Crusader Kings II Game of Thrones Mod

TimJames

Playing as my own invented house of the North, I was in control of Deepwood Motte. Through marriage pacts and small plots, I managed to gain control of the Dreadfort, Last Hearth and had claims on Karhold and White Harbor. I felt absolutely unstoppable, but something kept me from trying to take the whole North, I dunno I guess I felt a very strong loyalty to the Starks...that was until some cruel little bastard managed to inherit the Kingdom of the North, and revoked the Last Hearth from me before imprisoning my character and sending him to the wall. At first, I sort of forgave him, my son was a pretty good character and I had been investing gifts in him on a monthly basis throughout his years so he started with a pretty damn impressive coffer, my dad rose quickly in the Nights Watch and became First Ranger within a month; so I wasn't too annoyed. Then the King had my father, my mother, and my son assassinated.

It's safe to say that my Vengeance was swift, assured and brutal.

I love it so much, play the multiplayer on a regular basis with my friends and girlfriend and it's honestly one of my favourite games. Setting up is a pain in the arse however.

i.e. i could now literally get the whole bundle with all the minutia of DLC for the price that I paid for just the base game last week.

I understand your pain bro, I tried to by the game for a friend as a gift for £30, then could have gotten him all the DLC included for the same price the week after. So annoying.

Playing as House Piper actually turned out to be the most epic game I've ever seen of this! I started in ACoK scenario and really didn't do much except to lend my strength to the Northern armies, but the war turned out completely different.

-> No Renly death by specter, Red Wedding, or Wildling Invasion

-> Dany was irrelevant and eventually was killed by some random Dothraki. I don't think she made it past the Red Waste, although Jorah Mormont lived on...my only real accomplishment was bringing his son (by Doreah) back to become lord of Acorn Hall.

and there ends the mundane:

-> Robb won his independence and was able to return to the North in time to throw out the Ironborn. He reigned as King in the North till old age.

-> Margery Tyrell died under suspicious circumstances, but not before giving birth to a son by Renly. Renly would go on to capture the Iron Throne. Jaime's Kingsguard membership was revoked and he became Tywin's heir. Cersei and the bastards somehow got exiled to Braavos. I don't know how exactly it came to happen, but Joffrey was turned into a Eunuch :bawl: and Myrcella was blinded. :cool4: They would live long and useless lives, except Cersei who would die of depression. Tommen, on the other hand, rose through the Braavosi system and ended up as a steward and eventually a landholder with the nickname "Greatlion."

-> Renly remarried and had two other children, but was a disastrous ruler in every way. Jaime started his own independence war. Renly completely screwed this up by losing his entire army in failed Crecy style battles. He gained the nickname "the Unworthy" and was killed in personal combat by Loras Tyrell "The Oathbreaker." :o

-> The war was won for Westerland independence...but not before Jaime Lannister himself was killed by no less than young Steffon's Kingsguard Edric Storm in personal combat! Edric would inherit the title "Kingslayer" for this deed, but this time as a true honorific for killing the disgraced former Lord Commander and King of the Rock, Jaime Lannister, in the battle of King's Landing.

The Lannisters with their child king would go on to win the war by winning conquests of the rest of the Crownlands, but the Baratheons would go on to rule five kingdoms from the Iron Throne. The vast North would remain and independent kingdom, with the resources and the will to fight the wildling invaders (I don't think the Others are a part of this mod). A wealthy Kingdom of the Rock (Westerlands) would also go its own way, apparently living in peace and prosperity apart from the Iron Throne.

Oh yeah, that Baratheon King Steffon? That was the only child of Renly and Margery Tyrell...so Mace got his wish after all.

oh yeah, Balon Greyjoy lived to the age of 90 and never went to war again! Also Theon became a Drowned God zealot. Imagine that. The only thing that was seriously off in the whole play through was that King Robb converted to the Seven.

I love the preponderance of personal combat in this mod! The regular game is great, but the mod designers did such a good job translating it to Westeros.

Love it, that's a great play-through.

The first time I tried to play the CoK scenario, Robb was killed in personal combat by Balon in their very first battle and the North and Roverlands became a part of the Iron Kingdom, which was a bit upsetting to see!

