Wow, I never noticed that... v. 11

Rhaenys_Targaryen

He mentions at one point not wanting to "mistakenly praising those who have since proved unworthy." Ran also said their original intent was to have the Robert's Rebellion section on a different type of paper, as if it had been recently re-written. So it seems like Yandel made sure to remove any positive mention of Ned after his conviction for treason.

So it seems like Yandel is an a@$!#/e.

Huh... I had assumed that it was worded like that because there had only been two eyewitnesses, Eddard being one of them.. Thus there was still a factor of insecurity..

Interesting observation.. :)

I would not deny being guilty of hero worship when it comes to The Ned, but objectively I have to admit that it's possible he slew the Sword of the Morning with a little help from a friend. Yandel is still the spawn of donkey who had mated with a monkey.

I only just noticed that the winged chalice of Ser Arlan of Pennytree was noticed by Tyrion in the Vale but he didn't recognize the sigil, meaning Tyrion didn't recognize the arms of the man who trained Ser Duncan the Tall.

We're not sure if there's any connection between house Hersy and Ser Arlan. I don't see how there could be since Arlan died without an heir. I'd guess the sigil was just reused.

Ser Duncan on the other hand is one of the most famous kingsguard in history, it just seems a shame that the man responsible for raising him from Flea Bottom is forgotten.

Or was Ser Arlan just an unwitting pawn of Bloodraven's?

Exerpt from TSS

Spoiler
Six years ago in King’s Landing, Dunk had seen him with his own two eyes, as he rode a pale horse up the Street of Steel with fifty Raven’s Teeth behind him. That was before King Aerys had ascended to the Iron Throne and made him the Hand, but even so he cut a striking figure, garbed in smoke and scarlet with Dark Sister on his hip. His pallid skin and bone-white hair made him look a living corpse. Across his cheek and chin spread a winestain birthmark that was supposed to resemble a red raven, though Dunk only saw an odd-shaped blotch of discolored skin. He stared so hard that Bloodraven felt it. The king’s sorcerer had turned to study him as he went by. He had one eye, and that one red. The other was an empty socket, the gift Bittersteel had given him upon the Redgrass Field. Yet it seemed to Dunk that both eyes had looked right through his skin, down to his very soul.

The way I read this, BR saw Dunk prior to Ser Arlan choosing him to be his squire.

Ser Arlan of Pennytree. Pennytree is near Raventree Hall...the seat of House Blackwood.

Crackpot Theory: Ser Arlan of Pennytree once served Raventree Hall and knew the Blackwoods (or was a Blackwood but chose Pennytree to hide his true allegiance)...and possibly a young Brynden Rivers. Brynden Rivers had seen a man in his dreams but could not place the face to a name/man. Once he saw Dunk in Flea Bottom, he chose Ser Arlan to take him as his squire.

I just happened to notice for the first time while looking at my map, that Pennytree is near Raventree Hall.

Or was Ser Arlan just an unwitting pawn of Bloodraven's?

Exerpt from TSS

Spoiler
Six years ago in King’s Landing, Dunk had seen him with his own two eyes, as he rode a pale horse up the Street of Steel with fifty Raven’s Teeth behind him. That was before King Aerys had ascended to the Iron Throne and made him the Hand, but even so he cut a striking figure, garbed in smoke and scarlet with Dark Sister on his hip. His pallid skin and bone-white hair made him look a living corpse. Across his cheek and chin spread a winestain birthmark that was supposed to resemble a red raven, though Dunk only saw an odd-shaped blotch of discolored skin. He stared so hard that Bloodraven felt it. The king’s sorcerer had turned to study him as he went by. He had one eye, and that one red. The other was an empty socket, the gift Bittersteel had given him upon the Redgrass Field. Yet it seemed to Dunk that both eyes had looked right through his skin, down to his very soul.

The way I read this, BR saw Dunk prior to Ser Arlan choosing him to be his squire.

Ser Arlan of Pennytree. Pennytree is near Raventree Hall...the seat of House Blackwood.

Crackpot Theory: Ser Arlan of Pennytree once served Raventree Hall and knew the Blackwoods (or was a Blackwood but chose Pennytree to hide his true allegiance)...and possibly a young Brynden Rivers. Brynden Rivers had seen a man in his dreams but could not place the face to a name/man. Once he saw Dunk in Flea Bottom, he chose Ser Arlan to take him as his squire.

I just happened to notice for the first time while looking at my map, that Pennytree is near Raventree Hall.

Interestingly enough, Dunk was already serving Ser Arlan when he saw Bloodraven. (sorry)

Dunk mentions in TMK (211 AC) that he had seen Bloodraven in KL six years prior (placing this event in 205 AC).

In THK (209 AC), Dunk mentions that he had been with Ser Arlan since before Egg was born. As he places Egg's age at 8 or 9, that would be 200 or 201 AC.

