The Last Of Us: I am the worst fighter ever in the history of video games

Pecan

I know there's at least two in that final tunnel that you can sneak past.

You can also avoid the bloater on the Pittsburg level at the bottom of the hotel. You just have sweep the security card before you start the generator. You can then sprint to the door and swipe the card.

That is how I got past it when I played on grounded mode.

So I'm getting better at this game, figuring stuff out. One thing that I'm still having trouble with is breaking from a grapple. It seems like once a runner grabs Joel, it's game over most of the time. I do hit the square button when it comes up, and sometimes it works to break the grapple, but most of the time it doesn't. And it's all happening so fast, I have no idea what I'm doing when it does work, so I don't know how to replicate it.

Right now, Joel is stuck hanging upside down in Bill's Town. One plus to this situation is that I'm getting better at shooting, but the runners just keep coming, and so Joel always dies when a runner grabs him. I understand there's a clicker coming as well. If I could just break the grapple more effectively, I could make it through this situation.

LoG,

Are you on the PC or the PS?

On the PS, one of your control buttons allows you to break out of a runner's hold. I'm not sure which one it is now, but it must be pressed repeatedly when the runners grab you while upside down. When you have done it enough, you will bash the runner on the head with your revolver and it will back away. The game should, at that point, give you a lined up head shot shortly after it backs away.

LoG,

Are you on the PC or the PS?

On the PS, one of your control buttons allows you to break out of a runner's hold. I'm not sure which one it is now, but it must be pressed repeatedly when the runners grab you while upside down. When you have done it enough, you will bash the runner on the head with your revolver and it will back away. The game should, at that point, give you a lined up head shot shortly after it backs away.

I'm on the PS4 and that's basically what I'm doing, hitting the button repeatedly. Is there a certain number of times you have to hit it?

And actually, I did finally get past this obstacle, but I've noticed this inconsistency throughout the game - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - and I'd like to get to the bottom of it so I know what to do.

Just keep mashing the square button until you break the hold. I used my left thumb to mash the square button while using my right hand to hold the controller because I can mash it faster that way.

That upside down part in Bill's town was a pain in the buttocks for me too. Thankfully that weren't that many type of situations in the game.

I'm still annoyed that I barely used the shotty because I was always thinking "I'll need it more later" difficult games have made me bloody stingy with using powerful stuff

I thought that for a bit but... then the idea of a hand cannon. I got excited. Much like the flame thrower I just shot at everything with it.

I would have died within the first hours of an actual zombie thing.

Just keep mashing the square button until you break the hold. I used my left thumb to mash the square button while using my right hand to hold the controller because I can mash it faster that way.

That upside down part in Bill's town was a pain in the buttocks for me too. Thankfully that weren't that many type of situations in the game.

Maybe it's how fast you mash the button? I'll try that and report back tomorrow.

Knowing how everything turns out makes playing a new game plus a pretty different experience to my first play through. I'm thinking about a lot of stuff very differently and attaching significance to different things. It's also overwhelmingly sad at times.

Well, I finished the game finally. It took me about 10 days to get through it, probably 50 hours or so, but it got easier about halfway through as I got better with the controller and better with all aspects of the game. I had a lot of fun with the parts where I played Ellie because she's such a little Ninja. Overall, I thought the stealth aspects were the most fun. The bow became far and away my favorite weapon. The parts I found most annoying were the melees with massive bunches of infected where they just overwhelm you and you have to keep playing it over and over again until you finally get it right. Also, the fight between Ellie and that dude in the burning house was super annoying.

I'll probably start playing Left Behind tomorrow.

Real curious what Naughty Dog's plans are for a sequel.

i finally picked it back up sunday after not playing for months. it is hard to find time for gaming in my life these days.

it is a wonderful game. the scenery is beautiful. the voice acting is superb. the gameplay is fun. and most of all the story is great. at times it is just so so so fucking sad and bleak.

i figure i will finish it up this week.

I'm still annoyed that I barely used the shotty because I was always thinking "I'll need it more later" difficult games have made me bloody stingy with using powerful stuff

I totally saved up my shotty (long gun and Pistole) for the section where there are lots of runners. You can avoid all those runners of course by sprinting through the level, but then you miss all the loot. I wait patiently at the beginning of the are where I can't get flanked by runners, and they come by one at a time. I then shot gun them to the face, one shot kill and have a few shells to spare once the area is clear. Most other times I don't really use the shot gun as a go to weapon. I might use it tactically to take out a clicker real fast, but then switch to other weapons for all the rest.

Archived