HBO Independent Streaming Subscription

Zorral

This has been discussed in this Entertainment forum, but evidently within other subject threads, as I didn't find it as a Subject when doing the search.

It's official. It unrolls next month, for $14.99 @ month, which is pricey. The other drawback, is initially at least, it's only available through and for Apple devices -- and, of course Apple takes a 30% cut of that $14.99.

Within three months, perhaps, however, the HBO streaming service may be available through other venues:

"Timed to coincide with the start of the new season of its most-watched series, “Game of Thrones,” the service will cost $14.99 a month and offer all of HBO’s original programming, past and present, as well as its movie offerings. People who subscribe to the service in April through Apple will receive the first month free.

The exclusivity with Apple lasts for three months. HBO also is in talks with other distributors, including traditional TV providers and digital partners.hrones,” the service will cost $14.99 a month and offer all of HBO’s original programming, past and present, as well as its movie offerings. People who subscribe to the service in April through Apple will receive the first month free."

Full coverage of the matter here, in the NY Times Technology section.

I guess this means some of the older HBO content (The Wire, Sopranos, Six Feet Under, etc.) currently available for streaming on Amazon Prime will soon disappear?

Why? HBO GO is and will still be available for people with HBO subscriptions and GO is on Android. This Apple deal shouldn't have them pulling content from non Apple services.

Why? HBO GO is and will still be available for people with HBO subscriptions and GO is on Android. This Apple deal shouldn't have them pulling content from non Apple services.

Well, since HBO is charging a pretty hefty fee for all its current and past content, you would think they would want to maximize the product they're offering. Taking older content off of Amazon Prime and offering it solely through HBO Now increases the value of HBO Now.

The article stated:

"The exclusivity with Apple lasts for three months."

It doesn't mention PC at all.

Which means I'm not understand how it can be streamed to one's own pc during the first three months. CONFUSED I am! Please, explain this in terms I can understand. :cheers:

Also I apologize for the typo in "Subscription" in the subject title.

Sigh.

The article stated:

"The exclusivity with Apple lasts for three months."

It doesn't mention PC at all.

Which means I'm not understand how it can be streamed to one's own pc during the first three months. CONFUSED I am! Please, explain this in terms I can understand. :cheers:

Also I apologize for the typo in "Subscription" in the subject title.

Sigh.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hbo-s-standalone-streaming-service-launching-next-/1100-6425803/

There you go. Only the app is exclusive.

Well, since HBO is charging a pretty hefty fee for all its current and past content, you would think they would want to maximize the product they're offering. Taking older content off of Amazon Prime and offering it solely through HBO Now increases the value of HBO Now.

But they've always been charging this hefty fee. This time, the hefty fee is standalone, not tied on to the hefty fee of standard cable service.

But they've always been charging this hefty fee. This time, the hefty fee is standalone, not tied on to the hefty fee of standard cable service.

True. My main point is that if they're going to have a standalone streaming service for their content, I bet they are going to want to be the sole streaming provider for said content.

True. My main point is that if they're going to have a standalone streaming service for their content, I bet they are going to want to be the sole streaming provider for said content.

Yeah, I think it could eventually go that way, depending on how many new customers they get and retain by providing a standalone streaming service. I imagine other premium cable providers will soon follow HBO into the standalone streaming service. HBO might maintain a competitive advantage if they continued to offer past content on another streaming service.

I believe you can change the title by simply editing your first post, if you want :)

O yah, you can! I just didn't figure it out the first time. But thanks to your nudging, I did. Thank you!

(I have a secret reason for wanting a streaming only sub to HBO -- a friend's novel is going to be a series, deal done -- three seasons, 30 episodes, and I want to see that very much! :)

All you have to do is read the headline. Or the first paragraph.

"-HBO Now--for Apple devices and PC"

"Apple devices and PC"

"and PC"

"PC"

And yet this article says something different.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/09/technology/hbo-apple-tv/index.html

"Apple device owners can buy HBO Now no matter what happens. Want to stream it on your PC? You must own at least one Apple device."

And yet this article says something different.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/09/technology/hbo-apple-tv/index.html

"Apple device owners can buy HBO Now no matter what happens. Want to stream it on your PC? You must own at least one Apple device."

Yeah you have to sign up through the Now app, which will only be available on Apple devices for the first 90 days. Once signed up, you can use Now on any PC through HBONOW.com

Yeah you have to sign up through the Now app, which will only be available on Apple devices for the first 90 days. Once signed up, you can use Now on any PC through HBONOW.com

Darn, and I was hoping to actually watch this season as it aired.

Darn, and I was hoping to actually watch this season as it aired.

Do you have any friends/family with an Apple product? You can probably just sign up through their device to create an account and then use your PC to ise it through HBONOW.com. You only need the app to sign up.

I am so fucking excited. This is the first shot in the war to kill off the cable companies. We live in a world where content providers have a way to connect directly with consumers but the cable companies have used bullying tactics to keep that from happening. No more.

Archived