Like it or not: These are the top 5 misunderstood characters

House Obama

Walder Frey broke his oath way before Robb did. Tywin was attacking the Riverlands, and Lord Tully had called on his banners to protect them. This was before the Crown had sanctioned Tywin's actions, so he doesn't have the excuse of not wanting to break his oath to the king. But Frey hadn't come, he broke that oath. An oath to obey his liege lord which was, in medieval society, the most important oath, much more so than a wedding oath. So, according to your logic, Walder Frey and significant portions of his family and people should have been killed when Robb first came to the Twins. You can't have it only one way. Either Walder Frey should have been killed or he was wrong to kill Robb. Either way he's not at all misunderstood.

:agree:

I thought everyone hated Theon because he was an egocentric misogynist. Before he ever becomes 'turncloak' or 'kinslayer' he is thinking of women as dirt (more so than the average Westerosi), treating pretty much everyone around him with contempt (except for the select few he puts on pedestals).

I thought people hated Theon because of how terrible his personality is, before he ever did any of the stupid shit that he did.

I thought everyone hated Theon because he was an egocentric misogynist. Before he ever becomes 'turncloak' or 'kinslayer' he is thinking of women as dirt (more so than the average Westerosi), treating pretty much everyone around him with contempt (except for the select few he puts on pedestals).

I thought people hated Theon because of how terrible his personality is, before he ever did any of the stupid shit that he did.

Theon did not treat any woman as dirt, he treated prostitutes poorly, which was common during medieval times. Theon's personality is different and very likable, in my opinion.

Gregor is not misunderstood, he's a brutal and ruthless man, who do heinous things for petty misgivings.

Yea but he is an effective product of his environment.

Seriously, if you lived in a world where royalty could have you punished on a whim, or go to war because of a squabble, would you prefer to be more like the Mountain or more like Sansa?

1. Lord Walder Frey

*Howles with bloodlust*

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

I get it, you hate Walder and these characters so much that it blinds your ability to view impartially.

I agree. After seing things through her perspective, I wonder if I'd do things too differently, if I knew everything that was at stake. She genuinely believes in her red god, she has legit visions (although its interpretation is not always accurate), and she does recognize the good in people. She saved Davos life, even after he tried to kill her, just because she saw how important role he still had to play. I do sympathise with her, even though I cannot forgive her for burning the weirwoods.

She is misunderstood in the series, but I think most readers of the books recognize that she have good intentions... That's why I did not include her. The characters I listed are completely misunderstood the most by readers.

Yea but he is an effective product of his environment.

Seriously, if you lived in a world where royalty could have you punished on a whim, or go to war because of a squabble, would you prefer to be more like the Mountain or more like Sansa?

I'm a man, so I would pick the mountain, if these two were my choices.

Theon did not treat any woman as dirt, he treated prostitutes poorly, which was common during medieval times. Theon's personality is different and very likable, in my opinion.

How about that girl on the boat that he raped and then fully dissed?

I'm a man, so I would pick the mountain, if these two were my choices.

I was trying to find the most violent character vs the most passive.

Point being, I think that violence would be a necessary survival attribute in the world described in ASoIaF.

I was trying to find the most violent character vs the most passive.

Point being, I think that violence would be a necessary survival attribute in the world described in ASoIaF.

Well, it also depends too because the North, Vale, and Riverlands seem to be safe places to live. Honor seems to be a big part of their society too. If Gregor lived in the North, I'm sure Ned would've taken his head.

Defenses of Littlefinger are pretty weird. He gets a free pass because he just HAD to play political intrigues to advance his position. Being a small noble and Master of Coins is too humiliating and he just don't have an army. So of course he has to find other sneaky ways of causing the death of thousands of people, the 99% of society that is poorer and more powerless than him. He is just playing with the tools he have in order to provoke massacres and destroy lives. So... not a villain? Just misunderstood? I don't get it.

125]1. Walder Frey, Lord of the Crossing Lord Walder arrived late at the Twin, yes, he should had come earlier because his liege lord commanded him to. However, if we bypass this incident and speed to TWOFK (The War of Five Kings), he was loyal during it. In fact, you can make a very strong argument suppor6ing his decision to kill Robb Stark. The King in the North broke his oath, before the Lord of the Crossing did. Plus, Robbs actions, which were dumb, were leading to the Norths defeat, and possibly the stripping of Walders castle the reason most reader hate Walder Frey is because he killed Robb, who is one of the favorite characters of readers and show watchers Heres a very in depth thread on why Walder Frey is one of the most misunderstood characters:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/118819-the-misunderstood-lord-walder-frey-he-shouldve-killed-robb/

125]2. Theon Greyjoy/Reek Theon is unfairly viewed as a turncloak because he attacked the North. However, people fail to realize that Theon was born at Pyke, and his father was his lord and king. When Robb foolishly sent him to Pyke, he gave The Prince of Winterfell the chance to side with his REAL family. Many fans think believe Theon should have never sided with his family because the Stark treated his kindly. Though, they seem to forget that Ned and his family reminded him on various occasions that he was not a true Stark. Theon was a hostage! And he did the right thing by attacking the North because his father was his king, and he declared the Iron Islands independent. Keep in mind that Robb wanted dominion over the Iron Islands too, remember, Theon said to his father that Robb would give him his crown if he swear fealty to him. House Greyjoy Do Not Sow, so his father saw the opportunity to weaken Robbs kingdom by pillaging it, and Theon came up with a masterful plan and seized it Heres a thread that shows why Theon is unfairly judge:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/122842-gtfoh-theons-actions- in-the-books-are-brave-not-arrogant/

