[TWoIaF spoiler] Haegon I Blackfyre/Blackfyre/Dark Sister

Lord Varys

One of the (many) reasons that the Second Blackfyre Rebellion was such a farce, though, was that Daemon II didn't have Blackfyre. It seems weird that Bittersteel would purposefully leave the sword behind during the later rebellions. It's definitely indicated that the Third Blackfyre Rebellion was far less of a joke than the second one.

Blackfyre was the sword of the kings. The Targaryen kings would most certainly have not given the swords to anyone else after they had recovered it. The Blackfyre thing would have been a lesson for them all.

If it was taken from Haegon in 219 AC, it would have gone to Aerys I, then to Maekar I, then to Aegon V, then to Jaehaerys II, and finally to Aerys II. Maekar I and Aegon V would have wielded it themselves, and Jaehaerys II would have kept it in KL with him while Aerys warred on the Stepstones. Aerys II most certainly would have not given it to his ingrate son, so this could explain why Rhaegar did not wield it at the Trident.

Of the grandson generation we only know of another of Maelys and his cousin, another Daemon. That Daemon could have been Aenys Blackfyre's son, whereas Maelys is either the son of Daemon's sixth or seventh son (my guess is the latter). During the War of the Ninepenny Kings all of Daemon's sons were dead. I'd imagine that both the Third and the Fourth Rebellion did kill a lot of Blackfyres, not just the pretenders.

Couldn't be that Daemon was the son of Daemon III and Maelys the son of the unnamed Daemon III's brother?

We don't know about Blackfyre or Dark Sister yet because they are future developments in either ASOIAF or D&E. The SSM tells us the Targaryens didn't have it. As Lord Varys said up thread, Blackfyre is the sword of the king. This means Blackfyre is not with the Gold Company, but rather with whoever is the current Blackfyre heir from the female line. My guess is Illyrio Mopatis.

Just to be clear on that:

Even if the Targaryens had recovered it, my guess would be that it ended up with Illyrio anyway and is currently in one of the chests Duck possibly still carries around with him.

If the Targaryens recovered it and Aerys II held it until his death, my guess would be that Varys stole it during the chaos of the Sack, just as he may have spirited Aegon away. The book certainly alludes that Dany's dragon eggs come from the clutch of eggs Aerys had found on Dragonstone and tried to hatch after Varys had been made Master of Whisperers. The fact that Yandel claims they were so old as to have been turned into stone is a pretty big hint!

But it is just as likely (and certainly possible) that the Targaryens lost Blackfyre decades before Robert's Rebellion (if they ever recovered it) or that the Blackfyres lost it during some war in Essos.

The hints that it may have been recovered by the Targaryens is the way the Third Rebellion ended, the fact that Daemon III was slain in battle, and the illustration of Maelys/Barristan which most likely does not depict Maelys using a morning star by accident. If Haegon did not have Blackfyre with him when he was taken, it could have been lost anyway. But it really does seems like as if Maelys did not wield it during the War of the Ninepenny Kings.

Considering that for the Blackfyres the sword symbolized the kingship it is really strange to assume that Haegon, Daemon III, and Maelys would not wield it in battle to rally support to their cause. Even if they preferred other weapons, the symbolic power of the weapon would have been way too great. Not counting/mentioning the fact that Valyrian steel makes a very fine weapon even without the 'the sword is the kingdom' stuff.

By the way, we should not take Yandel (and Illyrio) all that seriously in this whole 'dragon eggs turned into stone' thing. We don't know if Lord Butterwell's egg was a younger or an older dragon egg, but Egg's and Aerion's eggs most likely are not all that ancient, as he actually states that the last dragon left five eggs before her death, and that the Targaryens have older eggs on Dragonstone from before the Dance. Butterwell's egg shares every quality with the eggs of Daenerys from AGoT, very much suggesting that dragon eggs always look like scaled stones.

The belief that the eggs petrified over the centuries could actually be a legend that evolved after the last dragon died to explain why the dragon eggs looked the way they did. Since then no one would have seen a recently laid dragon egg after all...

If we're speaking about petrification in the scientific sense, people need to read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrifaction

In geology, petrifaction or petrification is the process by which organic material is converted into stone through the replacement of the original material and the filling of the original pore spaces with minerals.
One of the processes involved in petrification is permineralization. The fossils created through this process tend to contain a large amount of the original material of the specimen. This process occurs when groundwater containing dissolved minerals (most commonly quartz, calcite, pyrite, siderite (iron carbonate), and apatite (calcium phosphate) ) fills pore spaces and cavities of specimens, particularly bone, shell or wood.[
Replacement, the second process involved in petrification, occurs when water containing dissolved minerals dissolves the original solid material of an organism, which is then replaced by minerals.

Unless someone is letting their eggs soak in groundwater, they aren't petrified.

If we're talking magical "turning to stone", we can't be sure, but the Targs of Egg's time should know what a normal dragon egg is like. Dunk's description matches Dany's eggs, and Aegon doesn't note anything strange, as Lord Varys noted above. The only in-story characters who talk about petrified dragon eggs know nothing about dragon eggs (and nothing about petrifaction/petrification).

Yeah, of course, the dragon eggs could not be actual fossils in any case.

The only way the 'dragon eggs turn to stone' theory could be possible if recently hatched dragon eggs are somewhat softer than older ones, and tend to harden in the first few years after they have been produced.

But this would have nothing to do with actual petrification, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

If we're speaking about petrification in the scientific sense, people need to read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrifaction

Unless someone is letting their eggs soak in groundwater, they aren't petrified.

If we're talking magical "turning to stone", we can't be sure, but the Targs of Egg's time should know what a normal dragon egg is like. Dunk's description matches Dany's eggs, and Aegon doesn't note anything strange, as Lord Varys noted above. The only in-story characters who talk about petrified dragon eggs know nothing about dragon eggs (and nothing about petrifaction/petrification).

I am familiar with taphonomy. However, I don't think that really is relevant in the case of the dragon eggs. The dragon eggs are magical and they are "made of fire" like the dragons. I imagine that as they age they cool and their petrification is more like lava cooling rather than normal taphonomic processes.

If Aegon and the Golden Company have Blackfyre, either because they've had it for decades or because Illyrio recently gave it to them, I think we will probably find out fairly early in 'The Winds of Winter.' If the Golden Company doesn't have it, it's probably good and lost.

Dark Sister is almost a stranger question. Did Bloodraven take it to the Wall with him? Is it in the cave with Bran and Meera? If so, it's weird Aegon V would have let him take it. On the other hand, if Rhaegar had used it on the Trident, I think we would have heard about it.

Archived