GRRM considering big twist for a major character

No. There were too many Heirs, so I choose to have glorious hair instead. :P

Well someone murdering their own kid for the sake of playing the game would be shocking to a few readers; people hate Cersei but even she wouldn't go that far (at least not right now...)

Oh crap. I just realized. Duh. I missed your name.

That's funny.

Tywin was in on the "HIT" on Joffrey with The Queen of Thorns. For the greater good and for better control over Tommen and to mold him into a better King. Everyone knew Joffrey was a disaster.

Maybe that's George's twist??? Letting the book readers know that Tywin was in on the plot to murder Joff?

Maybe that's George's twist??? Letting the book readers know that Tywin was in on the plot to murder Joff?

Who knows? I suspected this anyway but GRRM could twist many things. Maybe it is the whole Euron Greyjoy is actually Daario Noharris in disguise thing again. Who knows.

I'm thinking it's one of the second or third tier characters we got to know relatively well in the first and second books. The first one I thought of was Loras Tyrell. Other candidates in this category are the hound, Gendry, Edric Storm.

"3 or 4" character makes me think of Brienne, Pod, Jaime, and the other guy; or Bran and his crew; or Edmure, Jeyne Westerling, her mother and father and/or others in that part of the story.

No. There were too many Heirs, so I choose to have glorious hair instead. :P

Well someone murdering their own kid for the sake of playing the game would be shocking to a few readers; people hate Cersei but even she wouldn't go that far (at least not right now...)

The thing is, LF probably wouldn't even know

Why do I have this sinking feeling right now that it's "Tyrion is a Targ"?

But that would affect more than 4 characters, right?

There's nothing in the show precluding that, and it's also a twist that Martin has never thought of before. That theory has been around for years and Martin will be aware of it. Even if he doesn't read fan theories much he's probably aware of the big ones. I don't think any major fan theory fits the bill because of that reason.

Tywin was in on Joffrey's death.

Tywin was poisoned by Oberyn. (but that really wouldn't change anything, so probably not)

Daario is the Blackfyre. (implications for Dany, Aegon, Daario, and maybe Jon)

Jeyne Stark is pregnant after all.

The valonqar has changed from the original plan....

Harry the Heir is Jon Arryn's bastard son.

I think that's just a fairly innocuous comment about how he'll have another shot at the award.

This puppygate really disappointed me. Don't need politics to be main issue when considering the QUALITY of books.

Tywin was in on Joffrey's death.

Tywin was poisoned by Oberyn. (but that really wouldn't change anything, so probably not)

Daario is the Blackfyre. (implications for Dany, Aegon, Daario, and maybe Jon)

Jeyne Stark is pregnant after all.

The valonqar has changed from the original plan....

Harry the Heir is Jon Arryn's bastard son.

This might be right. A+J=T and L+R=J are BIG fan theories being endlessly debated over and over and over again on the boards for the last 10 yr+, definitely not something "never previously considered"

When GRRM says "big, revealing twist on a long-time character that he never previously considered. “This is going to drive your readers crazy,” "

I would think this is going to be something entirely new and not really considered except as crazy-never-going-to-happen theory.

Hopefully he will unite the mountain clans with the Vale lords and there will finally be peace between them.

That would be nice. Though there would be a bit of irony to it, as the Vale would be once again ruled by those with the blood of the First Men. Still, Timmet, despite being a bit deranged, would make for a far stronger ruler than Harry. He is a proven warrior and leader, not just guerrilla-style fighting, but actual warfare.

Some more food for thought, the revealing twist could be with the Hound. In the show he already had a showdown with Brienne so I suppose the Quiet Isle plot is being scrapped there. What if the revealing twist is him secretely following her around ever since she left the Elder Brother???

That would be nice. Though there would be a bit of irony to it, as the Vale would be once again ruled by those with the blood of the First Men. Still, Timmet, despite being a bit deranged, would make for a far stronger ruler than Harry. He is a proven warrior and leader, not just guerrilla-style fighting, but actual warfare.

The Royces might support Timmett's rule since they are descendants of the first men and they swore an oath to house Arryn, so Timett would seem like a very promising option if he's willing to meet the Andals half way. The next ruler of the Vale would need to be of Andal and First Men origin to have a smooth blending of cultures.

I should probably read these forums more carefully because I only heard about this now.

I don't really have any thoughts about that new plot twist. We'll see... within a year, if all goes well.

Interesting to hear him talk so confidently about getting the book done in a year (also nice to hear it from him since that has been my estimate for some time now). Of course it's great news and it sounds like his writing is going well and all, but I still wish he didn't have to rush. I don't really have a reason to think rushing would affect the outcome but I guess you never know.

Anyway, I'm very happy for him! Great to hear about his writing process. He seems genuinely satisfied with himself right now.

Archived