Crusader Kings II Game of Thrones Mod

TimJames

Ok, here's my experience.

I started out playing as Littlefinger in the Robert's Rebellion* scenario. He is only sixteen at this point, proud owner of Midler Point (a flint tower in nowhereville), but what he lacked in holdings he more than made up for in his crazy good intrigue skills.

I started a plot to assassinate Eddard Stark so as to clear up Catelyn for marriage because what else would Littlefinger do? Well, I could only get 94% plot power. Seventy percent of that was from Littlefinger, but the other twenty percent was from Catelyn (as it turns out, Eddard spurned her sexual advances so she wanted revenge). That still wasn't enough plot power, so I went into debt hiring the faceless men to kill The Lord of the North. Now that Catelyn was single, I invited her to my court and we were married.

I had his master of laws fabricate claims on the other fingers, and one by one pressed those claims until I owned five provinces and could found the high lordship of the fingers (I also moved my Capitol Provence to an actual castle).

Now by this time I had five or six children with my wife, so I married my first born son to the sister of the child Lord Paramount (House Royce overthrew House Arryn while I wasn't looking, so now THEY ruled the Errye and the Vale. I waited until my son and his wife were grown up and married, and as soon as my daughter-in-law gave birth to a son (who was a member of House Baelish), I pressed her claim on the Errye.

So that how in one lifetime Littlefinger married the woman of his dreams, rose to the rank of High Lord, and ensured that his grandson was would become lord of the Vale. Unfortunately, Catelyn died around age fifty; Littlefinger became depressed and committed suicide soon after.

In accordance with the rules of Crusader Kings II, I started playing as Littlefinger's firstborn son, who was married to the Lady Paramount and was High Lord of The Fingers. Petyr Baelish II (I'll call him junior) inherited his father's genius trait, but instead of being a master plotter he became a master diplomat. He could still hatch nefarious plots though.

For example, Junior's wife was rivals with a woman who was a few years younger than her. Junior of course invites the woman to his court and starts an adulterous affair with his wife's rival. When his wife plotted to assassinate the woman, Junior decided to murder her first. His son then became Lord Paramount of the Vale and Junior married his lover.

This is where I stopped playing, as I got bored.

* Edit, I accidentally said "Clash of Kings" when I meant "Robert's Rebellion".

Around the time the AFFC scenario was added I tried playing the option of Jon accepting Stannis's deal. Got the North and then I was immediately at war again to make him king. At the same time though I declared a private war against the Freys because this was about the time they came up with blood feuds I think. I besieged the Twins and took almost the entire family hostage and won that little war. It then game me character events on how I wanted to judge the Freys I had taken, and I was lopping off heads for a bloody long time.

Fullquote

I started a game as LF in Robert's Rebellion (and he is 16 then, in ACOK he's older) recently, but I've only played about 2 years gametime yet. I think you only need three of the five provinces of the Fingers to found the High Lordship of the Fingers, right? You need at least 51% of a region to found a new high lordship (if it's not already taken; I don't know what to do then, except marriage).

You start with basically nothing in an insignificant region, but LF's awesome traits make up for that.

I started a game as LF in Robert's Rebellion (and he is 16 then, in ACOK he's older) recently, but I've only played about 2 years gametime yet. I think you only need three of the five provinces of the Fingers to found the High Lordship of the Fingers, right? You need at least 51% of a region to found a new high lordship (if it's not already taken; I don't know what to do then, except marriage).

You start with basically nothing in an insignificant region, but LF's awesome traits make up for that.

Sorry, I meant to say Robert's Rebellion.

But anyway, when I played I had to get all five provinces to found the High Lordship of the Fingers.

My whole run through took about eighty in-game years (I played as Petyr Baelish and his first born son as well).

Really, really low. I know taming a dragon (if you aren't valyrian) is like 0.0001% or something, and even if you are its still only like 0.01%.

