Sansa slaying 'a giant'

The Wolfswood

Theon was shown in a green dream as being the sea coming to Winterfell and over its Walls. He actually did that. Forget that part sweetie?

Don't call me sweetie, I sure as hell didn't call you any names and I was polite and gave my opinon.

I didn't forget that at all, that prophosie is tied to Jojen and Bran and has been done and completed.

Theon has little to do with Sansa's arc and is tied instead to Robb, Bran and Stannis.

Now go sit in a corner until you can play nice with the other kids.

While LF is the more obvious candidate I would like it to be someone else...maybe even an actual giant somehow!...that`s because I would prefer for Sansa to stick with LF and maybe go down with him, it would make the character more interesting for me to read, but it`s probably not the way it will be

And for the doll, it would be nice for GRRM to throw ppl out with an inconsequential prophecy, but so far it`s not how things have been working in this universe, in general the supernatural elements of the series have a consisten set of internal rules, if not always known to the characters, it `s possible to learn about them and maybe master some (magic, dragon riding, green dreams, warging, etc.), the fantasy it`s not random, prophecies have always refer to important events, so it is unlikely it`s just about the broken doll

I think I remember some interview where GRRM speaks about this two different treatments of the supernatural in fantasy works, where you either have rules or not, it would be very unlikely he makes his own world an hybrid of consistency and randomness just for fun, when prophecy is so central to the story

I trust that Sansa will slay Petyr, but it will happen at Winterfell.

They will reconquer Winterfell together, they will rebuilt it together just like in the snow castle scene, then she will discover the truth.

This is possible as all the other prophecies for the Ghost of High Heart did not say what will happen directly and she used metaphors. So Sansa did built a castle made of snow - she built Winterfell. Maybe the prophecy says that she will kill a "giant" in Winterfell. Now that giant could be anything, it could be a literal giant (unlikely if we go the metaphor way) or it could be someone else (an Umber, Littlefinger, Roose/Ramsay, etc). This makes much more sense to me than Lysa's downfall (she did not die in the snow castle). The doll theory is only possible if Martin is trolling us.

I can't remember the exact quote but Tyrion said that trying to understand prophesy is a task that will usually result in more problems than not knowing in the first place.

As some have mentioned GRRM's writing style, would he make a prophesy that could match multiple characters? Yes!

Would he put forth a situation that seems to be a realization of a prophesy but actually isn't? I feel confident he would, but can't think of a specific example.

Is anyone other than GRRM 100% confident in the meaning of a prophesy in the story? If they are they at some point will likely be disappointed.

The only castles that might be considered made of snow (or Snow) in the story are the snow castle Sansa made, Winterfell (Ramsey), Castle Black/Wall (Jon), and maybe somewhere in the Land of Always Winter.

Since few people actually know what is going to happen it is reasonable for them to assume this prophesy refers to Sansa, but until/unless the second part happens its just a guess. For the record I am reasonably certain the prophesy does refer to Sansa but wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't. I would also find it rather anti-climactic if it also referred to the doll, and would much rather the maid to refer to another character entirely than the doll at all.

I can't remember the exact quote but Tyrion said that trying to understand prophesy is a task that will usually result in more problems than not knowing in the first place.

As some have mentioned GRRM's writing style, would he make a prophesy that could match multiple characters? Yes!

Would he put forth a situation that seems to be a realization of a prophesy but actually isn't? I feel confident he would, but can't think of a specific example.

Is anyone other than GRRM 100% confident in the meaning of a prophesy in the story? If they are they at some point will likely be disappointed.

The only castles that might be considered made of snow (or Snow) in the story are the snow castle Sansa made, Winterfell (Ramsey), Castle Black/Wall (Jon), and maybe somewhere in the Land of Always Winter.

Since few people actually know what is going to happen it is reasonable for them to assume this prophesy refers to Sansa, but until/unless the second part happens its just a guess. For the record I am reasonably certain the prophesy does refer to Sansa but wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't. I would also find it rather anti-climactic if it also referred to the doll, and would much rather the maid to refer to another character entirely than the doll at all.

Your are forgetting The Eyrie.

There is a quote from Sansa when she is going down into the vale and looks back and makes some reference to it being made out of snow.

"AWAY!" came Ser Lothor's shout. Someone shoved the bucket hard. It swayed and tipped, scraped against the floor, then swung free. She heard the crack of Mord's whip and the rattle of the chain. They began to descend, by jerks and starts at first, then more smoothly. Robert's face was pale and his eyes puffy, but his hands were still. The Eyrie shrank above them. The sky cells on the lower levels made the castle look something like a honeycomb from below. A honeycomb made of ice, Alayne thought, a castle made of snow. She could hear the wind whistling round the bucket.

