R+L=J v.111

Salafi Stannis

George responded to a question about his expanded readership and whether the internet has (or hasn't) had an impact on the unpredictability of his writing. I thought it might be worth sharing his response for the next time someone comes and says something along the lines of 'R+L=J is obvious, everyone knows about it, GRRM is going to change things in order to pull the rug out from under us.' :)

http://youtu.be/TB5AU_bCZJg?t=1h22m17s

(Just in case the link doesn't play at the correct time, George talks about it from around 1:22:17 onwards.)

Great share, and worth the listen! (Wish I'd known he was going to be at Brown this week!)

A little thought on Jon possibly becoming king: do you think that the way he was elected Lord Commander might be a foreshadowing for how it would be done? If the realm was split between two candidates neither of which would yield, might a third one to whom both parties were neutral, actually benefit?

A little thought on Jon possibly becoming king: do you think that the way he was elected Lord Commander might be a foreshadowing for how it would be done? If the realm was split between two candidates neither of which would yield, might a third one to whom both parties were neutral, actually benefit?

I could see him becoming a compromise candidate. I guess it all depends on what he does in the next two books, though. But it's a possibility.

That was my theory that a Great Council will decide the succession. Shireen will be one of the claimants and the child of Dany (a daughter most likely) will be another. I think there will also people who might claim some distant Targ ancestry etc.

That is a great point, and when you think about the common ground that both Jon and Aemon share in the way they found themselves at the Wall to begin with, lots of foreshadowing.

Maybe its also a glimpse into the past, and a parallel to the GC Rhaegar would have called.

(I especially liked how "hand-like" Samwell was becoming).

That was my theory that a Great Council will decide the succession. Shireen will be one of the claimants and the child of Dany (a daughter most likely) will be another. I think there will also people who might claim some distant Targ ancestry etc.

1. I doubt Shireen will be alive

2. I doubt Dany will have a daughter

3. As for anyone with Targaryen ancestry, I suppose that depends on what happens to Aegon.

Yes.

Don't know who the other candidates are (Dany seems possible) but yeah, I picture it happening like his LC election.

Yes.

Don't know who the other candidates are (Dany seems possible) but yeah, I picture it happening like his LC election.

I think Dany, and whoever remains alive out of Aegon, Stannis/Shireen, Tommen/Myrcella. Personally, I'd prefer Stannis, but if the two claimants were two females, it would poise an interesting option for certain future arrangements :D

I think Dany, and whoever remains alive out of Aegon, Stannis/Shireen, Tommen/Myrcella. Personally, I'd prefer Stannis, but if the two claimants were two females, it would poise an interesting option for certain future arrangements :D

I agree.

With Shireen, I think something bad will come about with her, and then I get the feeling that Cersei will outlive her children, (though from what I understand, show Myrcella and Tristyn seem to be a legitimate item- and will likely end badly).

The dynamics between Jon and Stannis reek of unfinished business between the Targaryens/Starks and the Berantheons. So far, Stannis seems amicable to Jon, but that won't last long in a fight for the crown, and if Jon ends up killing Stannis with a war hammer...........

Myrcella and Tommen are toast (possibly literally if Cersei sets fire to KL...). I dont' foresee good things for Shireen--I think Mel might use her in Winds. Aegon I suspect will die in a second Dance. So, that means Stannis.

I definitely agree that Jon and Stannis have something going and the confrontation is almost a must. And since Stannis has a great deal of respect for Jon, I can see him bend knee.

Did you guys hear the cast signed up for season 7?

Guess who's in it? :D

Before you jump too high with joy, remember that Lena and NCW also singed for the 7th and I doubt that Cersei, at least, is living for the entire run of the series. But she is one of the most popular characters and HBO is a business first and foremost; they'll milk Jaime and Cersei's story for as long as they can to keep their audiences.

Has anyone ever considered that the TOJ is in the north? Would make a lot more sense.

Edit* by north i mean north of the trident

The books state it's in the red mountains of Dorne and it was near enough to Starfall that Ned rode there after the battle to return Dawn.

Archived