Anyone else think "Elmo" & "Kermit" are really lame names?

Ocelot

One of the things I'd been looking forward to most for TWOIAF would be finding out the names of past members of various houses, especially women, b/c I'm obsessed w/ names and want as many canon as possible. But does anyone think that the previous Lord Tully names Elmo & Kermit are REALLY LAME, I mean FROG MUPPET & SESAME STREET FOR FUCK'S SAKE? Do you guys agree?

Those are real names that you're only finding lame because of an association that wouldn't exist in Westros.

As for extradiagetically - this is the series with Lharys, Kurliket, and Mohar; Howl(and Reed)'s Moving Castle, Archmaester Rigney who theorized that time was a wheel, House Wyl with its blackadder arms, etc etc.

I'm not seeing a name joke off the top of my head, but Maester Theron is also clearly an H.P. Lovecraft expy with his bizarre writing on Deep Ones conceived on human women by inchoate sea beings who inspired the Drowned God*...

*That which is dead may never die. And in strange eons even death may... wait... no... wrong one.

So far there's been a ton of references to other works in ASIAF, many of them humoristic. I don't see how the name of some Tully lords can be a dealbreaker.

We've had houses Vance of Wayfarer's Rest and Atranta, house Jordayne of the Tor and his lord Trebor, House Willum and the "quarrelsome" brothers Josua and Elyas. In the Valale we have houses [Robert] Redford, [Jeffrey] Hunter, or [John/Clint] Waynwood. The sons of Lord Redfort are Michael, Creighton, Jasper and Jon. Sam/Ser Piggy is a callback to both the lords of the rings and the flies. There was a Robin Potter twith "a nasty scar on his head". There's been Lharys, Mohar, and Kurliket...

Perros strikes me as much more bizarre name..doesn't it mean"dogs" in Spanish?

It sounds disturbing to me..

Matthos should be an ancient version of Matthew, but Perros?

Please don't say Perry, else explain what name Perry is please..

I have no problems with the names being used by GRRM but the fact that he placed them all in the one family did detract from the sense of this being a history.

This part felt like reading a high school essay where the author was trying to be a smart arse by trying to slip in silly names to annoy the teacher.

House Tully has enough detractors without it seeming like GRRM himself is poking fun at them.

Archived