I played a Crowned Stag scenario as Stannis. Stannis was ever the dutiful brother during Robert's Reign, leading his armies and defeating his enemies. When Robert died, he left one son and three daughters. The son put Stannis in charge of the army that was invading the Vale to bring Harry the Heir back into line. Alas, the young king decided to fight in the frontline like his father and was killed in battle.

The crown then passed to Robert's middle daughter, who had a young son which put her ahead of her older sister. The older sister started a succession crisis to take the throne and the realm threatened to fall apart. Stannis loyally served the queen, defeating both Harry and the Queen's sister. In recognition for his loyalty, the Queen made Stannis Lord Paramount of the Vale! It was to be the second most gratifying moment of his life. The oldest sister was forgiven her treason. Next, Renly and his wife Arianne Martell rebelled to take the Iron Throne and were swiftly defeated. The Queen forgave her uncle his treason, to much grinding of teeth in the Eyrie.

Then the oldest sister rebelled again, and this time the Queen abdicated in favor of her sister, much to Stannis' shock. She immediately began planning her return to power though, and started a faction to overthrow the eldest sister. War broke out again, and Stannis once again put the middle sister on the throne.

Renly rebelled two more times, and each time he was defeated and forgiven. In what was the most gratifying moment of Stannis' life, the lords of the Stormlands finally begged him to take over and put a stop to the needless and destructive rebellions. Stannis was only too happy to oblige, and thus became Lord Paramount of the Stormlands, The Vale, and the Lord of Dragonstone.

Eventually, the middle daughter of Robert Baratheon died, and her conniving older sister managed to take the throne after murdering the old queen's young son. This ended all loyalty Stannis had to the Iron Throne, and he married his son to Danaerys Targaeryan. Danaeryas, for some strange reason, was enamored of Lord Stannis, and managed to seduce him. Most probably, Stannis was so confused at being considered attractive to the opposite sex that he didn't know what was happening until it was already over.

So Stannis declared war to put Danaerys on the throne, with his son as consort and their children to be Baratheon Kings. With an unpopular queen on the throne and the most experienced military commander in the Seven Kingdoms leading the armies of the Vale and the Stormlands, the war was swift and successful.

When Danaerys was on the throne, she looked to her Goodfather and former lover with suspicion. The most powerful lord in the Seven Kingdoms had personal knowledge of her infidelity. She lured Stannis to King's Landing for the coronation, and once there, she clapped him in irons and threw him in the black cells.

Alone in the dark, Stannis could only reflect that justice was being served, and he was being rightly punished for defiling his son's marriage bed and betraying the lawful queen of the seven kingdoms to put his own family on the throne.

Mad Queen Daenerys strikes again! Woe to the lord who invites her back.

I honestly have a hard time playing against the Starks from Ned onwards. I'd like to play the Blackfyre rebellion next time. It's kind of hard not to sympathize with them a little bit from the Dunk and Egg stories. I get the impression that Daemon Blackfyre was much like King Robert; people supported him because he was what they thought a king should be like. I'm guessing his stats are good but, as has been seen, anyone can be killed in battle.

For me, Marq Piper was easily able to pick off random Lannister lords in battle but he was killed when I had him challenge Balon Swann.

Mad Queen Daenerys strikes again! Woe to the lord who invites her back.

I honestly have a hard time playing against the Starks from Ned onwards. I'd like to play the Blackfyre rebellion next time. It's kind of hard not to sympathize with them a little bit from the Dunk and Egg stories. I get the impression that Daemon Blackfyre was much like King Robert; people supported him because he was what they thought a king should be like. I'm guessing his stats are good but, as has been seen, anyone can be killed in battle.

For me, Marq Piper was easily able to pick off random Lannister lords in battle but he was killed when I had him challenge Balon Swann.

I like your avatar. It's funny cause it's bigger than a regular hat.

Trebeck!

Anyone know how to lose the dynastic stain trait?

