Why Crasters sons?

Shane snow

Its not a massive leap with no evidence, he's just trusting the words of someone else...

The word of a one-scene nobody cannot possibly disputed. Even if its not actually a POV character as claimed. It MUST be truth as determined by her own observations, not just a fanatsy she happens to believe in. Examining the veracity of her as a source is definitely not acceptable.

For those who are not aware, thats the sarcasm font.

Way to take my whole post backwards.

Didn't realize Bran wasn't a PoV.

Also does anyone have the quote of Craster's wife calling the others his children?

“Your mother can’t help you none,” said the old woman on the left. “That dead old man can’t neither. You take his sword and you take that big warm fur cloak of his and you take his horse if you can find him. And you go.”

The girl don’t lie,” the old woman on the right said. “She’s my girl, and I beat the lying out of her early on. You said you’d help her. Do what Ferny says, boy. Take the girl and be quick about it.”

“Quick,” the raven said. “Quick, quick, quick.”

“Where?” asked Sam, puzzled. “Where should I take her?”

“Someplace warm,” the two old women said as one.

Gilly was crying. “Me and the babe. Please. I’ll be your wife, like I was Craster’s. Please, ser crow. He’s a boy, just like Nella said he’d be. If you don’t take him, they will.”

“They?” said Sam, and the raven cocked its black head and echoed “They. They. They.”

“The boy’s brothers,” said the old woman on the left. “Craster’s sons. The white cold’s rising out there, crow. I can feel it in my bones. These poor old bones don’t lie. They’ll be here soon, the sons.”

What's special about Craster's keep is that it exists at all. Think about it the Wildlings basically operate on a 'law of the jungle' morality where if you're strong (in might, cunning, numbers, whatever) you're perfectly entitled to use that strength to kill or dominate others and take their stuff with no moral consequences. So in the middle of Wildling territory there is Craster's Keep where a single old man defends a load of valuable livestock and frightened women and girls in a fixed position. What logically should happen to Craster as a consequence of doing what he is doing in Wildling territory? The answer is that other wildlings come, kill him and take his daughter/wives and valuables.

What is special about Craster is that THIS hasn't happened. For some reason Craster has been left alone by other wildlings despite the fact he has a load of stuff they likely want to take from him. The reason that comes most swiftly to my mind is that something or someone is protecting Craster from the attentions of his fellow wildlings.

Valid point, but Craster is known as a friend to the Watch - and he ain't doing that out of the goodness of his heart. They may be the ones offering him some level of protection against raiding from his fellow wildlings; the protection of other men seems more likely to have helped him than the protection of creatures that were not active for most of the years Craster had his keep. It may even have been of to the mutual benefit of the free folk as well as the NW to have a neutral hall in proximity to Castle Black for the unofficial trade that happens across the Wall.

Archived