Stannis and the Peach: A complete literary and structural analysis and dissection [Essay]

Salafi Stannis

Renly is trying to show how unfazed he is by Stannis given his overwhelming numbers and he knew Stannis would be bothered by the sheer nonsequiter of savoring a simple joy of life in the middle of war parley.The peach represented the ultimate contrast between the brothers. Renly is poetry, he is spring and summer, laughter and mirth...i.e. a peach. Stannis can no more understand the peach than he can understand Renly or people or poetry or laughter and mirth. Stannis understands suspicion, treachery, force, authority and duty so his first thought is "Renly is trying to kill me, I must defend myself!" Joy is just not a language Stannis is fluent in.

Renly is trying to show how unfazed he is by Stannis given his overwhelming numbers and he knew Stannis would be bothered by the sheer nonsequiter of savoring a simple joy of life in the middle of war parley.The peach represented the ultimate contrast between the brothers. Renly is poetry, he is spring and summer, laughter and mirth...i.e. a peach. Stannis can no more understand the peach than he can understand Renly or people or poetry or laughter and mirth. Stannis understands suspicion, treachery, force, authority and duty so his first thought is "Renly is trying to kill me, I must defend myself!" Joy is just not a language Stannis is fluent in.

But why is Stannis' mind so fixated on this infernal peach?

GRRM:

“The peach represents… Well… It’s pleasure. It’s… tasting the juices of life. Stannis is a very marshal man concerned with his duty, and with that peach Renly says: “Smell the roses”, because Stannis is always concerned with his duty and honor, in what he should be doing and he never really stops to taste the fruit. Renly wants him to taste the fruit but it’s lost. I wish that scene had been included in the TV series because for me that peach was important, but it wasn’t possible.”

Hurray, I'm Stannis' clone.

Archived