dany at the wall

The triplet structure of the prophecy reminded me from the outset of Macbeth; Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, soon to be King hereafter. Classic past/present/future structure beloved of prophets.

Mount to bed, fire for life and treason for blood were already done by the time she visited the HotU. I say Drogo rather than the silver because that is not the only horse she ever rides either, and as events important about to be prophesied about a husband trumps a nice riding horse, but they both signal a closed chapter in her life.

Present, I interpret somewhat loosely not as the literal 'now' but as the seeking her path phase of her life. I suspect that means the the second set of events will take her up to leaving Essos. The fire she lit at Astapor, she has started riding Dragon, and maybe the treason will be the precipitating event for her actually departing for Westeros?

'Future' will be Dany's destiny (not nnecessarily the end of her life, but it would be settled and not prophecy-worthy after the final events in this prophecy). I think that because only one reason of given here, 'for love', that the mount and the fire and the treason will all be linked to one person that Dany loves rather than being seperate events.

That's a really interesting way of looking at the prophecy. I agree about the "future" part that all three will happen with the same person. I was thinking about the fire, Dany lit it for a number of reasons one of which was to burn her betrayer, might she also light another fire to burn betrayers (hello Harpy, I'm looking at you). Which would go with my belief that Slavers Bay will be cleansed by fire. It's such a cesspool that I can't see Dany just letting it be the way it has always been.

Dany will not marry Jon. They're nephew and aunt, and that is too close for comfort. Take a look at the fate of the Spanish Habsburgs, ending with Carlos II. Dude's parents were niece and uncle; the family had been inbreeding, first cousins, aunts and nephews, etc., for over a century, and the result was not good. GRRM's a history buff. He'd know this.

Re the king who casts no shadow: If Stannis, it's not a good omen. "Casting a long shadow" is used to mean having influence, power. It's used that way for both Jon and Tyrion. If that figure is Stannis, and if he casts no shadow, then Stannis will fail, sooner than later.

About the only way I can see Dany heading North is to help fight the Others. She's not going to be done conquering the south quickly. She's not going to start with the North, as it's a winter kingdom, not exactly welcoming for an army cobbled together in Essos.

Dany will not marry Jon. They're nephew and aunt, and that is too close for comfort. Take a look at the fate of the Spanish Habsburgs, ending with Carlos II. Dude's parents were niece and uncle; the family had been inbreeding, first cousins, aunts and nephews, etc., for over a century, and the result was not good. GRRM's a history buff. He'd know this.

Re the king who casts no shadow: If Stannis, it's not a good omen. "Casting a long shadow" is used to mean having influence, power. It's used that way for both Jon and Tyrion. If that figure is Stannis, and if he casts no shadow, then Stannis will fail, sooner than later.

About the only way I can see Dany heading North is to help fight the Others. She's not going to be done conquering the south quickly. She's not going to start with the North, as it's a winter kingdom, not exactly welcoming for an army cobbled together in Essos.

i don't think they will marry either for other reasons but it's not like the targs care about incest

Are there giant ants in Westeros? :P

God, I hope not.

Indeed, besides it would fit the color motif of GRRM's rainbow, gray, black and white. :lol:

Well... Silver/Grey is the colour of the Starks. Jon, if he's actually legitimate, is also a Stark. Black is the colour of the Watch, organization Jon joined. Those are meant to represent Jon. What the White would be?

God, I hope not. Well... Silver/Grey is the colour of the Starks. Jon, if he's actually legitimate, is also a Stark. Black is the colour of the Watch, organization Jon joined. Those are meant to represent Jon. What the White would be?

I don't know, but white sure is a "Ghostly" color. ;) *wink*

Did you skip the bits of the books that said the Targs almost only ever married non-Targs when there were none availible?

Archived