Small things that annoy you ?

TheLightning Lord

That’s another thing. GRRM has no idea how languages work at all. The idea that all the small folk on this giant continent can understand each other AT ALL is hilarious. You can kind of buy it for all the aristos, since they’re all specially educated by maesters and septas, but, like the idea that Leathers from north of the Wall and Satin from Oldtown can just shoot the breeze with Three Fingered Hobb about barley broth or whatever is the most unbelievable thing about the entire series.

It’s a common thing in SF to have to suspend your disbelief like this, so I’ve gotten over it, but since this thread is about nitpicking, I thought I’d bring it up.

Indeed, an entire continent sharing a common tongue down to idioms is a massive stretch. Good call.

I'd also add how the various Lords seem to make very little provisions for winter, and the end of summer being in sight doesn't stop anyone from burninating crops. Months-long winters are no joke, years-long one must be absolute hell. If you run out of food, well, you're dead. Simple as that. And if your peasants die in droves, well, your land is only worth having if someone can actually work it. If no one can, you'll be Lord of your family and surviving keep staff and not much else. The nobles of Westeros really don't seem smart and forward-thinking enough to be able to survive such winters at all.

Grrm is an excellent writer and I love his work.(

disclaimer)

But I wish he'd of wrote the kids as a few years older.The sex scenes( Dany mostly) wouldn't fill me with as much discomfort and I struggle with 15 year old lads outfighting grown men or commanding armies.

This. I'd say that the only kid out of the main characters there who acts appropriate for his / her age is Sansa (and Tommen). Although she might look weak and naive, this is how girls act. Yet, I can deal with Dany's sex scenes, Robb and Jon leading the North men and the Night's Watch respectively and everyone, even when they are 4 times older than the boy, obeys them.

What I don't find believable at all is Missandei and, of course, Arya. I know that Arya isn't a typical lord's daughter like Sansa or Myrcella but still I don't really find it possible for such a little girl (~10 years old) to survive unharmed on the streets of KL, outwit a hired assassin (Jaqen) but what bothers me the most is that this little girl was a leader of bunch of boys and lead them through wilderness. Not to mention her absolutely creepy attitude towards death, her little list of victims and the people she already killed.

This. I'd say that the only kid out of the main characters there who acts appropriate for his / her age is Sansa (and Tommen). Although she might look weak and naive, this is how girls act. Yet, I can deal with Dany's sex scenes, Robb and Jon leading the North men and the Night's Watch respectively and everyone, even when they are 4 times older than the boy, obeys them.

What I don't find believable at all is Missandei and, of course, Arya. I know that Arya isn't a typical lord's daughter like Sansa or Myrcella but still I don't really find it possible for such a little girl (~10 years old) to survive unharmed on the streets of KL, outwit a hired assassin (Jaqen) but what bothers me the most is that this little girl was a leader of bunch of boys and lead them through wilderness. Not to mention her absolutely creepy attitude towards death, her little list of victims and the people she already killed.

This, though whenever, I've brought it up with friends, they always point to young men leading in war in medieval times.

The early Arya chapters (Book 1 and 2) periodically bugged me, with the Yoda-like trite clichés (quick as a shadow, quiet as a mouse etc.) that Syrio Forel feeds Arya, which she then repeats to herself very often in the first two books as if they were excerpts from the Book of Proverbs or the Tao Te Ching.

Nerevanin, the boys following Arya around makes sense when you consider that they knew who she was at that point. Those boys were absolutely clueless about everything in the world, and they were also brainwashed into thinking lords and ladies were better than them. Its a similar situation to when the Ironborn thought that because Ramsay wrote down that he would let them live, that made it some unbreakable thing because it was written down. They could not read and so were amazed by what they considered the phenomenon of the written word.

The chapter where Daenarys conquers Astapor was marvellously thrilling, one of my favourites of the whole series, but I figured out what she was up to within a few pages, and it really strikes me as unlikely the Astapori would have been so stupid as to be thus fooled.

The early Arya chapters (Book 1 and 2) periodically bugged me, with the Yoda-like trite clichés (quick as a shadow, quiet as a mouse etc.) that Syrio Forel feeds Arya, which she then repeats to herself very often in the first two books as if they were excerpts from the Book of Proverbs or the Tao Te Ching.

It was redeemed for me when Sandor made fun of her in the show.

Nerevanin, the boys following Arya around makes sense when you consider that they knew who she was at that point. Those boys were absolutely clueless about everything in the world, and they were also brainwashed into thinking lords and ladies were better than them. Its a similar situation to when the Ironborn thought that because Ramsay wrote down that he would let them live, that made it some unbreakable thing because it was written down. They could not read and so were amazed by what they considered the phenomenon of the written word.

I get what you mean, like why they followed her, that is more or less understandable, although at first they didn't know who she was. But some of my points were that a 10 years old girl successfully led them through wilderness, without food etc, and that the whole time she seemed to be pretty mentally stable, it hardly takes some time for her to get used to new conditions etc while they boys who were older than her were a bit hysterical at some parts.

Indeed, an entire continent sharing a common tongue down to idioms is a massive stretch. Good call.

I'd also add how the various Lords seem to make very little provisions for winter, and the end of summer being in sight doesn't stop anyone from burninating crops. Months-long winters are no joke, years-long one must be absolute hell. If you run out of food, well, you're dead. Simple as that. And if your peasants die in droves, well, your land is only worth having if someone can actually work it. If no one can, you'll be Lord of your family and surviving keep staff and not much else. The nobles of Westeros really don't seem smart and forward-thinking enough to be able to survive such winters at all.

I wouldn't mind the common language so much if there was a little more variation. The Ironborn, Vale mountain clans, and more isolated people of the north shouldn't be speaking an andalised language.

Which is why there needs to be a far more centralised westeros to properly prepare for winter. Considering that it may be that Tywin did more damage by undoing Aegon V's reforms than he ever did during war.

I feel as if in the 8,000 years since the long night centralised westerosi states should have emerged to deal with winter. It may be that the seasons stymie advancement but a political system that keeps more of the people living under it alive will quickly prevail over other systems.

Going back to age of the world, I don't think it would damage anything about the story if the Long Night was only 2-3,000 years ago. While it still requires some suspension of disbelief that the oldest families can be that old it is somewhat feasible, unlike the 8,000 described in the books.

Seven hells Dragon seed,must I needs remind you that this is an asoiaf forum n mayhaps people are gunna get carried away with themselves.I know what you're saying I see them write this shit with mine own eyes.twas only this morrow I complained about to my nuncle,and you know what he said?....

" words are wind"

All those obfuscating q's and z's for the names of the Slaver's Bay inhabitants.

Skahaz mo Kandaq

Hizdahr zo Loraq

and of course... Yezzan zo Qaggaz

I half expect TWOW to describe how Barristan ends up in single combat against the newest Yunkish commander "Zaqqaz zo Quizzaq" or some other nonsense.

Archived