Started as KITN Torrhen, and over the course of his life managed to marry his son to Argon's eldest daughter; he had two sons, a bastard and one legitimate. I killed them both to be sure my son's line inherited the throne, and Argon needed the North too badly at the time(I controlled the riverlands by this point) to do anything about Torrhen, and eventually I killed Argon as well when my grandson came of age. Vhagar is maimed and Balerion is dead, and Meraxes was floating around for awhile until my grandson managed to tame it in 80 AL while on his throne. However he has the dynastic stain from everyone learning Torrhen killed off the male Targaryens, and the dragons seem to be dying off. This coupled with the inbreeding I've done to keep the Targ genes strong along with the genius gene I got from Torrhens second wife looks like it will be the bane of House Stark on the Iron throne, which suffered through two queens who both let parts of the realm declare independence. It took ten years pre Dragon as king to bring them all back into the fold, but my two sons have the inbred trait and my only daughter didn't inherit her father's genius so I will probably lose the throne unless I get it to pass to the stark cadet branch.

My Targaryen game in which I try to last 300 years on the IT is reaching a boiling point with many dragons having been killed off in the war between New Valyria(which I set up with a cadet branch early on and they are now valyrian religion) though we seem tobe on good terms with the current emperor and they can't match my king militarily or financially. On year 180 in that and suffering through the reign of a possessed king who doesn't have his own Dragon, and worse decided to become a drowned God faithful before I was in control of him directly. Now the vale and north are in cahoots and both run by a stark, and i expect them to rebel soon. Damn first men :/

One fun game I had was playing as Robb Stark in the Clash of Kings Scenario.

I immediately married Margaery Tyrell, hoping that Highgarden would support my war for independence. Also because f@#k the Freys!

They didn't. Mace Tyrell just sat on his rump the whole war.

Fortunately, I was able to Capture Kings Landing. Rather than crown Stannis, I left a power vacuum because f*%k the Southlands!

Because Joffery was in prison, I won the war and gained independence. My next act was to execute Joffery, Cersei, Jamie, and Tywin. All of this following the tradition of doing it myself (using Ice no less). I released Tyrion from prison and he became the next lord of Casterley Rock; he actually liked me because I released him and didn't cut his head off (also because I agreed to let him, Tommen, and Myrcella stay under house arrest instead of in the dungeon). I kept Tommen and Myrcella alive as hostages, and had Hodor educate them.

That is literally every playthrough I do as the Starks. Robb & Margaery forever.

Mace used to support you if you did that, but he doesn't anymore because of some patch where the game weights different religions much higher, ie. he's abandoning you because of the Old Gods/Seven thing.

Playing as House Piper actually turned out to be the most epic game I've ever seen of this! I started in ACoK scenario and really didn't do much except to lend my strength to the Northern armies, but the war turned out completely different.

-> No Renly death by specter, Red Wedding, or Wildling Invasion

-> Dany was irrelevant and eventually was killed by some random Dothraki. I don't think she made it past the Red Waste, although Jorah Mormont lived on...my only real accomplishment was bringing his son (by Doreah) back to become lord of Acorn Hall.

and there ends the mundane:

-> Robb won his independence and was able to return to the North in time to throw out the Ironborn. He reigned as King in the North till old age.

-> Margery Tyrell died under suspicious circumstances, but not before giving birth to a son by Renly. Renly would go on to capture the Iron Throne. Jaime's Kingsguard membership was revoked and he became Tywin's heir. Cersei and the bastards somehow got exiled to Braavos. I don't know how exactly it came to happen, but Joffrey was turned into a Eunuch :bawl: and Myrcella was blinded. :cool4: They would live long and useless lives, except Cersei who would die of depression. Tommen, on the other hand, rose through the Braavosi system and ended up as a steward and eventually a landholder with the nickname "Greatlion."

-> Renly remarried and had two other children, but was a disastrous ruler in every way. Jaime started his own independence war. Renly completely screwed this up by losing his entire army in failed Crecy style battles. He gained the nickname "the Unworthy" and was killed in personal combat by Loras Tyrell "The Oathbreaker." :o

-> The war was won for Westerland independence...but not before Jaime Lannister himself was killed by no less than young Steffon's Kingsguard Edric Storm in personal combat! Edric would inherit the title "Kingslayer" for this deed, but this time as a true honorific for killing the disgraced former Lord Commander and King of the Rock, Jaime Lannister, in the battle of King's Landing.

