We talk a lot about the worst changes... Why not the best?

Reginald blackfield

All the changes mentioned I like, but the best is: Battle of the Blackwater.

These kind of battles are better translated on screen rather than from one or two POV's imo. Cersei's scene on the throne room, The Hound's breakdown and chat with Sansa, Bronn and Tyrion being just awesome, Stannis' POV on the battle. The same can be said for The Battle on the Wall.

I only wish the show had the budget to show Robb's battles on screen aswell, I can only imagine how well these would be done, Jaime's capture, him cutting through to get Robb, Greywind and the Greatjon tearing shit up!

Blackwater is still my favourite episode. Looking back at it, they really made the most with the budget they had. I think it was massive compared to what they had up to that point, but it seems the budget has increased exponentially since then. I think it was Kit in that recent EW article that said they seemed to be getting money for all the things they asked for in S5.

Probably one of the minority who wasn't all that fond of The Arya/Tywin scenes, they were kinda fun and obviously top notch acting but I would have rather they introduced us to Roose that way like in the novels.

I knew going in that they wouldn't have time to set up Weasel Soup , much less do it, so the replacement Arya/Tywin encounter was cleverly done.

I like how they worked in some Westeros history , which they have only the tiniest amount of time for in the show.

I figured they would not have time for Arya and Brienne's walk-abouts (90% of Brienne's is zero sum), so having the Hound-Brienne fight was great.

Best was keeping the Arya-Hound tavern fight but restaging it , the 'chicken' stuff was funny, Sandor's fight with the King's men has been the best staged and choreographed fight of the show so far. The borrow from Mercy was a zinger touch at the end.

We may see it again!

Quaithe's mask

Arya recovering Needle earlier in her storyline

older, savvier Margaery works well

In the books, it's sometimes difficult to figure out why Roose hasn't cut Ramsay's throat yet. I find myself thinking S4 Roose makes more sense. His disapproval of Ramsay is conditional - when Ramsay delivered for the family, he was rewarded by Roose.

I figured they would not have time for Arya and Brienne's walk-abouts (90% of Brienne's is zero sum), so having the Hound-Brienne fight was great.

Best was keeping the Arya-Hound tavern fight but restaging it , the 'chicken' stuff was funny, Sandor's fight with the King's men has been the best staged and choreographed fight of the show so far. The borrow from Mercy was a zinger touch at the end.

We may see it again!

The Hound is one of my least favourite characters (books, shows, whatever) but I thoguht the whole chicken scene was brilliant.

Probably one of the minority who wasn't all that fond of The Arya/Tywin scenes, they were kinda fun and obviously top notch acting but I would have rather they introduced us to Roose that way like in the novels.

I truly enjoyed Arya/Tywin, because he's constantly looking at her, trying to figure out what it is about her that makes her hard to ignore...whereas Arya/Roose bothered me, as it's constantly stated that Arya looks like Lyanna, and most importantly, is the only legitimate child of Ned that looks like a Stark. This was underlined for me in book 5 when Roose makes comments about Lyanna. How would he know Lyanna rode like half a horse if he'd never watched her ride/met her?

That's why I enjoy Tywin stepping in for Roose, making their scenes together more believable. :dunno:

The Red Wedding overall was better than in the books IMO. Killing Talisa as well added shock value.. and killing Walder's wife also.

Pedro was so outstanding as Oberyn, it made me feel that the show version of Oberyn is better than the book version. At least some of the scenes with him, like his scenes with Tywin and Tyrion. The show version of Salladhor is also better than it's book counterpart.

Aging up the characters was also a good call. Makes more sense.

The chicken. (Sandor and Arya)

The Ghost of Harrenhal feat. Tywin and Arya.

The cell scene with Oberyn and Tyrion.

Aging up the kids.

Salladhor Saan. Although I also like him in the books - one of my favorite minor characters.

Pod and Brienne. Especially the scene where he tries to roast the rabbit. And his reveal about him saving Tyrion's life at the Blackwater.

Oh. The brothel scene with Tywin and Oberyn does deserve mentioning.

Archived