Killing a dragon isn't as hard, but it's still freakishly unlikely. (Which I really hope they change, for balancing purposes)

They have all the numbers and stuff on the website, a quick google search should bring up the equation.

I've only tried to kill as dragon once and some how succeeded as rob stark I think the fact that Danys Dragons are young helped

I've tried both the mod and the base game, and the base game is the superior experience.

Most of those crazy stories people mention still happen in the base game. I once as King of Abyssia, accidently inherited the Byzantine Empire. I didn't want the Byzantine Empire, but I married his daughter for an alliance. Well, 40 years later backstabbing and wars elevated that daughter to Empress. Which meant her son, now the King of Abyssia, was in line to inherit a giant, unstable mass of territory.

On the flipside, I've had a ton of carefully planned marriages to give my heirs causus belli for a duchy and came up with nothing. Yet, somehow, I managed to inherit the giant Byzantine Empire by accident. Go figure.

Though really it comes down to gameplay. Essentially, the mod throw a bunch of tools at you that really don't come together. It is a bit like the Sims, we're players choose something to focus on, and play till they get bored. And I noticed a lot of players end their games here "because I got bored." What exactly are you trying to do? Rewrite Westerosi history in an amusing way? Sure, once you do that, then the setting is unrecognizable.

With the base game, I feel a much stronger sense of history and progression, plus a much more palatable feeling of danger that if you don't get marry the wife with the right traits and educate your child properly, you are going to get a weak character next round. And his unpopularity will risk everything! You also get to watch in dread as a duke slowly builds up territory and titles, and you can't stop him unless you upset all your other vassals, or until he rebels.

Plus, there is no need to go to the intrigue menu, except when you want to do intrigue.

Still, both offer a fun experience that doesn't exist in any other game I know of. So, I recommend them both.

So, I'm normally pretty bad at this game (I usually fail miserably when my heir screws things up) but had some amazing luck in my last game: playing as Dany just as I was taking Yunkai Stannis died in battle and Shireen became the Queen of the IT with myself as the heir. I promptly staged a plot to assassinate her and became the Queen in one fell swoop and got the entire Small COuncil in the bargain, including Littlefinger (now my Castelan). Davos was one of the first to declare for me LOL and recenltly Doran has decided to join my wars. Now I just need to deal with Robb Stark. I was going to marry him but it turns out Dany can't marry, which is annoying. Oh well. You get some hilarious stuff.

I've tried both the mod and the base game, and the base game is the superior experience.

Most of those crazy stories people mention still happen in the base game. I once as King of Abyssia, accidently inherited the Byzantine Empire. I didn't want the Byzantine Empire, but I married his daughter for an alliance. Well, 40 years later backstabbing and wars elevated that daughter to Empress. Which meant her son, now the King of Abyssia, was in line to inherit a giant, unstable mass of territory.

On the flipside, I've had a ton of carefully planned marriages to give my heirs causus belli for a duchy and came up with nothing. Yet, somehow, I managed to inherit the giant Byzantine Empire by accident. Go figure.

Though really it comes down to gameplay. Essentially, the mod throw a bunch of tools at you that really don't come together. It is a bit like the Sims, we're players choose something to focus on, and play till they get bored. And I noticed a lot of players end their games here "because I got bored." What exactly are you trying to do? Rewrite Westerosi history in an amusing way? Sure, once you do that, then the setting is unrecognizable.

With the base game, I feel a much stronger sense of history and progression, plus a much more palatable feeling of danger that if you don't get marry the wife with the right traits and educate your child properly, you are going to get a weak character next round. And his unpopularity will risk everything! You also get to watch in dread as a duke slowly builds up territory and titles, and you can't stop him unless you upset all your other vassals, or until he rebels.

Plus, there is no need to go to the intrigue menu, except when you want to do intrigue.

Still, both offer a fun experience that doesn't exist in any other game I know of. So, I recommend them both.

