Like it or not: These are the top 5 misunderstood characters

House Obama

Illyn Payne - c'mon, he is a guy who got his tongue cut out for saying the truth for the wrong ears to hear, then got a job that is not very well-seen, and he is just such a lonely guy. I kinda feel bad for him. Yeah, he cut Ned's head but... the king demanded. What was he supposed to do?

Mirri Maz Duur

Theon

Melisandre - her chapters really made me realize she is not the evil bitch I previously imagined

LS - if I came bad from the dead after seing my son and friends get murdered in front of me from someone who was supposedly an ally, I would want revenge as well. Be honest, who wouldn't??

There are a lot of other characters who are misunderstood, but I wanted to lost major characters, instead of minor ones... But Mel isn't a minor one, I probably should've included her :/

Wouldn't you expect House Obama to put sanctions on these 5? Sanctions are the go-to option whether people are misunderstood or not these days.

Baelish is a pimp. Or you could call him a misunderstood urban employer. So that could go either way, like how things looked bad for Chris Brown but in the end he was too black to fail and his fan base rallied.

Pycelle came close to being the victim of a hate crime when his beard was shaved, but he's white so Eric Holder would never prosecute it under the hate crime statutes because he just doesn't do that unless it's white on black violence. that's the only thing that counts as hate lately due to the reverse racism one-sided application of the law. So I doubt Obama would come to Pycelle's rescue. Pycelle did work for the government though----so he'd be exempt from Obamacare, and with better care he'd still be alive!

Theon is one of the country yokels who clings to his remaining skin and his name rhyming beliefs. Ramsay would be "forced" to include abortions as part of his regular schedule of flayings or he'd be dropped from his health provider plan and his castle would lose all government aid.

Tywin almost has to be a republican. I don't think Obama would try to improve that guy's public relations. He'd be audited every year.

Walder is a tough call. He and Obama's war decisions (they both got the hell out) sort of line up with each other. So they'd probably try not to be seen together.

Theon is misuderstood, yes.

THe others, no.

Gregor is misunderstood too. He is evil, yes, he is. But he is also a tormented soul, his head aches indicating that being to tall is as much of a curse as being too small.

Gregor is not misunderstood, he's a brutal and ruthless man, who do heinous things for petty misgivings.

125]2. Theon Greyjoy/Reek Theon is unfairly viewed as a turncloak because he attacked the North. However, people fail to realize that Theon was born at Pyke, and his father was his lord and king. When Robb foolishly sent him to Pyke, he gave The Prince of Winterfell the chance to side with his REAL family. Many fans think believe Theon should have never sided with his family because the Stark treated his kindly. Though, they seem to forget that Ned and his family reminded him on various occasions that he was not a true Stark. Theon was a hostage! And he did the right thing by attacking the North because his father was his king, and he declared the Iron Islands independent. Keep in mind that Robb wanted dominion over the Iron Islands too, remember, Theon said to his father that Robb would give him his crown if he swear fealty to him. House Greyjoy Do Not Sow, so his father saw the opportunity to weaken Robbs kingdom by pillaging it, and Theon came up with a masterful plan and seized it Heres a thread that shows why Theon is unfairly judge:

Well, this is key to Theon's entire character arc. He said it himself - he considered Eddard Stark "like a second father" to him. It seemed obvious that Eddard was never outwardly affectionate towards him; he probably didn't want to get attached to a boy he might one day have to kill if Balon rose against Robert. But it does seem like the Stark children weren't encouraged to treat Theon as if he was a hostage, and he grew to be a member of the extended family - perhaps more like a cousin than a sibling, but he does seem involved in the family dynamics.

At the same time, he isn't a Stark - no matter how much he wants to be. And the fact he wanted to be one is possibly why he didn't just sack Winterfell and capture Bran and Rickon when he had the chance - it was as much about proving that he belonged at Winterfell as much as it was about proving he was Balon's son. He even had some half-fantasy of him marrying Sansa.

To me it's not as straightforward as Theon being a turncloack for attacking the North, or not being one because he was from the Iron Islands. There's layers of complexity there based on his identity, and the fact that he lived half is life with one culture and the next with another. Theon raises the question of whether someone's family is their blood or those who raise or care for them (Robb definitely cared about Theon, and vice versa) and about patriotism as a whole. It makes him a tragic character, as he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Gregor is not misunderstood, he's a brutal and ruthless man, who do heinous things for petty misgivings.

Yes, but as you can read, he has head aches that cause him to act violently. He is not a good person, he is not justified in any way in his actions. Its just that he also suffered, and might have turned out differently if he had been born normal.

Oh, and many people think of him as a buffoon, but if the rumors are true, and he has murdered his sister an father, then he is as cunning as Roose.

Well, this is key to Theon's entire character arc. He said it himself - he considered Eddard Stark "like a second father" to him. It seemed obvious that Eddard was never outwardly affectionate towards him; he probably didn't want to get attached to a boy he might one day have to kill if Balon rose against Robert. But it does seem like the Stark children weren't encouraged to treat Theon as if he was a hostage, and he grew to be a member of the extended family - perhaps more like a cousin than a sibling, but he does seem involved in the family dynamics.