Littlefinger is by far the best candidate here. Having Titan as sigil, he's the only literal or metaphorical giant who is inevitably going to clash with Sansa. All the other "giants" are way less likely.

And Robert's doll is completely out of question, IMO. Really, I can't remember single prophecy in the series which signifies something as mundane and ordinary as tearing a doll apart. Especially given how all the others Ghost's visions speak of huge, game-changing events that happened or will happen.

There is a quote from Sansa when she is going down into the vale and looks back and makes some reference to it being made out of snow.

"AWAY!" came Ser Lothor's shout. Someone shoved the bucket hard. It swayed and tipped, scraped against the floor, then swung free. She heard the crack of Mord's whip and the rattle of the chain. They began to descend, by jerks and starts at first, then more smoothly. Robert's face was pale and his eyes puffy, but his hands were still. The Eyrie shrank above them. The sky cells on the lower levels made the castle look something like a honeycomb from below. A honeycomb made of ice, Alayne thought, a castle made of snow. She could hear the wind whistling round the bucket.

The Eyrie is a good point. Plus, how many times have we been told it's 'impregnable'? Wonder if the two thoughts are related.

Except Eyrie is currently inhospitable as well and we will probaby not see it again until the winter is over.

Yeah, I have to roll my eyes when people think LF's fate is the Moon Door. Even if Sansa rats out LF to the Vale Lords, they'd just chop his head off, not hike all the way up to the Eyrie, defrost it, open the Moon Door, throw him out of it, and immediately leave.

Don't call me sweetie, I sure as hell didn't call you any names and I was polite and gave my opinon.

I didn't forget that at all, that prophosie is tied to Jojen and Bran and has been done and completed.

Theon has little to do with Sansa's arc and is tied instead to Robb, Bran and Stannis.

Now go sit in a corner until you can play nice with the other kids.

I'm sorry Sansa, Blood of Winterfell for calling you Sweetie. Its an actual term of endearment, it wasn't meant sarcastically, but I can see how you may have thought it that way. I do not recall swearing at you though. We really don't know where Theon's arc will take him or Sansa's. All we do around here is speculate and wait for the next book to be published. Btw, prophecy is the proper spelling. Opinion is the proper spelling. Robb is dead.

I'm sorry Sansa, Blood of Winterfell for calling you Sweetie. Its an actual term of endearment, it wasn't meant sarcastically, but I can see how you may have thought it that way. I do not recall swearing at you though. We really don't know where Theon's arc will take him or Sansa's. All we do around here is speculate and wait for the next book to be published. Btw, prophecy is the proper spelling. Opinion is the proper spelling. Robb is dead.

for some reason spell checker isn't working.

The Eyrie is impregnable, but not to dragons.

I only see it being the Eyrie if it happens in the epilogue, after most of the action is already over and done with. Unless this winter is unusually short or the timeline of TWOW and ADOS span years, I doubt we'll ever see the inside of the Eyrie again. Iirc, HBO destroyed the set after season 4 when they kept it throughout season 1-3, even though it was only ever used in season 1. Obviously the books and show are two separate monsters, but I don't think it's unreasonable to assume, all things considered, that the Eyrie won't feature again.

Iirc, HBO destroyed the set after season 4 when they kept it throughout season 1-3, even though it was only ever used in season 1.

You sure about this? I would have thought they would keep it around, if for nothing else than possible inclusion in a future Robert's Rebellion movie.

You sure about this? I would have thought they would keep it around, if for nothing else than possible inclusion in a future Robert's Rebellion movie.

The normal thing when striking a set is to store the flats - they actually don't take up much room, unless you are absolutely certain that you will never use them again. But maybe they were - certain, that is.

Wow, guys, you are really good at finding evidences (no sarcasm), I'd never think of all the theories you mentioned! I think the arguments identifying the giant as LF are really persuasive but I'd allow myself to disagree a bit: All the things predicted in the prophecy happened soon after it (excluding Renly's dead, didn't it happened way before?). I know that the prophecy says that it saw Sansa "later" but the Red Wedding, the Purple Wedding, the dead of Balon... that all happened in ASOS, so I'd say that the "slayed giant" happened in ASOS too or in AFFC. So I think that the giant was a) the doll and GRRM was just trolling; b) Lysa who had the power over the Vale and thus can be considered a giant among the lords and Sansa was practically the cause of her death; c) Robert Arryn who is the real lord Arryn and ruler of Vale and who was the one holding the doll and in AFFC Sansa ordered to give him more sweetsleep to keep him calm and the waif tells Arya that sweetsleep doesn't leave a victim's body, it just accumulates, so maybe that was the final portion needed and will cause Robert's death.

Again, I admit that thanks all the evidence you provided, LF seems the most likely - and I agree that Sansa will probably be his downfall at the end - it's the time that concerns me the most. If the giant is LF, this event will happen much later than the other events predicted..

Archived