Chrome browser ad block help

TerraPrime

Got a problem with an ad thing in Chrome that I hope some of you can help me with.

I run the Ad Blocker Pro and I turn the innate popup blocker on in Chrome. But there's one pop up that persists. It's not a pop up that opens up in the middle of the screen or a in a new window. It slowly slides up from the lower left corner of the browser and it's always ads in Russian language. It is activated randomly it seems. Attaching a screen shot of what it looks like here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/126592578@N06/16316155927/

Anyone got an idea on how to get rid of it? I've had it for a week now and I don't fancy keeping a random app that inserts Russian ads on my browser for very much longer. :P

Maybe you shouldn't ignore it! It says you can earn money easily, up to $1000 a day!

You might try switching to Firefox, I've heard that their ad-blocking and anti-tracking extensions work better...though I do like chrome because of the speed.

Maybe you shouldn't ignore it! It says you can earn money easily, up to $1000 a day!

You might try switching to Firefox, I've heard that their ad-blocking and anti-tracking extensions work better...though I do like chrome because of the speed.

I switched to Chrome about 3 years ago from Firefox because of crash issues. Chrome seems more stable and has been working well for me. I know 3 years ago is many versions of mozilla but I am a creature of habit for browsers, it seems :P

This on any site or one specific one?

If it's multiple sites I'd do a full uninstall of Chrome and then re-install it. If it persists after that run a virus and malware scan (though really you should do this anyway just to be safe). Hopefully if it is something like that your anti-virus/malware can clean it up for you. Though personally I've always preferred to just go straight to the nuclear option when it comes to dealing with viruses. Backup my files and re-install Windows.

I've been having flash player crash issues with both firefox and Chrome.

I had a similar problem with PUP malware that I installed myself by accident and this site sorted me out. I had to uninstall Malwarebytes afterwords because my version of windows doesn't like it, but it cleared out the ads beautifully. I had a massive problem so some of the ads persisted until I used Hitmanpro.

Yeah, I'd give Adblock Plus a try, that's what I use for Chrome. If the ad appears on multiple sites, you might have an adware package installed either on your computer or as an extension/plugin within Chrome, so I'd also check your extensions and plugins pages in Chrome and your installed programs on your computer, in case there is something there you don't recognize.

Yes, it is across multiple sites.

Yes, I cleared cookies and browser history.

No, it is not a lightbox type because the rest of the page is fully functional.

Sometimes the ad looks like this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/126592578@N06/15882893783/

I will try scanning through the installed extensions. If nothing shows up, I will uninstall.

Then I will look for a free malware cleaner for my system.

Stupid Russian hackers. :P

A few weeks ago I heard a story on CNBC that AdBlocker apparently has been paid by Google to allow certain ads to pass through blocking.

There is an option in AdBlock Plus to allow some non-intrusive advertising. I think the default is to allow it, so many users, who install it, probably never uncheck it and thus end up getting some adds, which is a win-win for both the companies and the users. I have it unchecked and I don't think I'm getting any ads - can't really tell, as it's something I don't even think about anymore.

TP, I think your problem is most likely caused by adware or malware. I used to have one in the past and it would randomly highlight words in any text on a page and hyperlink them to ads and websites also displaying images on mouseover. It was caused by some extension on Chrome that I didn't recall ever installing.

A good way to approach it imo is to try 1-2 different ad-blockers (AdBlock Plus for example) and see if the same problem persists with each. If it does then it's definitely your PC that's infected in some way and you'll need to cleanse it ;).

There is an option in AdBlock Plus to allow some non-intrusive advertising. I think the default is to allow it, so many users, who install it, probably never uncheck it and thus end up getting some adds, which is a win-win for both the companies and the users. I have it unchecked and I don't think I'm getting any ads - can't really tell, as it's something I don't even think about anymore.

Well, frankly, when I install an ad blocker, I expect ads to be blocked, and I don't look for small print that tells me they'll let some ads in. But, seeing how a lot of people use free downloads, you know it has to be paid for somehow.

The free market will fix that.

Actually, I suspect that it's like the airlines, once someone introduces luggage fees, or fuel surcharges, or whatever, everyone will do it. As I said, they have to make money somehow.

Archived