Wow, I never noticed that... v. 11

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Mirri Maz Duur says she learned healing spells from Marwyn the Mage, I think "Maz Durr" is just a Lhazareen mispronunciation of "Maester", similar to how Maggy the Frog was derived from a mispronunciation of Maegi according to Qyburn.

The old Kings of Winter (who are closely connected with direwolves) would sometimes go out into the snows to die. IRL domestic dogs that live to an old age will sometimes wander off into the woods to die. Does anyone know if wild wolves separate from the pack to die a natural death?

If the pack is fleeing from a stronger pack and the alpha male and female are mortally wounded, they will stay and die in their own territory. I actually just saw this on a National Geographic special on the packs of Yellowstone.

Someone posted in a thread the other day about Varys talking to Ned about Ser Hugh and being the boy who all he has he owed to Jon Arryn, I had never considered he was really talking about LF.

Someone posted in a thread the other day about Varys talking to Ned about Ser Hugh and being the boy who all he has he owed to Jon Arryn, I had never considered he was really talking about LF.

When that was first pointed out I was all the zomg. But having re-read the passage in question and thought about it, it doesn't really work. He later goes on to talk about someone who can only be Ser Hugh without changing the subject, and it wouldn't be fair to say that LF owed "all" to Jon Arryn: he owed his start and coming to Jon's notice in the first place to Hoster Tully.

When that was first pointed out I was all the zomg. But having re-read the passage in question and thought about it, it doesn't really work. He later goes on to talk about someone who can only be Ser Hugh without changing the subject, and it wouldn't be fair to say that LF owed "all" to Jon Arryn: he owed his start and coming to Jon's notice in the first place to Hoster Tully.

Owed it to Lysa Tully. Hosted wouldn't have recommended LF to anyone after he slept with Lysa. He was sent back to the Fingers in disgrace

I don't think LF was sent back to the Fingers in disgrace according to the rest of Westeros. It seems that very few even knew of the pregnancy. I am not sure even Cat knew about it. But, yes, Hoster would be very unlikely to recommend the man who impregnated his daughter to the man she is now married to.

If there was a disgrace applied to his return for the rest of Westeros, it was probably covered by his injury from Brandon and the disgrace of losing to him.

Owed it to Lysa Tully. Hosted wouldn't have recommended LF to anyone after he slept with Lysa. He was sent back to the Fingers in disgrace

Yeah, but he only met Lysa in the first place thanks to Hoster, who offered to take him on as a foster child even though he was of much lowlier family.

Mirri Maz Duur says she learned healing spells from Marwyn the Mage, I think "Maz Durr" is just a Lhazareen mispronunciation of "Maester", similar to how Maggy the Frog was derived from a mispronunciation of Maegi according to Qyburn.

So Mirri is incapable of pronouncing her own name?

Yeah, but he only met Lysa in the first place thanks to Hoster, who offered to take him on as a foster child even though he was of much lowlier family.

By that logic, he owes it all to his father, who had become friends with Hoster which caused LF to be fostered at Riverrun to begin with.

LF owes all he has to Lysa, who was able to convince Jon Arryn to give LF a position in Gulltown. From there, LF grew, and came to KL, separate from Lysa and Jon, not part of their household. So there would have been no reason to return to the Vale with Lysa and her household, as he was never part of her household.

So Mirri is incapable of pronouncing her own name?

Well supposing she did want to call herself "Maester" as a sort of title, it's not out of the question that she'd say it in an accented fashion as well, with "maester" being bastardized into "maz duur." *shrug*

Another thing I noticed and I don't think has been mentioned, was something Dany said after in AGoT shortly after hitting Viserys with a bronze medallion belt...

"She was lying there, holding the egg, when she felt the child move within her...as if he were reaching out, brother to brother, blood to blood. "You are the dragon," Dany whispered to him, "The true dragon. I know it, I know it." And she smiled, and went to sleep dreaming of home."

There's something interesting about that, as Dany technically drew Viserys blood in Vaes Dothrak

Later on the stunted Dragon she is said to have given birth too was Viserys, eg what the Westerosi branch of the Targaryens has become with all their Dragons slowly becoming stunted to the point they couldn't hatch (probably because of Grand Maestar conspiracy)

Dany is there to resurrect the eastern branch, eg Valyria IMO

Some people made a great observation that Dany had technically drawn blood in Vaes Dothrak, when considering this it makes me wonder if there was some kind of blood magic event, eg Viserys is basically sacrificed in Vaes Dothrak as a grown adult, Dany gives birth to a stunted Dragon; If we switch them around this implies Rhaego as a strong eastern Dragon may return as a grown adult as seen in her HoU vision

The other thoughts relate to your observation she was holding Rhaegals egg, I reckon R=L=J means Jon will end up being affiliated with Rhaegal etc etc but if we consider the "crowning" of Viserys this seems to be an indirect reference to Jon being crowned

Last thoughts that Drogo, Viserys and MMD were the "death that pay for life" sacrifices that allowed for the Dragon Eggs to be hatched

I noticed Abel first time but not Frey Pies

The early AGoT chapter about Sansa, Arya etc doing needlework with Princess Myrcella in the Winterfell Tower is a twin chapter to Ariannes AFfC "Princess in the tower" chapter in Dorne following the Queenmaker plot

A big Easter egg IMO that all the participants (Sansa, Arya, Myrcella) will all be Queens, not only that Arya (and Nymeria) talks to Jon Snow (and Ghost) observing Joffrey and Robb in the yard, who both became Kings, which just leaves Jon Snow...