Interestingly enough, Dunk was already serving Ser Arlan when he saw Bloodraven. (sorry)

Dunk mentions in TMK (211 AC) that he had seen Bloodraven in KL six years prior (placing this event in 205 AC).

In THK (209 AC), Dunk mentions that he had been with Ser Arlan since before Egg was born. As he places Egg's age at 8 or 9, that would be 200 or 201 AC.

I just knew there had to be a hole in there somewhere! ha! Good think I used 'crackpot' in my theory. :)

ETA

Shoot...Even Dunk says this in THK.

"... I was squire to Ser Arlan of Pennytree since I was five of six. This is his shield."

I'm due for a complete re-read...I need to refrain from theories until completed! :P

I just knew there had to be a hole in there somewhere! ha! Good think I used 'crackpot' in my theory. :)

ETA

Shoot...Even Dunk says this in THK.

"... I was squire to Ser Arlan of Pennytree since I was five of six. This is his shield."

I'm due for a complete re-read...I need to refrain from theories until completed! :P

You should refrain from crack (just say nope to dope and ugh to drugs) but not crackpot.

You should refrain from crack (just say nope to dope and ugh to drugs) but not crackpot.

What I should do is wait until I have a couple of Jack & Cokes in my system before posting any crackpot theories...at least those would be entertaining!

I wonder if these two quotes are related

"Oh, my sweet summer child," Old Nan said quietly, "what do you know of fear? Fear is for the winter, my little lord, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods."

"Jojen just needs to eat," Bran said, miserably. It had been twelve days since the elk had collapsed for the third and final time, since Coldhands had knelt beside it in the snowbank and murmured a blessing in some strange tongue as he slit its throat. Bran wept like a little girl when the bright blood came rushing out. He had never felt more like a cripple than he did then, watching helplessly as Meera Reed and Coldhands butchered the brave beast who had carried them so far. He told himself he would not eat, that it was better to go hungry than to feast upon a friend, but in the end he'd eaten twice, once in his own skin and once in Summer's. As gaunt and starved as the elk had been, the steaks the ranger carved from him had sustained them for seven days, until they finished the last of them huddled over a fire in the ruins of an old hillfort.

I wonder if these two quotes are related

As her needles went click click click... I love old Nan. I really hope she's allright, but I think she and Beth are in a very, very bad way right now. At least Ramsay's not at the Dreadfort now. I wish would tell stories to my kids. Hanging's too good for Ramsay. Burning's too good for Ramsay. He should be torn into little bitsy pieces and buried alive.

Tommen's hair is the same colour as Tyrion's.

Arya was paired with Tommen, whose white-blond hair was longer than hers.

One green eye and one black one peered out from under a lank fall of hair so blond it seemed white. (About Tyrion of course)

I only noticed it recently, on my second read-through. It caught my attention since I've (also recently) been introduced to the idea that Tyrion might be a Targ, since it kind of detracts from that theory if Tommen also has white blond hair.

The reason Bittersteel and BloodRaven don't like each other:

Aegor Rivers' mother was a Bracken and Brynden Rivers' mother was a Blackwood. Their families have been fighting for years.

I apologize if this has been said before, but I thought that was hilarious.

Their bickering has more ancient history, since the days of the First Men kingdoms, I presume. The latest events just add up more. They are also relatives as well.

The quest for the VS swords was spawned off their notorious pride.

Giving it away was in a sense of duty - a very different sort of pride.

Not mentioning that technically it still was a piece of Ice and he specifically gave it to Brianne to protect a Stark, the real owner of the Ice. I've always hated Tywin but melting Ice...

I only just noticed that the winged chalice of Ser Arlan of Pennytree was noticed by Tyrion in the Vale but he didn't recognize the sigil, meaning Tyrion didn't recognize the arms of the man who trained Ser Duncan the Tall.

I've never noticed this!

The main difference between the arms of Pennytree and Hersy is the background color. It is not unheard of for individuals to change their own personal coat of arms to suit themselves - case in point, LF's mockingbird in place of the Titan of Braavos and Aegon II's gold dragon in place of the red. Perhaps Ser Arlan is a member of House Hersy or is a descendant of this house, changing the background color while keeping the sigil. Ser Arlan's chalice is "argent" while House Hersy's is "white," but according to Wikipedia "[Argent] is very frequently depicted as white and usually considered interchangeable with it." Also take note that "tenné" (the background color of Ser Arlan's arms) is a brown-orange, much like the color of a penny. Perhaps the color reference where he is from - Pennytree. In short, perhaps Ser Arlan's arms depict a Hersy in/from Pennytree.

We're not sure if there's any connection between house Hersy and Ser Arlan. I don't see how there could be since Arlan died without an heir. I'd guess the sigil was just reused.

Perhaps Ser Arlan had brothers or cousins that would still carry the arms? Or as I theorized above, perhaps Ser Arlan's arms are an adaption of House Hersy's?

Archived