125]3. Tywin Lannister I know I am going to hear, Tywin is the most evil character in the series, or Tywin killed the Stark, hes bad, but in reality, he isnt. Tywin Lannister was the sole reason why the seven kingdoms were together, during the reign of Mad King Aerys. Tywin Lannister almost singlehandedly restored the prestige image of House Lannister from the dirt, while his father, Tytos Lannister ruled. He also did not believe Joffrey was a bastard of incest, along with many other lords, so you cannot accuse him of opening backing a false king, Joffrey Baratheon. Tywin Lannister is a totalitarian, which means that he rule for everyones well-being, not his own. This also means that Tywin would never break an oath that can be detrimental to his family and kingdom, like Robb Stark. Tywin Lannister is also a realist, and very pragmatic in his political and war ways. If feeding prisoners became too much of a burden, he would let them starve or send them to the Wall. Also, Tywin has been shown to be merciful because he allowed Allister Thorne to join the NW, instead of getting hang, and he instructed Joffrey that the Iron Throne shouldnt attack Robbs bannermen any longer because Robb as killed. Tywin is completely misunderstood.

125]

125]4. Petyr Baelish (Lord Regent of the Vale & Lord Paramount of the Riverlands) Baelish gets hate because he betrayed Ned, but to his credit, he is a true from Rags to riches type story. Baelish has struggled to get to his status now, and he did so through his own wits. Petyr is a hard worker and business, evidence by being raised to Master of Coins. He has always been spat down upon because of his low-birth, and he realized that the only way to advance in Westeros in through cunning. This works well for Baelish because he has a certain high cunning. This is the man who singlehandedly started the TWOFK by himself. And he is currently scheming from the Vale, and its effects are showing in Kings Landing. Please dont knock the man for trying to advance himself in the world!

125]5. Grand Maester Pycelle He helped saved KL by persuading the king to open the gates. After the gates were opened, Tywins forces sacked the city, and helped secure Roberts throne. He is not a sycophant as many readers believe because during AFFC, he repeatedly warns Cersei of hers actions. Cersei, being her usual stubborn self, ignored all his Wise counsel, and it leads to hers downfall. He was chosen Grand Maester for a reason.

Does any member agree with my stance on these characters?

Defenses of Littlefinger are pretty weird. He gets a free pass because he just HAD to play political intrigues to advance his position. Being a small noble and Master of Coins is too humiliating and he just don't have an army. So of course he has to find other sneaky ways of causing the death of thousands of people, the 99% of society that is poorer and more powerless than him. He is just playing with the tools he have in order to provoke massacres and destroy lives. So... not a villain? Just misunderstood? I don't get it.

Baelish is misunderstood because people still look down on him, even though he the lord paramount of the Riverlands, and the lord regent of the Vale. Men in Westeros are viewed as weak if they do not know how to swing a sword. Petyr also saved Sansa's life. Yes, I know that Sansa is a pawn in his game, but still he saved her. I see Baelish as an overachiever, rather than a villain. He also gave wise and prudent advice to Ned, but lord stark didn't heed it, so he did the hung he felt was the smarter... and I agree with him.

Baelish is misunderstood because people still look down on him, even though he the lord paramount of the Riverlands, and the lord regent of the Vale. Men in Westeros are viewed as weak if they do not know how to swing a sword. Petyr also saved Sansa's life. Yes, I know that Sansa is a pawn in his game, but still he saved her. I see Baelish as an overachiever, rather than a villain. He also gave wise and prudent advice to Ned, but lord stark didn't heed it, so he did the hung he felt was the smarter... and I agree with him.

Well, it's unfair but not nearly as unfair as what he put people through. Being looked down is not an excuse for warmongering, sending a young girl to prostitution and later to Ramsay, framing people, murdering people, etc.

Well, it also depends too because the North, Vale, and Riverlands seem to be safe places to live. Honor seems to be a big part of their society too. If Gregor lived in the North, I'm sure Ned would've taken his head.

:D So Ned would have solved violence that was too extreme for his honor with more violence.

I'm just gonna post this again cause apparently you missed it and I'm really really curious to see your reply.

"Walder Frey broke his oath way before Robb did. Tywin was attacking the Riverlands, and Lord Tully had called on his banners to protect them. This was before the Crown had sanctioned Tywin's actions, so he doesn't have the excuse of not wanting to break his oath to the king. But Frey hadn't come, he broke that oath. An oath to obey his liege lord which was, in medieval society, the most important oath, much more so than a wedding oath. So, according to your logic, Walder Frey and significant portions of his family and people should have been killed when Robb first came to the Twins. You can't have it only one way. Either Walder Frey should have been killed or he was wrong to kill Robb. Either way he's not at all misunderstood."

Archived