The War of the Three Queens?

DrakkoShade

Littlefinger mentions to Sansa something about the realm not surviving "The War of the Three Queens" after the War of the Five Kings... Does he mean:

Cersei, Margaery, and Myrcella?

Or does he have more information than 99.99999% of Westeros about the going-ons of Essos and he means:

Cersei

and pick 2 of the following:

1) Margaery

2) Myrcella

3) Daenerys.

Thoughts/definitive answers?

well. I think littlefinger is setting himself up to be kingmaker/queenmaker as he cannot depend of Lannister support much longer, Tyrells maybe but the Vale is tiring of him quickly unless he can get thost lords and their troops into a war that they have been wanting. Sansa is not destined for harry the Heir but Aegon VI and littlefinger will be the powerbroker. I also think he and Varys may be more closely connected than we have been lead to believe which means an Illyrio connection which means and Aegon VI connection. and Aegon VI will need Vale troops if he is to obtain the Iron Throne plus Dorne which he is banking on as Doran is supposedly his uncle.

Two of the three are clearly Cersei and Margaery, from the context of the conversation.

I can't imagine the third is Myrcella. Littlefinger does not, so far as we know, have the sort of continent-wide spy network that he would need to know about that sort of thing, which was a fairly isolated event in Dorne.

I suspect it's Dany that he's talking about.

well. I think littlefinger is setting himself up to be kingmaker/queenmaker as he cannot depend of Lannister support much longer, Tyrells maybe but the Vale is tiring of him quickly unless he can get thost lords and their troops into a war that they have been wanting.

That's not the case. The Vale isn't tiring of Littlefinger quickly; he has, to all appearances, won over his most prominent doubters apart from Bronze Yohn. And Littlefinger has been purposing the end of the Lannister regime, so the loss of their "support" was always part of the plan.

I suspect he would mean Cersei, Margaery, and (given knowledge of Arianne's plot or at least the potential for it) Myrcella.

This seems to make the most sense. I do have to question though how much Littlefinger is aware of at this time. He doesn't seem to think Margaery is in much danger, or aware of Aegon, and presumably rules Dany out of returning because she's staying in Meereen to rule.

This seems to make the most sense. I do have to question though how much Littlefinger is aware of at this time. He doesn't seem to think Margaery is in much danger, or aware of Aegon, and presumably rules Dany out of returning because she's staying in Meereen to rule.

One of the things he says in the conversation is that the Merling King has returned to Gulltown from Essos with "interesting news", which I think is probably about Dany -- though what news specifically, who can know how these timelines match up?

Margaery herself may not be hugely dangerous, but in this context she's a symbol for House Tyrell.

I'm pretty sure he meant Cersei, Margaery and Daenerys. These three are the only ones who actually are queens, if you exclude the widow of Robb Stark. Sansa isn't a queen, the same goes for Myrcella and Arianne.

I'd have to disagree, with Robb dead and Bran and Rickon believed dead and it being unknown who is aware of Robb's will, Sansa is Robbs heir and therefore Queen in the North. I suspect Littlefinger is speaking of Margery/Cersie (I believe one of these two will lose most of their power, probably Cersie), Sansa and Dany. I'm not sure Littlefinger could know Arianne may marry (F)Aegon as the Dornish don't seen to think he exists.

In the context of the conversation the "three queens" are people other than themselves, so Sansa isn't one of them.

By all rights, Sansa is the Queen in the North

When is he talking to Sansa about the three Queens? It maybe before Aegon disembarked (did Myranda mentioned Eastern sellswords to Sansa? I don't think so) and, even if Aegon had already disembarked, before he publicly announced his Targaryeness. So Aegon may not be in his calculations at that point.

Is one of the Queens Cersei? To make a war, Cersei would need an army and the Lannisters are rather depleted after three years of war. In the event of an open war between Lannisters and Tyrells, the Tyrells would make short work of the remaining Lannister forces outside the Westerlands and would besiege the fortresses covering the passes into the Westerlands. Not much of a war there. The three Queens may be Margery in the Iron Throne (Cersei gone by then), Dany invading from the East and Sansa in the Riverlands/maybe the North.

I think LF is referring to Dany, Cersei and Margaery. He knows that the Tyrell Lannister alliance is on the verge of breaking point, and he is aware that Dany has conquered Slaver's Bay and could be heading West. LF's title as Lord Paramount of the Riverlands (which got him the marriage with Lysa) is a Lannister gift, and it might not be recognised by anyone else. LF can't depend on the Lannister's, he has to play some game with Dany, Cersei, Margaery or all 3 of them.

Littlefinger mentions to Sansa something about the realm not surviving "The War of the Three Queens" after the War of the Five Kings... Does he mean:

Cersei, Margaery, and Myrcella?

