Wow, I never noticed that... v. 11

Rhaenys_Targaryen

As many of us have noted there are an inordinate number of green and black pairings in ASOIAF. The reason became clear when the full title of The Princess and the Queen was released. As far as I can tell, this is the first time the colors are described in combination for the reader...

Then he saw the other one, waddling along half-hidden by his brother's side. Tyrion Lannister, the youngest of Lord Tywin's brood and by far the ugliest. All that the gods had given to Cersei and Jaime, they had denied Tyrion. He was a dwarf, half his brother's height, struggling to keep pace on stunted legs. His head was too large for his body, with a brute's squashed-in face beneath a swollen shelf of brow. One green eye and one black one [peered out from under a lank fall of hair so blond it seemed white. Jon watched him with fascination.

Jon I, Game 5

As many of us have noted there are an inordinate number of green and black pairings in ASOIAF. The reason became clear when the full title of The Princess and the Queen was released. As far as I can tell, this is the first time the colors are described in combination for the reader...

Jon I, Game 5

And how fitting he has an eye of each color as it is pretty clear he will play both sides.

Lord too Fat got me thinking and now I've changed my mind (again). The perfumed seneschel is Illyrio, not Reznak. I've just started reading the whole thing yet again (I'm like the arms of House Toland) and this leaped out...

Daenerys I, Game 3

Daenerys's instincts are telling her to beware of this perfumed magister with the stench of pallid flesh beneath the heavy perfume. The George is sending us a message right off the bat. Consider this...

Daenerys I, Game 3

Clearly then Illyrio is not to be trusted. And much, much later in Dance we learn this...

Tyrion VIII, Dance 33

You might be on to something and it would make sense. Reznak always seemed to obvious to me and my thought was Varys as he was always powdered and perfumed at court.

I've never liked Tyrion as the stone giant since doesn't pose the greatest threat to House Stark. That's why I've always liked Petyr as the stone giant.

ETA

Interestingly Joffrey is the third person, but he's never likened to giant, is he? And while Robert might be a very good fit based on the passage and the direwolf vs stag imagery, Bran sees him earlier in the dream.

Well joffrey is a tall kid and considering al the things that people say are inside of robert strong's helmet joffrey is a posibility

"She pictured the two of them sitting together in a garden with puppies in their laps, or listening to a singer strum upon a lute while they floated down the Mander on a pleasure barge. If I give him sons, he may come to love me. She would name them Eddard and Brandon and Rickon, and raise them all to be as valiant as Ser Loras. And to hate Lannisters, too. In Sansa’s dreams, her children looked just like the brothers she had lost. Sometimes there was even a girl who looked like Arya."

Sansa dreams of three sons and a daughter who looks like Arya. She is probably dreaming of the past rather than the future.

How do you mean? The sons Sansa dreams of look like Tully's, only the girl looks like a Stark..

Jon I, Game 5

Sweet catch!

Also, Ranger Dirk - His eyes work together so Tyrion can 'see' so perhaps he reconciles the two branches so they will work together? Admittedly, your suggestion makes more sense at this point. Nice.

Lord too Fat got me thinking and now I've changed my mind (again). The perfumed seneschel is Illyrio, not Reznak. I've just started reading the whole thing yet again (I'm like the arms of House Toland) and this leaped out...

Daenerys I, Game 3

Daenerys's instincts are telling her to beware of this perfumed magister with the stench of pallid flesh beneath the heavy perfume. The George is sending us a message right off the bat. Consider this...

Really fascinating, LM! I had forgotten that his title could mean 'steward' in Westeros.

Reading Arya I, Game 7, where we first hear from Prince Joffrey in practice yard at Winterfell, I wss reminded of Dunk's first encounter with Prince Aerion near the stables at Ashford.

ETA

In Bran II, Game 8, Bran thinks he's going to be a knight, one of the Kingsguard. A lot of us think this foreshadows him becoming a knight, or something like a knight through Hodor. However, I think it's just a tragic irony by the George. The line imediately follows this...

For days, Bran could scarcely wait to be off. He was going to ride the kingsroad on a horse of his own, not a pony but a real horse. His father would be the Hand of the King, and they were going to live in the red castle at King's Landing, the castle the Dragonlords had built. Old Nan said there were ghosts there, and dungeons where terrible things had been done, and dragon heads on the walls. It gave Bran a shiver just to think of it, but he was not afraid. How could he be afraid? His father would be with him, and the king with all his knights and sworn swords.

Bran II, Game 8

ETA II

These are Bran's very first thoughts about the weirwoods...

He raced across the godswood, taking the long way around to avoid the pool where the heart tree grew. The heart tree had always frightened him; trees ought not have eyes, Bran thought, or leaves that looked like hands.

Bran II, Game 8

Bloodraven really creeps me out, gives me the willies.

ETA III

"One word," Tyrion said, "and I will hit you again."

"I'm going to tell Mother!" Joffrey exclaimed.

Tyrion hit him again. Now both cheeks flamed.

Tyrion I, Game 9

Tyrion means what he says and says what hr means.

"Oh, yes. Your first whore."

Tyrion took aim at his father'schest. "The next time you say that word, I'll kill you."

"You don't have the courage."

"On her way where?"

"Wherever whores go."

Tyrion's finger clenched. The crossbow whanged just as Lord Tywin started to rise. The bolt slammed into him above the groin and he sat back down with a grunt.

Tyrion, Storm

In the chapter when Ned is visiting the brothel where Barra's mother works, after he starts to remember Rhaegar and Lyanna and Jon and he's probably about to make a connection about them... he's suddenly interrupted by Jaime's attack.

Damn Lannisters.

OMG

How did I miss something like this???

Also, tears of Lysa (her crying over losing Robin to Stannis/Tywin). So the tears of Lysa and the tears of Lys both killed him really. Tears of Lysa became tears of Lys.

I think it was more like Lysa actually cried when she married him. She always hated the guy.

His head bobbed up and down. "Your lord father did not come to the wedding. An insult, as I see it. Even if he is dying. He never came to my last wedding either. He calls me the Late Lord Frey, you know. Does he think I'm dead? I'm not dead, and I promise you, I'll outlive him as I outlived his father. Your family has always pissed on me, don't deny it, don't lie, you know it's true. Years ago, I went to your father and suggested a match between his son and my daughter. Why not? I had a daughter in mind, sweet girl, only a few years older than Edmure, but if your brother didn't warm to her, I had others he might have had, young ones, old ones, virgins, widows, whatever he wanted. No, Lord Hoster would not hear of it. Sweet words he gave me, excuses, but what I wanted was to get rid of a daughter.

The only two girls who fit here are Morya Frey and Tyta Frey. Morya's eldest child was born in 290 AC only, and as Walder speaks of "years ago", and not "a few years ago", it is possible that Walder tried to marry Morya to Edmure, and only settled for another match when Hoster refused her. But Tyta, "the Maid", as of present an unwedded maiden in her early thirties, is also a possibility..

Archived