I think with the base game it depends on how well versed you are in the histories of the era, and what it is you want to do. I've had some fun with the base game but generally I prefer the mod - the mod is the reason I downloaded the game - though the saves I enjoyed with the base game I really enjoyed. As a Scot the experience can be a bit underwhelming if you want to rewrite history from a Scottish point of view, as many families and clans aren't/can't properly be represented. But I have had fun creating a McAlpin empire.

I think with the base game it depends on how well versed you are in the histories of the era, and what it is you want to do. I've had some fun with the base game but generally I prefer the mod - the mod is the reason I downloaded the game - though the saves I enjoyed with the base game I really enjoyed. As a Scot the experience can be a bit underwhelming if you want to rewrite history from a Scottish point of view, as many families and clans aren't/can't properly be represented. But I have had fun creating a McAlpin empire.

I was not able to enjoy the "base game" without the old gods DLC. When you get that DLC its okay.. But its hard to enter it when you get the first display its sooo hard not to just check on to the "game of thrones" option.. I do it automatically :(

So, I'm normally pretty bad at this game (I usually fail miserably when my heir screws things up) but had some amazing luck in my last game: playing as Dany just as I was taking Yunkai Stannis died in battle and Shireen became the Queen of the IT with myself as the heir. I promptly staged a plot to assassinate her and became the Queen in one fell swoop and got the entire Small COuncil in the bargain, including Littlefinger (now my Castelan). Davos was one of the first to declare for me LOL and recenltly Doran has decided to join my wars. Now I just need to deal with Robb Stark. I was going to marry him but it turns out Dany can't marry, which is annoying. Oh well. You get some hilarious stuff.

Dany can't marry because she has the widowed trait, which she looses in a scripted event you skipped because you got the IT, you can still lose it randomley, but there is also the issue of dany not being able to have children until an event you skipped because you got the IT, so unless Aegon shows up, you lose after Dany dies.

I am probably the only one here who enjoys the game even without the mod, im pretty good at it.

I'd kick your ass :box:

We could play online.. I probably cant play online with the GOT mod now, since Ive edited so much about it (made my own custom house with own custom valyrian steel sword etc-> and changed a LOT of different stuff). Soo we could play the normal mod against each other.

I'd kick your ass :box:

We could play online.. I probably cant play online with the GOT mod now, since Ive edited so much about it (made my own custom house with own custom valyrian steel sword etc-> and changed a LOT of different stuff). Soo we could play the normal mod against each other.

Oh yeah? I wen't from the duke of Verona to Emperor of all Europe in 150 Years. :box:

Last time I tried to organize a multiplayer game on here, it got absoloutley zero steam. So if you guys feel like duking it out, I'm joining in and am ready to take you both out.
:fencing: :fencing: :fencing:
Let's see how many people we can get; a big multiplayer game would be totally awesome.
@Viserys- The Last Dragon, if you want to do the GOT mod, you can probably download a second version of the mod and keep it in it's stock form. I'm not sure if that would over write anything though...

Last time I tried to organize a multiplayer game on here, it got absoloutley zero steam. So if you guys feel like duking it out, I'm joining in and am ready to take you both out.

:fencing: :fencing: :fencing:

Let's see how many people we can get; a big multiplayer game would be totally awesome.

@Viserys- The Last Dragon, if you want to do the GOT mod, you can probably download a second version of the mod and keep it in it's stock form. I'm not sure if that would over write anything though...

Well, I could always download a new version.. but then I had to backup all my stuff, and a lot of my scripts would have to be implemented again when I wanted to play my own version.. Soo a lot of work. But I would do it if we tried to get a game up and running :)

And Gibzit; bring it :)

I was not able to enjoy the "base game" without the old gods DLC. When you get that DLC its okay.. But its hard to enter it when you get the first display its sooo hard not to just check on to the "game of thrones" option.. I do it automatically :(

I found the base game much more enjoyable after adding various DLC, but even then I only played it in between updates of the GofT mod. I'm resisting the urge to install 0.9.1 whist it's still in beta.

Archived