Most Memorable ER/Doctor Visit

A True Kaniggit

My horror story. I was in the military and sliced!off the tip!of my index finger in the hinge side of the hatch.

I broke the tip, the finger tip wasn't completely removed.

Now I have shitty veins, I have to use infant butterfly needles my viens are so small and I'm a hard stick and blood draw.

I had to have surgery to get an if going to put me under they had to stick me 18 times,and blew several veins, I looked like I had been in a 10 round fight with Tyson tag team with Muhammad it was bad. My arms looked like I shot heroin.

So finally to put me to sleep they had to go through my ankle and then find a better vein once I was sleep.

Not great. But I had 6 wks of recup time and was overseas had a blast.

A fucking 3 inch long moth decided my ear was a nice place to be in and literally sat there in the ER for 2 hours screaming every time it moved.

Of course my parents didn't believe me and initially just squirted water in my ears to try and get what they thought was a small bug or nothing at all to come out. My mom then looked in really closely and saw the thing and realized it was that big that it was stuck. I was like 14.

Another memorable one was getting hit by a bullet fragment target shooting. It went right into my shoulder, not nearly as bad as getting shot but a hot piece of metal flying into you sucks no matter the size. Felt like a bb gun or paintball impact and had the worst burning sensation imaginable

Was shooting .45/70 govts with a lever action

A fucking 3 inch long moth decided my ear was a nice place to be in and literally sat there for 2 hours screaming every time it moved.

Of course my parents didn't believe me and initially just squirted water in my ears to try and get what they thought was a small bug or nothing at all to come out. My mom then looked in really closely and saw the thing and realized it was that big that it was stuck. I was like 14.

Something like this happened to a patient of ours once, except it what a cockroach.

The patient's spouse woke up in the middle of the night to them screaming uncontrollably. Apparently the patient had a phobia of cockroaches and was nearly catatonic with fear. Couldn't even speak much less tell us what the problem was, they just kept screaming. Took us a few hours to actually find the roach and get it out of the patient's ear.

Mine is embarrassing, but whatever. I suppose these all are. This was my first and only ER visit for myself.

It was the end of a long work week and I was delirious with tiredness. I must have fallen asleep watching a movie in bed because next thing I knew, I woke up and discovered my tampon was leaking. Only when I went to remove/change it, I couldn't find it. It was something like 3am Saturday morning by this point. So I called the advice nurse at the hospital freaking out because now the fears that tampon makers are required to stoke in women about Toxic Shock Syndrome were suddenly upon me. It was lost inside me and I could die of TSS like I had been reading about on the package since I was 13. Only I was 28 at the time, so I should have been way over that. Anyway, the advice nurse walked me through trying to find it over the phone but I couldn't find it, so she suggested I go to the ER. I drove myself there and thought it would be crazy (this being early morning in San Francisco) but it was pretty empty, with only one crazy drunk guy They saw me immediately and the doctor took a look and assured me there was no tam. pon; apparently I just imagined (with my sleep deprivation) putting one in to begin with. She also reassured me that she had fished things out of women's vaginas that had been in there "for weeks" without giving them TSS. :stillsick:

Long story short: I paid $100 for an ER doctor to tell me I was not wearing a tampon.

:lol: Better safe than sorry, I guess, Kat! I've always been wary of TSS, since the horrific warnings on the packets. "If you keep this in for longer than 8 hours, you WILL get TSS and you WILL die." :uhoh:

The worst medical experience I had was having a tooth pulled out last Christmas. My wisdom teeth had just started coming through, but I don't have enough space. A couple of years before that, I'd had a filling put in by a dodgy dentist. The wisdom tooth was pushing the tooth-with-filling out, and had created an abcess. The dentist gave me 4 injections, but I could still feel him removing the tooth as if he'd given me nothing at all. Absolute agony.

in 2011 my uncle passed away and I was supposed to do a lot of stuff to help with the funeral preparations. However I'd been having slight pain in my mouth for a couple weeks and that week the pain intensified tenfold. It was night and the dentist was closed when the pain became unbearable, also my face began to swell. I went to the er and the doctor said I had an abscess. He opened it to relieve the fluid and told me to go to the dentist the next day. By the time I got home my face was swollen to nearly twice its size and when I went to the dentist the next day, when the dental assistant first looked at me she gasped. Then I had to keep coming back to the dentist every day that week as they worked on the area, treating it and cleaning it and eventually I got the tooth removed and a crown.

Last year I ended up going to the er 3 times. Once I fainted right in the middle of the grocery store. I had been having dizzy spells recently and almost blacked out a few times, but I never fainted before. Turns out was low blood pressure and since I switched my meds I've been ok, no dizzy spells. The other 2 times were for panic attacks.

My mother went to the er last year for g.i. issues. She was admitted to the hospital for a few days, then the day we brought her home when we took her out of the car, all of a sudden she couldn't walk. She fell going up the steps and wouldn't move. We called the ambulance and back to the er. They did tests and couldn't determine what was wrong. Eventually we had to call a service to bring her home early the next morning after 12 hours in the er.

My dad also went to the er a few months ago after falling down and breaking his foot.

Seriously hope 2015 has fewer er visits than 2014!

The two times I've used an ER, I was living in my current city where there seems to be a severe shortage of primary care practitioners. It takes weeks to get an appointment with my GP so there's no such thing as going for acute illnesses. For the most part while living in this city, I just ignore it when I'm sick or injured and hope I don't die. The first time I couldn't ignore it I was 16 and had severe stomach pains, fever and was throwing up. My mom took me to the ER because she thought it could be appendicities. After discovering it was just side effects of endometriosis, I felt like an idiot. I was strongly admonished for using the ER for something non life threatening. Promised I'd never go again.

Two years ago I had strong chest pains and was having trouble breathing. Couldn't get a doctor appointment so went to one of those urgent care med clinics. They wouldn't even see me since it was chest pain and I ended up reluctantly going to the ER because I was at the point of panicking. Felt like an idiot again when I was told it was just allergies and taking an extra Benadryl or two might have alleviated the chest pains and help me breathe better. I think the only way I'll use an ER in the future is if I'm unconscious and driven there via ambulance.

The craziest ER story I know is from two of my old roommates. They were having anal sex, the one being penetrated pooped all over the place. After freaking out and crying he went to the emergency room because he was so sure his partner had ripped his intestines to shreds. It may not count as a true ER story since the nurse explained anal sex to him while he was being triaged and he obviously left before seeing a doctor. But there's at least a nurse somewhere on Oahu probably telling this story.

So your friend then became a "LWBS" or "left without being seen".

Oh yes, the LWOBS. Another bit of ER advice. If you start feeling better, or just get tired of waiting and leave the ER, please tell the person at the front desk. If you just walk out then the staff will spend a good 15 minutes looking for you (just in case you're in the bathroom), before they call back someone else. Even if you left because you're angry you haven't been seen yet, is no reason to make other peoples wait times longer.

So your friend then became a "LWBS" or "left without being seen". Another fine term is "leaving AMA" or "against medical advice".

Lol, I'm pretty sure the medical advice from the admitting/triage nurse was "you're an idiot for thinking your intestine was perforated simply because feces made an appearance during anal sex and what you are feeling is embarrassment, now get the hell out of here and remember to keep practicing safe sex."

Archived