The root causes of Stannis love

Tiliana

If Tywin had a daughter/son with Shireen's greyscale, who knows how he would treat her

No other king would appoint a low-born like Davos as Hand of the King.

This is the main reason why I love Stannis. Out of all the high lords, I think he shows the most respect for any person, small folk or high lord. He doesn't just look at your appearance or wealth to judge you.

Have you seen Cersei's Small Council? Aurane Waters. Qyburn. Her closest and most trusted confidante? Taena of Myr. If you love Stannis for his democratic approach, Cersei deserves your love just as much. Does she have it?

Have you seen Cersei's Small Council? Aurane Waters. Qyburn. Her closest and most trusted confidante? Taena of Myr. If you love Stannis for his democratic approach, Cersei deserves your love just as much. Does she have it?

Except davos is loyal and awesome. Aurane waters is a snake in the grass. Who she picked because she thought she could control. Do you think stannis picked davos bc he thought davos was a yes man?

For me? I was a Stannis fan before it was cool to be so. Way back in 2011.

What did it for me? There's plenty unappealing about him: He is harsh spoken, mean, and unforgiving.

What did it for me, is he cares about justice or doing "the right thing" when a majority of people of his social class, care only about doing what is good for themselves, whether it is right or good or otherwise. Ned was definitely in the minority in Westeros, just in terms of his moral compass.

Truthfully, when I read AGOT for the first time, I found very good, but very depressing at the same time. It seemed a very intriguing and interesting book full of cool characters, but written by an incredibly odd, callous and cruel author, who crippled the lords son for no reason, and made Jon Snow ( one of my original favorites) being cruelly treated by a bitch of a "stepmother", and forced to be at some freezing wall, and not around his brothers and sisters for the rest of his life.

I kept waiting for Jon to join Robb and the Northern army, and some reconciliation with Cat so he would be "accepted" and got sort of discouraged when that didn't happen.

I also thought Ned might live, and might help Robert become a better person before he died ( I knew he was marked for death from the first chapter I read about him. I also thought the Lannisters were much more evil than they turned out to be.)

I guess I sort of had hope for Stannis and his claim to kingship. Finally, I thought, here was a person who was harsh and hard, but not selfishly, willfully cruel and spiteful like the rest of the awful Westeros nobles ( which included Cat at that time for me.)

Sure he burns people, but that never seemed out of spite or hatred, just an awful "things have to be done mentality." I know he's controversial, and many people hate him, but Im just explaining why I originally liked him so much.

People can like Stannis for whatever reasons, why does everybody bother about it ? Stannis has his fans ; deal with it.

In fact I am happy that a character like Stannis has a large fandom than say, Roose Bolton or Gregor Clegane. Stannis will clearly do a lot of important things before he die. And even when he dies, it will be a heroic death for him. Deal with that too.

Except davos is loyal and awesome. Aurane waters is a snake in the grass. Who she picked because she thought she could control. Do you think stannis picked davos bc he thought davos was a yes man?

So, Stannis' virtue was not his egalitarianism, paralleling Cersei's, but his better nose with picking advisers? What happened to Alester Florent, again, and why?

So, Stannis' virtue was not his egalitarianism, paralleling Cersei's, but his better nose with picking advisers? What happened to Alester Florent, again, and why?

Alester was a traitor, but a very different kind. He never up right abandoned his king the way Waters did. Alester Florents crime was trying to forge a peace without his kings consent. It should also be of note that Stannis was in a state of depression when he gave Florent the office in the first place.

You do realize that Cersei only gave Waters a seat on her counsel because he looked like Rhaegar.

Alester was a traitor, but a very different kind. He never up right abandoned his king the way Waters did. Alester Florents crime was trying to forge a peace without his kings consent. It should also be of note that Stannis was in a state of depression when he gave Florent the office in the first place.

So, Ser Alester was burned alive for actually not that big an offense? Gotcha.

You do realize that Cersei only gave Waters a seat on her counsel because he looked like Rhaegar.

You do realize that isn't the only reason? She believed, rightfully or not, that he had the ability. And I don't remember anybody thinking that Qyburn was especially pretty.

I feel the hostile responses in this thread are directly in relation to what I posited in the OP, that anything less than designation of Stannis as a hero is met with rancor. And I see that there are many who place Stannis above Jon Snow, another quality of the Stannis fanbase I have seen elsewhere (as described in the OP which I suspect few have actually read). Maybe the direction of this discussion should be why that is exactly? Is it because you find Stannis to be the more interesting character? Activity vs passivity

And of course there are those angry about the repetition of this thread type when threads on this topic pose the open question of why Stannis is liked when I am on the other hand, offering an answer to that question

And also to those who are exhausted with the idea of questioning Stannis love as in to imply that I am saying this character shouldn't have fans. That is not what I ever suggested. What I am saying is that the Stannis fanbase is much larger and more passionate than anything that is justified in the text. He has taken on a sort of cult like following and I am questioning why that is, not "Ugh why do people even LIKE this dork?!"

So, Ser Alester was burned alive for actually not that big an offense. Gotcha.

You do realize that isn't the only reason? She believed, rightfully or not, that he had the ability. And I don't remember anybody thinking that Qyburn was especially pretty.

Actually the book made it quite clear she only picked him because he looked like Rhaegar. It was one of the reasons why she over looked the fact that this guy was either a pirate or still loyal to Stannis. Ser Alester was still a traitor, I never once said the crime he committed was a minor offense, just that it was a different sort.

I mean you must really be high or something if you're comparing Waters to Davos man. Much less Cercie to Stannis.

So, Ser Alester was burned alive for actually not that big an offense? Gotcha.

Alester's plan would certainly result in Stannis' death. Seems kinda big. Of waters rocked up in kings landing, I'm fairly sure he'd end up chatting with Qyburn. That sounds worse than burning.

Both Cersei and Stannis are obsessed with obtaining the throne. Stannis freels obliged (not entitled) to obtain the trone. Cersei wants it for wholely solipsistic reasons. You're invited to make a value judgment on that basis.

Personally, I don't feel the need to validate or diminish someone else's fanship. What I don't get is actually hating fictional characters. Or worse hating real people who like those characters. Honestly, I read the whole series without greatly disliking any character (apart from those that were clearly set up as heels, Gregor, Hoat, etc.), even those that were in direct opposition to each other. That's part of the fun of this series. The action is driven by people with completely understandable motivations to do terrible things.

Alester's plan would certainly result in Stannis' death. Seems kinda big. Of waters rocked up in kings landing, I'm fairly sure he'd end up chatting with Qyburn. That sounds worse than burning.

Both Cersei and Stannis are obsessed with obtaining the throne. Stannis freels obliged (not entitled) to obtain the trone. Cersei wants it for wholely solipsistic reasons. You're invited to make a value judgment on that basis.

Personally, I don't feel the need to validate or diminish someone else's fanship. What I don't get is actually hating fictional characters. Or worse hating real people who like those characters. Honestly, I read the whole series without greatly disliking any character (apart from those that were clearly set up as heels, Gregor, Hoat, etc.), even those that were in direct opposition to each other. That's part of the fun of this series. The action is driven by people with completely understandable motivations to do terrible things.

That's what keeps this place going baby! 1000+ commenters engaging in pointless shit arguments while new guys join them ! Don't question it, just go with it

Archived