At the same time, he isn't a Stark - no matter how much he wants to be. And the fact he wanted to be one is possibly why he didn't just sack Winterfell and capture Bran and Rickon when he had the chance - it was as much about proving that he belonged at Winterfell as much as it was about proving he was Balon's son. He even had some half-fantasy of him marrying Sansa.

To me it's not as straightforward as Theon being a turncloack for attacking the North, or not being one because he was from the Iron Islands. There's layers of complexity there based on his identity, and the fact that he lived half is life with one culture and the next with another. Theon raises the question of whether someone's family is their blood or those who raise or care for them (Robb definitely cared about Theon, and vice versa) and about patriotism as a whole. It makes him a tragic character, as he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Nice insight. However, while reading Theon's chapters, I got the feeling that he actually wanted Winterfell as his castle. Evidence by Theon styling himself "The Prince of Winterfell". If you remember, Theon was piss that his sister was raiding a castle, while he was commanded to attack fishers and village folks. When he took Winterfell, I saw it as a way to one up his sister. That was why he commanded the maester to write his sister a note saying that he needed 500 men to hold the castle.

Also, I beleive he did think about taking Bran and Roxkard to the iron islands... but they escaped before his mind was set. Imo though, Theon is not a turncloak.

trait's shared. by

tywin, little finger and pycell.

Littlefinger is the epitome of a hard worker though, he came from nothing to one of the most powerful lord in a short span. Plus, you cannot put a brute in the same breath as Tywin, Baelish, and even Pycelle for that matter.

Tywin gets way, way to much flak I agree. But being the primary antagonist for House Stark does that.

I agree, readers hate him mostly because the Starks hate the Lannisters.

Yeah there's that..plus organizing the gang rape/murder of children. But yeah it's probably a Stark thing.

Nice insight. However, while reading Theon's chapters, I got the feeling that he actually wanted Winterfell as his castle. Evidence by Theon styling himself "The Prince of Winterfell". If you remember, Theon was piss that his sister was raiding a castle, while he was commanded to attack fishers and village folks. When he took Winterfell, I saw it as a way to one up his sister. That was why he commanded the maester to write his sister a note saying that he needed 500 men to hold the castle.

Also, I beleive he did think about taking Bran and Roxkard to the iron islands... but they escaped before his mind was set. Imo though, Theon is not a turncloak.

He wanted Winterfell as his castle, aye, but I think that's because he viewed Winterfell as 'home'. He wanted to actually be one of the Starks after living there for so long, but never could be. He could never even marry into them. He wanted it as he wanted to be one of them.

I don't think he ever wanted to do any harm to Bran or Rickon, really, but it's his predicament - by trying to hold Winterfell and name himself Prince of Winterfell, his relationship with them can't be the same. On some level I think he still wants to be seen as their 'foster brother' - which Bran and Rickon likely do, as they're too young to understand that being Eddard's ward meant Theon was a political hostage, just as their elder siblings were when they were growing up around Theon - but deep down knows that they can't.

Theon doesn't fit in with either the Greyjoys or the Starks, really, as he's neither fully one or the other. He's trying to find his own identity, but it hasn't tragic consequences for him. I do think he meant it when he thought that he should have died with Robb - and not just because he was Reek, but because he genuinely felt conflicted and ultimately if he could go back again he'd have remained loyal to his friend.

But Theon and Robb have one dilemma in common. Once Robb sleeps with Jeyne he either marries her or dishonours her, yet by marrying her he dishonours the Freys. Theon either stays loyal to Robb and essentially has to take up arms against his blood family, or turns against Robb and takes up arms against the man he loved more than his own blood brothers. It's a situation where there's no right or wrong answer, and no matter what you do someone, somewhere, calls you disloyal.

Littlefinger is the epitome of a hard worker though, he came from nothing to one of the most powerful lord in a short span. Plus, you cannot put a brute in the same breath as Tywin, Baelish, and even Pycelle for that matter.

A brute that killed his father and sister to gain power quickly? A brute that taught his younger brother to fear him so as not to take his lordship? A bruthe that snuck a kill in a tourney where he was supposed to at most wound? a brute that successfully terrorized an entire region? a brute that took Harrenhall? a brute that fooled one of the greatest warriors of his time and killed him? This is why he is misunderstood. People like you constantly underestimate his cunning.

A brute that killed his father and sister to gain power quickly? A brute that taught his younger brother to fear him so as not to take his lordship? A bruthe that snuck a kill in a tourney where he was supposed to at most wound? a brute that successfully terrorized an entire region? a brute that took Harrenhall? a brute that fooled one of the greatest warriors of his time and killed him? This is why he is misunderstood. People like you constantly underestimate his cunning.

I actually think that people knows that he did it, but are too afraid to say it. Tyein probably hushed it up because Gregor was more valuable in his eyes, than his sister and father.

And Gregor is a excellent knight, which people don't give him credit for... Even Tyrion commented on it. Gregor knew that was the only way to kill obey an and he executed perfectly.

