ugh, child actors), but I didn't think they were all that great.

Maybe it's just my age, I dunno.

Archived