What is your favorite artwork from TWOIAF?

My favourites were:-

The Rhoynar fighting the dragonlords.

Rhaenyra facing Sunfyre

A Sword of the Morning

The Tragedy of Summerhall

The confrontation between the Yellow Toad and Rhaenys

The burning of the Sept of Remembrance

Aerys sentencing the Darklyns to torture and death (in the sense of being genuinely creepy).

One thing that struck me was how palatial some of the greatest buildings were (eg Summerhall, the Red Keep, Casterly Rock). These aren't drafty medieval castles, but rather equivalent to the palaces of a Roman Emperor, or the great civic building of the Victorian era (Summerhall resembles the first Crystal Palace).

Rhaenyra,Viserys II with little Aegon and Larra Rogare,Jaehaerys and Alysanne ,Brides of Maegor the cruel and lastly sisters of Baelor I. I noticed something about the last one its labelled as left to right Elaena,Rhaena,Daena but shouldn't Elaena be the one on the right since that one has a long braid of hair which we know Elaena had and looks less beautiful then the other two or am I just being dumb?

• 2 weeks later...

There are so many great artoworks in the books, my favourites one are:

Aegon on Balerion.

Prince Daemon offering his crown

Barristan vs Baelor.

The death of Daemon Blackfyre.

Torrhen Stark kneeling to Aegon.

Rhaenys vs Meria.

Visenya burning the Arryn Fleet.

Nymeria on his ship and Nymeria and Mors Martell.

The Sword of the Morning.

Dunk vs Lyonel Baratheon.

Lord Tytos and young Tywin.

The great Tourney of 98 AC.

King Harwyn Hoare.

Valyria and the lava canals.

Aegon the Conqueror in battle.

The artworks were sometimes really small or pointless. Piles of skulls, severed hands? Chorayne in ruins? And others were chopped to bits, the Arryn banner is missing when Visenya burns her fleet, and Tywin legs are the only part of him visible in the condemning Darklyns picture. I understand need to show words instead, but such pointless artworks such as a pile of skulls..... Eh.

And I do wonder If that's what he Summer Island temples look like. Their clothes weren't as described in the books, so that sorta puts the whole pic into question. I suppose the artworks aren't the best representation sometimes.

As always, the castles are the most stunning, and finally, canon sigil artworks!

Ruby Ford - though I was a little disappointed by Robert's warhammer... after the way he is talked about, both in ASOIAF and TWOIAF I'd kind of imagined it to be the size of a small bus... (ok, I'm exaggerating. I think I had some kind of supersized Thor's hammer, though)

Maegor the Cruel, dead on the IT

Dragonstone in the opening covers is awesome too

The Iron Throne... now THAT is what I imagined, not the piddly little thing with about 100 swords in that the TV show uses...

Death of Meraxes

The King Who Knelt

Daeron I is pretty, too...

My favorite is Aegon the Conqueror upon Balerion the Black Dread. I zoomed in on the picture on my tablet. The detail is amazing -especially Balerion's breast plate and the straps holding it on. Aegon even has a saddle. i wonder how they get that on Balerion and how many people it takes to put it on him...

Go to Amazon.com, type Game of Thrones in the search box, click on the book, and then click on "look inside".

This picture is in the sample and you can zoom in on it and see all the great details. I didn't know if it was allowed to post the link. I don't see why not but I don't want to get in trouble lol

Archived