The Lannisters with their child king would go on to win the war by winning conquests of the rest of the Crownlands, but the Baratheons would go on to rule five kingdoms from the Iron Throne. The vast North would remain and independent kingdom, with the resources and the will to fight the wildling invaders (I don't think the Others are a part of this mod). A wealthy Kingdom of the Rock (Westerlands) would also go its own way, apparently living in peace and prosperity apart from the Iron Throne.

Oh yeah, that Baratheon King Steffon? That was the only child of Renly and Margery Tyrell...so Mace got his wish after all.

oh yeah, Balon Greyjoy lived to the age of 90 and never went to war again! Also Theon became a Drowned God zealot. Imagine that. The only thing that was seriously off in the whole play through was that King Robb converted to the Seven.

I love the preponderance of personal combat in this mod! The regular game is great, but the mod designers did such a good job translating it to Westeros.

That is epic.

Wish there was a decent FAQ for this as I am dumbfounded at the start and always end up going back to the Civ V GOT mod for my SOIAF gaming fix.

It's easy, it's all just about marriage alliances and claims. There's a tutorial for it as well, what are you having trouble with?

I just find the menus so unituiative and I'm not really sure what I should really be doing at the start..

For example in Civ V, you need to first get your city up and running before eventually declaring war etc. but I'm not sure of the following course of action with this.

Managed to get the Iron Throne as Littlefinger. By marrying Sansa and using the Riverlands to press her claim on the North.

A dream come true for Petyr Baelish, I'm sure. Marrying her off to Harry the Heir doesn't work very well within the game's mechanics.

King Baelish does have a good ring to it.

I just find the menus so unituiative and I'm not really sure what I should really be doing at the start..

For example in Civ V, you need to first get your city up and running before eventually declaring war etc. but I'm not sure of the following course of action with this.

If you have a son or daughter, marry them into a family that will benefit you or could be made to benefit you; if you're a minor Lord, first you go for the high lordship. If you're a vannerman to a Lord paramount, you should find a way to take their place. Marry your heir to his daughter and then his son will have a claim on the title you can press.

As house Hightower I married a bastard daughter of aegon targaryen. I killed his only son and one of his two daughters inherited. My son was able to press the claim through the bastard line and I took the throne after I became Lord paramount of the reach. The queen who inherited was insane so she was easy to depose

Try to play the base game as King of Scotland, which is about the right size nation to begin understanding the systems in play.

I will also say this is a very different game than Civ V, albeit both games are in the strategy genre. CK2 has an almost "The Sims" approach. You are not your nation. You are playing a guy who owns some stuff, including some land. You have vassals who own are technically under you and part of your nation, but they own their land, not you. They will send you support, including gold and troops, if they like you. So, its sort of like the Sims where instead of just having people stomping their feet in your direction because you've been acting like a jerk, they try to kill you. Or, they'll try to kill you because they like your stuff.

Also, your armies will mostly remain unsummoned, sitting as potential in castles until you actually go to war. Because once you summon them, you have to pay their upkeep and that can get expensive.

I'd start with a powerful high lordship; House Hightower, Manderly, Dayne, Reyne, Blackwood, Mallister, Royce, Tarth

The real play in the game is actually just trying to get your dynasty to survive. I had a game as House Targayen where my mad king was deposed and imprisoned, then they revoked my last title dragonstone and boom game over.

I suggest creating your own ruler as well. My last game I was a clubfooted ugly inbred genius who was one of the best fighters in the world

Finally, using the Feast for Crows starting point, I have take the Iron Throne as Stannis the Mannis! Got lucky and Aegon offed himself assaulting a keep and thus ended his war, the rest was a pretty straight forward siege of the Dreadfort followed by Kings Landing. I invited Victarion to my court at the beginning and declined Asha's trial by combat, later my wife died and I took Asha as my wife and used her claim on the iron isles. Honestly it was the most boring playthrough yet.

Archived