What is your favorite artwork from TWOIAF?

snip

Dragonstone

Which one? I think there are at least three versions. The first two look pretty awesome but the last one is nowhere near as imaginative,

As to the OP, I don't think I have any favourites but Moat Cailin doesn't seem to match the descriptions at all. Perhaps it's supposed to be a depiction from before it became a ruin?

I just realized that

Dunk vs Laughing Storm

Death of Meraxes

Death of Prince Lucerys

Daemon offers his Crown

Torrhen kneels

Rhoynar facing Valyrian Dragons

Construction of the Wall

are all by the same artist, Chase Stone.

http://chasestoneart.com/

Judging by what I've read here so far, he's probably the most popular artist from the book.

The light in "Death of Meraxes" is amazing. And Jose Cabrera Pena is credited with being the best when it comes to armor (Barristan vs Maelys, Daemon's charge on the Redgrass Field, Sword of the Morning), but Dunk's and Lyonel's armor look pretty cool too.

I really like the portrayal of Nymeria and Mors Martell by one Karla Ortiz. She specializes in portraits apparently.

There's something about Nymeria's poise and the way she looks at you. And Mors has an elder statesman look about him and manages to not look like Nymeria's poodle, which I consider important.

The front cover one.

I don't really like the one by Nasmith, I never really liked Nasmith's style to begin with.

These are the only ones I remember.

I'd agree that inside the front cover is the best. The second, on p.30 at least has multiple dragons. There's a third in the Stormlands section p.'s 230-231 with a single large dragon gracing a hilltop. It looks more like the Sphinx than something Targ builders were capable of constructing.

And there's definitely a man in the first illustration - Davos?

I haven't read all of it yet but the one I liked most until now was the "Battle of the Redgrass Fields". I skipped most of the Targaryen kings though so that may change. I was kind of irritated by the Valyrian Freehold though. It looked very weird, in a science fiction sort of way if that makes sense. ^^

I was kind of irritated by the Valyrian Freehold though. It looked very weird, in a science fiction sort of way if that makes sense. ^^

I know exactly what you mean. As already said, I don't really like Nasmith's style, but on top of that what is shown is weird. No people anywhere, nothing but lava ditches between the buildings, the buildings look like bottles and what exactly are the dragons even doing? looks like those olde tyme moon colonies from 1930s pulp magazines.

Liked:

Sword of the morning

the eyrie,winterfell, riverrun

I thought the best one was the "seven kingdoms" two pager

My only complaints are that some things (Valyrian Freehold, dragonstone, some other whatever) look too "fantasy". They look so much like magic the gathering illustrations that it sort of breaks my suspension of disbelief. Also the character illustrations are all too attractive. It subtracts from the gritty realism of the series.

I thought, since it's an in universe text written by a maester, that it might be neato if the illustrations looked like medieval illuminations.

One more thing. Am i crazy or did they just Photoshop Alduin from the Skyrim load screen onto the left most tower of Dragonstone from the inside front cover?

Torrhen kneeling is particularly poignant. It depicts such a sad moment, but there is also the air of majesty that accompanies Aegon, so I find it difficult to hate him for ending thousands of years of Stark rule. Conflicting.

Archived