He wanted Winterfell as his castle, aye, but I think that's because he viewed Winterfell as 'home'. He wanted to actually be one of the Starks after living there for so long, but never could be. He could never even marry into them. He wanted it as he wanted to be one of them.

I don't think he ever wanted to do any harm to Bran or Rickon, really, but it's his predicament - by trying to hold Winterfell and name himself Prince of Winterfell, his relationship with them can't be the same. On some level I think he still wants to be seen as their 'foster brother' - which Bran and Rickon likely do, as they're too young to understand that being Eddard's ward meant Theon was a political hostage, just as their elder siblings were when they were growing up around Theon - but deep down knows that they can't.

Theon doesn't fit in with either the Greyjoys or the Starks, really, as he's neither fully one or the other. He's trying to find his own identity, but it hasn't tragic consequences for him. I do think he meant it when he thought that he should have died with Robb - and not just because he was Reek, but because he genuinely felt conflicted and ultimately if he could go back again he'd have remained loyal to his friend.

But Theon and Robb have one dilemma in common. Once Robb sleeps with Jeyne he either marries her or dishonours her, yet by marrying her he dishonours the Freys. Theon either stays loyal to Robb and essentially has to take up arms against his blood family, or turns against Robb and takes up arms against the man he loved more than his own blood brothers. It's a situation where there's no right or wrong answer, and no matter what you do someone, somewhere, calls you disloyal.

Theon shouldn't care what his enemies think, that's his problem. Theon is a very sensitive and self co conscious character.

Theon shouldn't care what his enemies think, that's his problem. Theon is a very sensitive and self co conscious character.

I think he never truly considered the Starks as his enemies - even after he'd taken Winterfell. If he had then he'd have sacked it there and then, and escaped with the two Starks as hostages. I don't think he'd actually thought about how things would be in Winterfell, and how it'd be with Bran and Rickon. At least not in any depth.

His self esteem clearly is an issue though. Outwardly he's confident, but we know that not to be the case. His issues with wanting Balon to accept him lead him to deciding to take Winterfell rather than follow orders, and his initial plan shows cunning. But it goes to hell after that, because of his low self esteem - it's partly why he wants to hold the castle (along with him considering Winterfell home) and why Ramsay is able to play him like a fiddle.

Well, I forgot about the gang raped, but his good overweigh his bad. He actually though Tyrions wife was a whore who as trying to steal his money, so he did not do it out of spite.

Now... let's don't be silly. While I highly doubt Tywin thought Tysha wanted Tyrion for his money he knew she was not a whore.

I think he never truly considered the Starks as his enemies - even after he'd taken Winterfell. If he had then he'd have sacked it there and then, and escaped with the two Starks as hostages. I don't think he'd actually thought about how things would be in Winterfell, and how it'd be with Bran and Rickon. At least not in any depth.

His self esteem clearly is an issue though. Outwardly he's confident, but we know that not to be the case. His issues with wanting Balon to accept him lead him to deciding to take Winterfell rather than follow orders, and his initial plan shows cunning. But it goes to hell after that, because of his low self esteem - it's partly why he wants to hold the castle (along with him considering Winterfell home) and why Ramsay is able to play him like a fiddle.

I disagree slightly. I think he wanted to hold Winterfell because it was strategically a great move. Also, Theon only mistake was not leaving when Asha told him to. And I do not know if you was talking about Ramsey playing him as Reek or Theon... but Ramsay did it both times, in my opinion.

Rose does not give Ramsay enough credit. I do not think he have low cunning, I thing his cunning is actually very high.

I disagree slightly. I think he wanted to hold Winterfell because it was strategically a great move. Also, Theon only mistake was not leaving when Asha told him to. And I do not know if you was talking about Ramsey playing him as Reek or Theon... but Ramsay did it both times, in my opinion.

Rose does not give Ramsay enough credit. I do not think he have low cunning, I thing his cunning is actually very high.

There's a strategic element to sacking Winterfell, aye. And Theon understood this to some degree, as he was able to infiltrate it in a very intelligent fashion based on his knowledge of the castle and how well guarded it was. However, the smart strategy would be sack, burn and take the hostages - Theon wants it for his own seat, and I think it's because he wanted to be one of the Starks on some level. Really, it's not practical for an Ironborn Prince to have Winterfeel as his seat - a castle closer to the sea would make some sense, but Winterfell doesn't. I think this is where Theon's emotions and issues rule over his obvious intelligence.

I meant both as Reek and Ramsay, aye.

I think Roose is perfectly right with saying that Ramsay has a low cunning. He's underhanded and can clearly manipulate those around him, but I don't think Ramsay is really someone that's intelligent - or educated - enough to see the bigger picture; he's not someone that cares about forging alliances or inspiring loyalty. I don't think Roose actually intends for Ramsay to succeed him - he told Reek that Ramsay would kill Wanda's children when a few folk were telling Reek things knowing that he was under Ramsay's control. Honestly, I think Ramsay was a contingency plan after Domeric's death, and now he'd rather go with the heirs that come with ties to a powerful Southron family. Ramsay isn't for long in this world, if Roose has his way...

Archived