The root causes of Stannis love

Tiliana

That's what keeps this place going baby! 1000+ commenters engaging in pointless shit arguments while new guys join them ! Don't question it, just go with it

Fair. That'll be why I think I'm still under 100.

Except that it's already been done before. Septon Barth. Longest serving Hand ever and usually considered the best one.

Very cool character, but he's been dead a long time ago. Are there any other living kings or high lords who hold a low-born in high regard like Stannis does with Davos?

Have you seen Cersei's Small Council? Aurane Waters. Qyburn. Her closest and most trusted confidante? Taena of Myr. If you love Stannis for his democratic approach, Cersei deserves your love just as much. Does she have it?

No. She just bitch who gets a bunch of yes men she can use. None of those people have an influence on her like Davos has on Stannis.

First decent OP Stannis thread I opened in a while.

I like Stannis for what he represents to the saga as a whole and I will be sad when he ultimately meets his fate (death most likely, exile or bending the knee to someone else seems unlikely).

Seriously, claiming that there are similarities between Stannis and Cersie or their administration styles is one of the worst compairisions you can draw.

Come on. As long as people will keep saying that "Stannis is so awesome and unique, because he lets someone of low birth into his inner circle", other will wonder how actually unique and how actually awesome that is.

fans of bbc Sherlock might like Stannis because he sorta like Sherlock

I was watching season 3 of Sherlock and Stannis act like Benedict version of Sherlock(has no social skills and unaware of people feelings. but still not a bad person) and Davos is Stannis' watson

Ramsey is like Stannis Moriarty in Sherlock since both Ramsey and show Moriarty are psychopath who take sick pleasure in causing harm to others.

• 3 weeks later...

The main appeal that Stannis Baratheon has for me is that he will straight up throw down with anyone, no matter what kind of odds, whoever they are, even when he knows the whole kingdom is laughing at him behind his back, and sometimes to his face. Stannis will go to any means to win and has fought pretty much every house at some point or another. Let's go down the list -

House Tyrell - he is under siege for a year eating rats and dogs and horses and cats, flings traitors off his walls with a trebuchet, when he's like 18.

House Targaryen - takes their last stronghold and gets shit on by his brother.

Renly - willing to fight him despite being outnumbered 10 to 1 but gets out of it by birthing a shadow demon to assassinate him, which IMHO wasn't really dishonorable at all since plenty of military leaders have been assassinated in wars.

Lannister/Fake Baratheon/Tyrell alliance - Sails up to Kings Landing and attacks a city that has been taken all of one time, and that time because of treachery. Probably would have sacked it if 50,000 guys hadn't shown up at last second to completely flank the crap out of him and slaughter his men.

Wildlings - shows up and defeats a force outnumbering him 10 to 1 out in the middle of nowhere and pretty much saves the Night's Watch and prevents a horde of wildlings coming through the wall on their terms and probably raping the north.

House Greyjoy/Boltons - Takes out the ironmen at Deepwood Motte and then marches his men in a death march through deep snow to throw down with the bastard of Bolton despite not really being outfitted for it and losing most of his cavalry, probably going to win the battle.

So having fought against by my count 5 kingdoms (Reach, Stormlands, Crownlands, the North, the West) plus the area around the wall and any other places I am missing, and doing pretty well as a whole, he gets shit on by his brother and gets a crappy island out in the middle of nowhere that rakes in 0 income, having his bro screw some chick on the night of his wedding which is kind of embarrassing, getting passed up for a sweet castle by his brother in favor of none other than kid Renly, and then having the iron throne taken by incest children that have none of the Baratheon blood. Despite that, he is the only lord from pretty much anywhere who shows up at the wall when he is needed most.

He also is surprisingly tolerant of lowborns in comparison to other lords. All in all, Stannis is not a bad guy to root for, especially since he fights everyone that I hate - Boltons, Lannisters, Greyjoys.

Indeed. They have been doomed since E-Ro departed the board. A moments silence, if you please.

Seconded. Also, this place still exists, and it hasn't changed a bit> :wub:

As others have said, props to the OP for taking a Stannis Popularity thread beyond. "He's horrible, how could anyone like him?"

Seconded. Also, this place still exists, and it hasn't changed a bit> :wub:

As others have said, props to the OP for taking a Stannis Popularity thread beyond. "He's horrible, how could anyone like him?"

Glad to see some are still keeping up the good fight, it makes my heart warm to know my former comrades are still battling. :P

Stannis is mid-series filler, originally intended to keep a low key conflict going during the 5 year gap while the young Starks were in training.

With the 5 year gap scrapped, so too Stannis' s purpose has come to a sooner than originally intended end.

The Stannis fandom is a perplexing, yet ultimately doomed movement.

George made Stannis save the watch, and put him in the wall way before he decided not to do the 5 years gap. He already had a plan for him, likely the one he is walking now.

What was the plan for George? Stannis saved the watch and sit in the night fort for five years. Then he died?

It does not make sence. His path was alredy set north before not doing the 5 years gap was ever considered.

Its a plain fact, I dont know why you always come up with the same.

Sure. But if you count all chapters with Stannis in them, against, say, Tyrion, Jon or Dany, Stannis will lose this contest. And by a wide margin. Sure, hero doesn't have to be the narrator, or even a POV character, but he has to be there. And Stannis isn't Sherlock Holmes of this story.

the novels are the song of ice and fire, not AGOT.

It is not really important who succeds at the end getting the throne, So stannis is in fair race for it.

Wow, I didn't know so many people liked Stannis as well.

After the dragon fire and chains on the Blackwater, when he didn't flinch, but charged in, at the head of the boats, foot up, sword in hand, no shield, no helmet, chin first....I was sold. Even his enemies would have to respect that.

I like the comparison to Sherlock holmes, there is a level of genius justifying his anti-social behaviour. Not that he is arrogant, but that he knows none of his enemies are on his level. Even the Red Woman, who appeared to be controlling him, he would strangle that bitch if she crossed him. (ex.:after Blackwater).

His hold up at Storm's End sums up his character (resolve) to me.

What is this, version #157,693 of the same thread... already?

Stannis Baratheon.

How do I begin to explain Stannis Baratheon?

Stannis Baratheon is flawless.

I hear his teeth are insured for 10,000 golden dragons.

I hear he does R'hllor commercials... In the North.

His favourite movie is Papadopoulos & Sons.

One time he met Melisandre on a beach. She told him he was the Lord's Chosen.

One time he defeated a Wildling army north of the Wall.

It was awesome.

Stop trying to make R'hllor happen! It's not going to happen!

Archived