Or does he have more information than 99.99999% of Westeros about the going-ons of Essos and he means:

It's Cersei, Margaery and Danaerys.

I shall quote myself:

Littlefinger makes the remark to Sansa after he has just returned from Gulltown (working his wonders on Lady Waynwood, I think) and remarks that he hoped to have more time after the end of the War of the Five Kings, or as I like to call it, Wot5K, but Cersei's made such a hash of things already, he doubts Westeros can withstand the Wot3Q (figure it out wink.gif ) which hasn't happened yet.

Now we know that Littlefinger has sources of information everywhere. He has the Kettleblacks and gods know haw many more agents in Kings Landing, so he knows all about Cersei's plans to have Margaery executed as traitorous adulteress and how that would set two of the three Queens (and their mighty factions) at each others throats.

As has been said numerous times, the ports are the first places where news of foreign events arrive (obviously), so having been in Gulltown, Petyr is probably very well informed on recent current events in Slaver's Bay.

Prior to that, obviously, there were rumours and reports of Danaerys' conquests, her dragons, etc. everywhere Euron knows, the Citadel knows, Arya hears about them in Braavos. Intelligence was brought to Cersei by Varys to the same effect, but she ignored it and disregarded it as ludicrous.

It doesn't take a military genius to discern exactly what Danaerys Targaryen is up to, after all - she has hatched dragons, she conquered cities and ports, she is training knights, she is seeking ships, she aquired her Unsullied Jannissary army, she wears a crown, she has convened a Queensguard -s he clearly thinks she is is a Queen of Something...

So, Littlefinger frets that the Wot3Q will be Queen Regent Cersei warring against Queen Consort Margaery, just as "Rightful Queen" Danaerys Targaryen comes knocking to brush aside the Usurper's widow and daughter-in-law and reclaim the throne of her fathers.

I say he's referring to the Dornish plot to crown Myrcella.

The whole passage is Littlefinger telling Sansa that he'd hoped for a period of peace but he'd given Cersei too much credit, and now he was going to have to speed things up by replacing Robert with Harry in his plans. Cersei's idiocy has no relevance to Daenerys in the slightest and, frankly, I'd figure that "The Mad Queen is coming to Westeros with three Dragons" would necessitate a bit more than the speeding up of his already established plans. Besides, we've seen that the stories about Daenerys are scattered and disjointed, and even if they weren't, what are they going to tell him anyway? That she's settled in Slaver's Bay, married a Ghiscari noble and shows no signs of coming to Westeros?

We know that the Kettleblacks, while trusted by Cersei, are really his, so he'll definitely know about the Cersei's plots to off both Margaery and Trystane so knows that her Alliances are in severe jeopardy. It wouldn't shock me if he was behind both Darkstar's attack on Myrcella, and Doran finding out about the plot in the first place. I've no evidence of that part, obviously, but it just seems like his style. I doubt he knows about Doran's secret plots though, and likely couldn't have forseen him being able to stop Dorne from rebelling.

Unless LF has some super special power it can't be Dany. Even Varys who is connected to her can't properly predict or track her. Even then he has no idea of her plans. Get Varys a Dothraki army, failed.

Dany vanishes into the red waste waste with a small group of Dothraki and freed slaves. Appears in Qarth next and spends some time there. Before leaving escapes multiple attempts to kill her and burns down the House of the Undying.

Next gets on 3 sips ssent by Illyrio to bring her to Pentos. Stops in Astapor, game on. Sacks Astapor, goes to Yunkai and defeats there army and frees the slaves there, next up Meereen. Takes Meereen but this time does not advance. Stays and Marries a slaver, is under siege by Yunkai and Volantis and Qarth have decleared war on her. Dany is last seen on a dragon and on fire, is presumed dead.

So he is predicting that, a young Dragonlord who may or may not have three baby dragons will? Now it depends on where the information came from and when. From Qarth, she has 3 dragons the size of kittens no army, no money and got booted from Qarth. Not really a threat. Information he we would again depend on the timing. She is married and staying in Meereen? Not really a threat to him. She is fighing a war against the slave cities? Not a threat to him. She is dead? Not a threat to him. At what point would he consider her a threat to come to Westeros when she has done everything but and is also presumed dead, or married, or in her own major war against Volantis, Qarth and Yunkai. Plus most of the rumors would be from the slavers, about her death or downfall, or ultimate defeat at their hands. We are made Privy to these rumors and lies by Tyrion.

You know if Varys and Illyrio struggle to predict her movments or even that she is alive and they have connections in Essos and easier access I am not sure how LF performed this miracle when even the readers have struggled with it.

Archived