I Need Help

Theda Baratheon

I just want to add to the voices that have told you you are well liked here, Theda, well loved by many. <3

I don't have better advice than some of the very good advice you have received here, just wanted to tell you not to give up, and to wish you well. :)

One piece of advice, come to think of it. Makes me feel like somebody's grandmother. Drinking doesn't help, it often makes things worse. I know drinking is a very social thing, but it could magnify your negative feelings.

Theda, your "true self" does shine through in your posts here, I agree with the others, you are well liked, maybe because we get to see the real you.

Its true what Peter said, self doubt is very common, its just some of us have learned "fake it till you make it". Mind you, I dont know that that is much help with Depression!

Do try the counseling if you get a chance - through Uni maybe? If you dont know what to say, you could always print out some of your posts from here for a starting point, they would do the trick nicely. I never knew what I was going to talk about either, but the process seems to get you where you need to be, eventually.

Thanks all. I outright told Mum, she still doesn't really understand and kept asking me why I was depressed to which I had no answer because there is no one reason. She thinks its homesickness which is isnt but at least she accepts it. She doesn't really understand why or how I could be depressed but she accepts it. I think that's enough, I just don't need to tell my Dad about it, I just had to have at least one of my parents know what was up with me in case anything ever happens or just to help me, but Dad's a good enough parent anyway so I'm content. I'm sorry I made this thread I was in a really low, hopeless-about-the-future mood. I will just have to deal with his high expectations of me and his belief I'm too lazy like every person has to deal with their parents. I don't use my depression as a free pass to be lazy; it's just a part of who I am that I'm perpetually working on - I just wanted them to know it.

I guess people ask why someone is depressed in the hope that there's something that they can help fix, to make you feel better. Of course it isn't as simple as that, but we all like to feel useful, and believe we can help. I'm glad it went fairly well with your mum.

Threads like this always help others, if only just to get the advice they were too scared to ask for themselves, so don't apologise for it.

Hi Theda, indeed I must thank you for opening this thread.

I don't even have any more the force or courage or interest to ask for help, nor to get any help, but this thread has been helpful for me.

Besides that, I am not judging person generally speaking and particularly reading your posts I will never judge you or criticize you.

I'm sorry I am not able to express myself well but I mean to say that in forums you'll have always at least me on your side, you can count on me or pm me if you want, you'll be always welcome.

on the other hand I have no suggestions whatever..

Thank you all btw

:grouphug:

@Theda-

RE: I've been thinking about your dad's reaction: It's natural to think of your father as a protector who is stronger than you. In this case, though, you might think of his denial as telling you "Don't tell me you're depressed. Protect me from the truth. I'm not strong enough to handle it." This might be the first time you've encountered this kind of role-reversal of having to protect your parent(s), but it won't be the last time as they get older.

I think you're right; my Dad is 6 ft 4 ex R.A.F, ex Rugby player and he's a pretty imposing man to others but obviously to me he's just my dad and seeing as he's such a strong and intelligent person I've never really known more on a topic than him (other than ancient history & theatre) and more and more when ai disagree with him (vegetarianism) it's upsetting him and he doesn't really know how to handle his young daughter having an equally strong or stronger argument/opinion than him. I only realised this the other day, it must be weird for him to not be the source of all knowledge for me and my sister anymore. I guess i was a bit harsh on him.

I can't say I have any solution or advice to offer, but simply wanted to chime in as well saying good luck with it. It's terrible when problems like this are compounded by the people around you not understanding. I hope things work out for you and feel free to message me if you need a sounding board. :)

Archived