NBA Regular Season 2014-15

Rhom

They could be the scariest 8th seed ever. And they'll have a shot at being the first ever 8 seed to get to the finals (assuming they're healthy come playoff time).

I thought the Knicks did that in 99 in the lockout shortened season? I seem to remember them playing the Spurs.

ETA: ninja'd

Ahhh 99. What a year. I was at MSG for about 5 playoff games that season, including Larry Johnsons iconic 4 point play. I've never been to an arena that went as totally apeshit as MSG did in that moment.

Rhom, i think it's high time to enact the fallout of our bet from last season. The bet was Spurs vs everyone else. I won, so its time to change your title.

Your new title, for the next 6 (8?) weeks will be "Relic Taught Me How to Pick and Roll". If you want to knock it down to 4 weeks you can stick my website url in your sig and we'll call it even =)

Enjoy!

Apparently Westbrook fractured the second metacarpal of his right hand. A real shame. His one man show against Portland was so fun to watch. The Thunder could well miss the playoffs now given how tough the West is.

Un-be-lie-va-ble.

Out for 4-8 weeks!

I am astounded. These guys just cannot stay on the court.

Rhom, i think it's high time to enact the fallout of our bet from last season. The bet was Spurs vs everyone else. I won, so its time to change your title.

Your new title, for the next 6 (8?) weeks will be "Relic Taught Me How to Pick and Roll". If you want to knock it down to 4 weeks you can stick my website url in your sig and we'll call it even =)

Enjoy!

Wasn't that bet with me? Or did you have one with Rhom as well?

ST

Sorted. I've put your website in my sig too. Shall we round up from four weeks to a month? I'll get rid of it at the end of November.

ST

Sounds good to me. We should work out our next wager afterwards.

If we assume that Westbrook is out 6 weeks, and Durant is definitely out longer than that, is there any chance they miss the playoffs? I mean, last year a 48 win season left Phoenix at home, and the Thunder have 21 games between now and Dec. 14. It looks like a relatively easy slate, but any stretch for a top heavy team without thier two best players is going to be really tough. They're already 0-2, and I don't have a lot of faith in Scott Brooks. If they go 9-12 over that stretch, they'd need to finish the season 40-19 to get to the 49 win mark. Considering that will be against the harder Western conference teams, and Durant might be out for another month on top of that...that could be a really tall order.

If we assume that Westbrook is out 6 weeks, and Durant is definitely out longer than that, is there any chance they miss the playoffs? I mean, last year a 48 win season left Phoenix at home, and the Thunder have 21 games between now and Dec. 14. It looks like a relatively easy slate, but any stretch for a top heavy team without thier two best players is going to be really tough. They're already 0-2, and I don't have a lot of faith in Scott Brooks. If they go 9-12 over that stretch, they'd need to finish the season 40-19 to get to the 49 win mark. Considering that will be against the harder Western conference teams, and Durant might be out for another month on top of that...that could be a really tall order.

Also they're going to be fighting capable teams like Phoenix and New Orleans for the final couple of spots. Gonna be extremely tough.

The Thunder are definitely capable of winning 2 out of every 3 games with both Durant and Westbrook healthy (that's ~54 win pace, which is usually within their capabilities). But the healthy part is the big question - will Durant be able to make his usual impact right away? I think they'll end up safely with a seed in the 6-8 range assuming no further setbacks.

Worth bearing in mind that with a slightly more competent Eastern Conference and improved Pelicans and Nuggets squads easy wins should be a little harder to come by this year. Last year was a historical outlier with how good you had to be get into the playoffs and I'd expect the cut off to be more like 46-47 games this year.

ST

Enjoy!

Wasn't that bet with me? Or did you have one with Rhom as well?

ST

Whew... I was so confused. But I was willing to do it anyways! :lmao:

That´s pretty much what Grizzlies did last season without Gasol.

They're going to have to go on an absolute heater when Durant and Westbrook come back to make the playoffs. They're atrocious without those two (not that it's suprising that you'd be bad without two of the 10 best players in the league).

That´s pretty much what Grizzlies did last season without Gasol.

The Grizziles sans Gasol was comparable when they were missing just Durant. Missing both Durant and Westbrook is a totally different beast, and they will find themselves in a deeper hole than the Griz were in last year.

The Grizziles sans Gasol was comparable when they were missing just Durant. Missing both Durant and Westbrook is a totally different beast, and they will find themselves in a deeper hole than the Griz were in last year.

Grizzlies were something like 8-14 without Gasol so I just compared that to your hyphothetical 9-12 stretch and what´s needed to make the playoffs after that.

Grizzlies were something like 8-14 without Gasol so I just compared that to your hyphothetical 9-12 stretch and what´s needed to make the playoffs after that.

Wow that is bad. I wonder if that 22 game stretch was a particularly difficult set of teams? Because that is the blessing/curse of this injury timing for OKC, it is during the weaker part of the Thunder's schedule, but it also means that any ground they need to make up will be filled with games against the top 10 Western Conference teams, where winning 2 games out of 3 is very hard.

Archived