There were two other characters, Jeyne Poole and Beth, we know Jeyne Poole became fake Arya, so I am curious to see if Beth will make a return appearance of relevance

I think it was a double entendre by The George to the reader through Varys.

Timett son of Timett is the Red Hand of the burned men.

Tyrion son of Tywin was the acting Lannister-crimson Hand of the King.

"The Drowned God makes men," old King Urron Redhand had once said, thousands of years ago, "but it's men who make crowns."

ACoK 11 Theon I

As @Rhaenys_Targaryen mentions, it would have been Mirri's own pronunciation that brought the name, but still, you have that one right and I never noticed. It seems Merlin and Mim are echoed by Marwyn and Mirri. What a merry maester ("miri it is").

If the pack is fleeing from a stronger pack and the alpha male and female are mortally wounded, they will stay and die in their own territory. I actually just saw this on a National Geographic special on the packs of Yellowstone.

Nice find!

There's something interesting about that, as Dany technically drew Viserys blood in Vaes Dothrak

No, it was just the other way around:
Viserys with a sword Dany's blood drew... Dany did suffer what happened, but did not actually cause it.

Dany is there to resurrect the eastern branch, eg Valyria IMO

I have wondered about that myself. If indeed Jon S. and Dany are the blatant black and white -- yin and yang of AA reborn, than J is to save Westeros and Dany to save Essos? I am feeling curious.

The other thoughts relate to your observation she was holding Rhaegals egg, I reckon R=L=J means Jon will end up being affiliated with Rhaegal etc

Ghost -> Viserion ... not Rhaegal, leave that one for the Imp.

eta: I had misspelled Timett - good he does not know how to read.

Timett son of Timett is the Red Hand of the burned men.

Tyrion son of Tywin was the acting Lannister-crimson Hand of the King.

ACoK 11 Theon I

As @Rhaenys_Targaryen mentions, it would have been Mirri's own pronunciation that brought the name, but still, you have that one right and I never noticed. It seems Merlin and Mim are echoed by Marwyn and Mirri. What a merry maester ("miri it is").

Nice find!

Viserys with a sword Dany's blood drew... Dany did suffer what happened, but did not actually cause it.

I have wondered about that myself. If indeed Jon S. and Dany are the blatant black and white -- yin and yang of AA reborn, than J is to save Westeros and Dany to save Essos? I am feeling curious.

Ghost -> Viserion ... not Rhaegal, leave that one for the Imp.

eta: I had misspelled Timett - good he does not know how to read.

Didn't have my computer when I read this, and don't have the book now that I have my computer, so I'll paraphrase.

From the Catelyn chapter in CoK where she's at Riverrun, and can see a little bit of the battle for the Trident.

She thinks about why Stannis wants Edric Storm. She ends up saying it can't be his claim, because it was just a bastard's claim, and couldn't hope to match Stannis'.

Not a Cat hater by the way. Just thought it was interesting.

I'm praying it's not a show only thing (I'm guilty of getting mixed up), but doesn't she draw blood when she "wakes the dragon," and she hits him with a medallion belt?)

Didn't have my computer when I read this, and don't have the book now that I have my computer, so I'll paraphrase.

From the Catelyn chapter in CoK where she's at Riverrun, and can see a little bit of the battle for the Trident.

She thinks about why Stannis wants Edric Storm. She ends up saying it can't be his claim, because it was just a bastard's claim, and couldn't hope to match Stannis'.

Not a Cat hater by the way. Just thought it was interesting.

Oh, I am all with Cat. There's no way for her to know any better.

I'm praying it's not a show only thing (I'm guilty of getting mixed up), but doesn't she draw blood when she "wakes the dragon," and she hits him with a medallion belt?)

Oh, you are quite right...

His fingers dug into her arm painfully and for an instant Dany felt like a child again, quailing in the face of his rage. She reached out with her other hand and grabbed the first thing she touched, the belt she'd hoped to give him, a heavy chain of ornate bronze medallions. She swung it with all her strength.

It caught him full in the face. Viserys let go of her. Blood ran down his cheek where the edge of one of the medallions had sliced it open. "You are the one who forgets himself," Dany said to him. "Didn't you learn anything that day in the grass? Leave me now, before I summon my khas to drag you out. And pray that Khal Drogo does not hear of this, or he will cut open your belly and feed you your own entrails."

AGoT 36 Daenerys IV (by the end of the chapter)

...only this needs a stern look as comes even before it:

She was arranging the last of his gifts - a sandsilk cloak, green as grass, with a pale grey border that would bring out the silver in his hair - when Viserys arrived, dragging Doreah by the arm. Her eye was red where he'd hit her. "How dare you send this whore to give me commands," he said. He shoved the handmaid roughly to the carpet.

(further up) AGoT 36 Daenerys IV

Here, Doreah was hit by Viserys, her eye red, but no mention of blood.

I had forgotten this.

Archived