How old was Gerold Hightower?

Red Tiger

You're probably right, I just don't think we should attribute too much to the "young" label, because in this context it doesn't necessarily mean the same as it would in another (a young husband, say, or a young father).

Maybe White Bull was reffered to as Young LC because he followed Dunk, who died as LC aged nearly 70. He could have been the same age as Jaime, when appointed LC i.e. early 30s.

And for that matter, how old were the other members of Aerys' Kingsguard? Besides Barristan and Jaime, off course.

I ask because Gerold is supposed to be Lord Leyton's uncle and we know Leyton's supposed to be an old guy.

It also makes me wonder if Gerold was waaaaay past his prime at the TOJ.

....an uncle/aunt can be younger than their nephew/niece...Dany is younger than her nephew(s). Catelyn was still young enough to have children when Robb married. Had things gone differently, Robb's eldest child could have been of an age with or older than Robb's youngest sibling....

Tywin was 4 years younger than Barry. White Bull must have been older than Barry to become LC upon Dunk's death. So maybe he was 10 years older than Tywin, so in mid fifties at the time of Rebellion.

Barristan wasn't in the Kingsguard yet when Summerhall happened. Barristan joined after the War of the Ninepenny Kings, during Jaehaerys II's reign. Gerold Hightower was already Lord Commander then. However, Hightower was almost certainly older than Barristan as Barristan joined the Kingsguard at 23.

Actually Barristan would have been 43/44 at the time. How old would you say Hightower is at the tourney of harrenhal? Taking into consideration that he has been described as the "new, young" LC of the KG in 260AC.

It depends on the age of the previous lord Commander.

Considering Kingsgaurd members serve for life and we have never heard of a LC being demoted the average LC is going to live to a ripe old age.

It depends on the age of the previous lord Commander.

Considering Kingsgaurd members serve for life and we have never heard of a LC being demoted the average LC is going to live to a ripe old age.

We know the previous LC was Dunk and he was around 68-70 at the time of his death.

What age they lived to is irrelevant, imo. What is relevant is the average age when one is appointed LC. I just find it hard to believe that someone in their mid to late thirties or early forties would be described as a "new, young LC".

We know the previous LC was Dunk and he was around 68-70 at the time of his death.

What age they lived to is irrelevant, imo. What is relevant is the average age when one is appointed LC. I just find it hard to believe that someone in their mid to late thirties or early forties would be described as a "new, young LC".

It depends on the age of Maester Yandel. Doesn't matter how many years go by, to my Grandfather and his pals I'm always referred to as young.

....an uncle/aunt can be younger than their nephew/niece...Dany is younger than her nephew(s). Catelyn was still young enough to have children when Robb married. Had things gone differently, Robb's eldest child could have been of an age with or older than Robb's youngest sibling....

Im well aware of this, but Gerold was the LC over Barristan and the guy who gave him his cloak, which leads me to believe that he was older than him and Leyton.

Archived