Most interesting relationships in ASOIAF?

Elia Sand

Tyrion and Jamie. That last scene where it all came out just broke my heart.

Yup. The constant reminders of "where do whores go" "and Moon Boy for all I know" are rough too. What a brotherhood wracked by Tywin and Cersei's selfish manipulations. I love these guys. Tyrion has always been a favorite of mine, and Jaime really grew on me in AFFC.

Thrilled to see how things develop for both of them in TWOW. Hope they get to work things out together, but I have a feeling Jaime is going to do another stupid thing for love and get himself killed. For Tyrion, for Tommen, against Tywin and Cersei or something in between. But maybe Goldenhand the Just makes it through the winds to see his brother make one hell of a return...

I am all about Sandor and Sansa. I refuse to call them "Sansan" because it sounds so saccharine and juvenile. And one of the main reasons I support a romanctic relationship between them is BECAUSE it would be problematic. ::Rubs hands together gleefully::

What is the problem with Aerya?

Edmure and Catelyn.

There's a strange relationship. Seem like the kind of siblings that "love" each other because they're siblings and it's expected.

Nothing strange there. Most people's relationships with family members are like that. The reason is mainly that you don't choose your relatives, they're allotted to you by chance, so you might dislike them or feel indifferent towards them, but all the same, not loving them somehow feels wrong. There's no logical explanation for it, we just feel compelled (partly due to social expectations, and partly due to biology) to love our relatives, especially our closest relatives, like siblings and parents. For example, I have very little in common with my mother. I don't dislike her, she's a perfectly nice person, but I don't like her either. I also spend very little time with her because our interests, tastes, ideas don't overlap. Still, if you were to ask me if I love her, I would say yes without hesitation.

Littlefinger and Sansa: interesting because the nature of the relationship is hard to define - is it paternal, erotic, a mentorship? It's also interesting because the two of them are not above using each other, but it seems like there might actually be some affection on his part.

Brienne-Jaime: particularly interesting on his part. it's pretty clear from her POVs that she has a crush on him. But what exactly is it that he feels for her? She must be pretty special, too, because she's the only woman he's ever cared about that isn't Cersei or a family member.

Robert-Ned: interesting because they seem like polar opposites, and Robert's behaviour seems to go against Ned's honour code

Cersei-Jaime: obviously

Jaime and his kids

There are many more...

Most of the chemistries I most enjoyed were relatively ephemeral affairs, a la Jon/Tyrion, Tyrion/Oberyn, jaime/Genna, Jaime/Devan or Jon/Stannis.

Of the ones with a lot of screen time, Tyrion/Bronn, Dany/Jorah, Jaime/Brienne and Jaime/Tyrion, although the latter actually doesn't take place as much as you'd think. Their last scene was I think their longest conversation by a mile.

Jaime/Tyrion, although the latter actually doesn't take place as much as you'd think. Their last scene was I think their longest conversation by a mile.

Yeah, one improvement by the TV show is that it featured far more Jaime-Tyrion scenes than the books did. It's a great natural chemistry that GRRM didn't showcase enough, IMO

1. Daenerys and Missandei - They are like sisters/mother-daughter/best friends/queen-subject/a whole lot of complicated shit

Jon and Arya - Healthiest sibling relationship in the series

Rhaegar and Lyanna - there is so much I want to know

Jon and Ghost - For a while I wanted a white husky just as silent and awesome as Ghost. Seeing as I'm black, we would look so cool together! Just saying

Jaime and Tyrion - I just don't understand how everyone in this series underestimates Jaime [especially intellect-wise] so massively, especially Tyrion

Tyrion and Cersei - They are like two people trying to kill each other, each of them failing miserably, each of them regrouping bitterly, neither of them actually triumphing

Littlefinger and Sansa: interesting because the nature of the relationship is hard to define - is it paternal, erotic, a mentorship? It's also interesting because the two of them are not above using each other, but it seems like there might actually be some affection on his part.

Are you sure you're talking about Littlefinger and Sansa? The idea that that's a relationship of equality that Sansa entered out of her own free will and should be affectionate towards him but is "not above using him"... :blink: Maybe you confused them with Cersei and Jaime?

1. Jaime and Tyrion - I just don't understand how everyone in this series underestimates Jaime [especially intellect-wise] so massively, especially Tyrion

You're forgetting how Jaime was before getting captured and maimed. Reckless, hot-headed, eager for glory (but not responsibility). He was basically an extra-douchey but super-talented jock

Are you sure you're talking about Littlefinger and Sansa? The idea that that's a relationship of equality that Sansa entered out of her own free will and should be affectionate towards him but is "not above using him"... :blink: Maybe you confused them with Cersei and Jaime?

You seem to be reading a lot into that post. Where did SpottedCat claim that it was an equal relationship, or that Sansa should feel affection toward him?

You seem to be reading a lot into that post. Where did SpottedCat claim that it was an equal relationship, or that Sansa should feel affection toward him?

"Littlefinger and Sansa: interesting because the nature of the relationship is hard to define - is it paternal, erotic, a mentorship? It's also interesting because the two of them are not above using each other, but it seems like there might actually be some affection on his part."

That's the impression left by this quote, isn't it? I don't think it's something you would say if it's not a somewhat equal relationship that both parties entered on their free will. It implies it is, and that Sansa "using" Littlefinger (to stay alive?) is something not morally good.

You're forgetting how Jaime was before getting captured and maimed. Reckless, hot-headed, eager for glory (but not responsibility). He was basically an extra-douchey but super-talented jock

I don't think Jaime changed all that much. I think he just got a POV.

That's true. He does change somewhat, but not as much as people seem to think. All the things that happened to him with Aerys, all his disillusionment about knighthood and vows, the defining moment of kingslaying, all that happened 15 years earlier. We only get his memories later, but he certainly seemed to a lot more than "an extra-talented bu douchy jock".

Cersei disagrees. In AFFC Jaime is conscious of his own change - he reminds himself to be more cautious in the field, starts taking his Kingsguard duties seriously like he never did before, etc.

"Littlefinger and Sansa: interesting because the nature of the relationship is hard to define - is it paternal, erotic, a mentorship? It's also interesting because the two of them are not above using each other, but it seems like there might actually be some affection on his part."

That's the impression left by this quote, isn't it? I don't think it's something you would say if it's not a somewhat equal relationship that both parties entered on their free will. It implies it is, and that Sansa "using" Littlefinger (to stay alive?) is something not morally good.

Why does "using" necessarily mean equality or free will? Manipulating/seducing your captor is an age-old survival tactic. I can see how saying someone is "not above" something could seem like a condemnation of that thing, but I still think you're reaching a bit.

Archived