Most interesting relationships in ASOIAF?

Elia Sand

Cersei disagrees. In AFFC Jaime is conscious of his own change - he reminds himself to be more cautious in the field, starts taking his Kingsguard duties seriously like he never did before, etc.

Why does "using" necessarily mean equality or free will? Manipulating/seducing your captor is an age-old survival tactic. I can see how saying someone is "not above" something could seem like a condemnation of that thing, but I still think you're reaching a bit.

It does sound like that, I don't think that's reaching at all, and it also puts the two of them at the same level: "The two of them are not above using each other"... You wouldn't say that about a captor and captive, would you?

It may have just been poorly phrased, but I just want to clarify what was meant.

but he certainly seemed to a lot more than "an extra-talented bu douchy jock".

I was referring to how he acted and was perceived; like a spoiled, arrogant jerk who knows he could take you in a fight. That is the impression he gave everyone else, who couldn't read his thoughts.

Kyoshi said he(she) didn't understand why people undervalued Jaime's intellect. When did he demonstrate some great intellect?

I was referring to how he acted and was perceived; like a spoiled, arrogant jerk who knows he could take you in a fight. That is the impression he gave everyone else, who couldn't read his thoughts.

Kyoshi said he(she) didn't understand why people undervalued Jaime's intellect. When did he demonstrate some great intellect?

Oh, of course he did not demonstrate intellect. Jaime was very impulsive and had been used to using his sword to solve every problem, that's what he was valued for, and he had a certain careless attitude about him (maybe as a result of his disillusionment, he just enjoyed "fighting and fucking" and said those were the only times he felt alive) - he didn't need to utilize any intellect. That changes when he loses his hand and has to change his entire way of dealing with things. So, in that sense, he changed a lot. He also changed his priorities when he started getting disillusioned with Cersei, and through his relationship with Brienne.

I just don't think that he changed as much as people sometimes claim. If we got his POV earlier, we would have learned the whole backstory about Aerys much earlier. We do get to know Jaime pretty well in the scene with Catelyn in ACOK, and there are lots of indications about Aerys and everything, and he didn't look like a "dumb jock" when he was talking about conflicting vows, and everything else he says in that scene.

sansa and petyr . Its twisted and fascinating and i have no idea how it could play out. mostly because its almost like 4 people between them, the distinction thats been mentioned of 'petyr' and 'littlefinger' and now we have 'sansa' and 'Alayne'. Plus they really have a hades and persephone vibe

Solely based on the show i loved arya and the hound. Those two were like a comedy duo.

Dany and Jorah. He's so loyal to her and its so touching.

Petyr and varys. lets be real, they want to get rid of one another, but they'd be a little sad about it. Their game would be too easy with no one on the same level to play with. Frenemies? lol

It does sound like that, I don't think that's reaching at all, and it also puts the two of them at the same level: "The two of them are not above using each other"... You wouldn't say that about a captor and captive, would you?

It may have just been poorly phrased, but I just want to clarify what was meant.

I agree.

#1 - Roose and Ramsay. I'm surprised nobody brought that yet. I'm really intrigued by what Roose is really thinks and plans for Ramsay and Ramsay just has so many daddy issues...

#2 - Jorah and Dany - twisted and yet touching.

#3 -Arya and Sansa - so sad they don't get to interact anymore but its still interesting to see them thinking about each other. The love-hate relationship they have.

And there's of course SanSan, Dany & Viserys , Tywin and any of his kids, and of course Cersei/Cersei - you could write an entire book focusing on her relationship with herself only

right... since I focussed on mostly my absolute favourite relationship (Theon/Ramsay) in my first post in this thread, but people are mentioning lots, I will go ahead and just mention my favorite ones :

Theon/Ramsay

Theon/Robb

Theon/Jon

Theon/Balon

Theon/Asha

Theon/Roose

Theon/Jeyne

Theon/Kyra

Theon/Wex

Theon/Dagmer

Ramsay/Roose

Ramsay/Reek (the original)

Ramsay/Domeric

Lancel/Cersei

Lancel/Jaime

Lancel/Tyrion

Lancel/Sansa

Jaime/Cersei

Tyrion/Cersei

Jaime/Tyrion

Sansa/littlefinger

Sansa/Arya

Sansa/Jeyne

right... since I focussed on mostly my absolute favourite relationship (Theon/Ramsay) in my first post in this thread, but people are mentioning lots, I will go ahead and just mention my favorite ones :

Theon/Ramsay

Theon/Robb

Theon/Jon

Theon/Balon

Theon/Asha

Theon/Roose

Theon/Jeyne

Theon/Kyra

Theon/Wex

Theon/Dagmer

Ramsay/Roose

Ramsay/Reek (the original)