GRRM considering big twist for a major character

Jyana, the wife of Howland Reed, is actually Lyanna Stark in hiding. Ned took Jon with him and Howland took Meera with him. That is why Howland never comes out of Greywater Watch, to watch over Lyanna, which he promised Ned. Also, if Lyanna was the Knight of the Laughing Tree, it would explain why Meera and Jojen knew and Bran did not.

Will affect three characters (Meera, Jojen and Jon). It is said that Meera is the same age as Robb.

Look at the names. Jyana and Lyanna. They look so similair.

If this isn't it then its this: HODOR CAN SAY WORDS.

I don't believe any of this, but I always thought Jon and Meera (show version) looks more like brother and sister then Jojen and Meera did.

Anyone else a little pessimistic about how these novels will end? I honestly feel like GRRM has confused himself with all these different story arcs and now hes doing his best to piece together an ending.

Not necessarily pessimistic on the whole ending, but this "twist for a major character" idea has me a little uneasy. I say that only because with two books to go I feel like the time for twists should be at an end. Or rather, new twists. Of course, there will be those in place since the beginning (i.e. R+L=J), but I find it odd that he's still making radical changes to POSSIBLY major characters with so little time left.

On topic, though, I hope its a character like Jeyne or Mance. Someone not recognized as a core character (see GRRM's letter to his editor) that won't impact the finale and core story in a major way.

Yes it does, in Westeros at least. If Tommen and Myrcella are alive when/if she arrives in KL, and she executes them for being born of incest, that would also make her hypocrite. Unlike you, the situatin with Dany is bit different, since she feels like incest is totally normal (AGoT, ADwD).

And if it doesn't, why is Tywin a hypocrite because of prostitutes while he is hateful towards Tyrion's whoring.

I get the feeling you made a sweeping statement without thinking it through.

Dany is not a hypocrite if she arrests cersei for committing Incest, as has been pointed out dany has never committed incest, and if when she lands in Westeros she has decided Incest is wrong and rejected it then she is not a hypocrite for arresting Cersei. If she executes Tommen & Myrcella it will be to prevent them being used as pawns against her, Not because they are the product of incest. Besides you never mentioned the children in the post Helenaexmachina was replying to, this is called moving the goal posts. it is bad form.

What you failed to grasp is that a person is not responsible for the action of their ancestors. Only their own actions. IE: Helena can hate smoking in public spaces even though her father smokes, she is not a hypocrite, If she smoked in public spaces and espoused to hate that practice that would be hypocritical. As to tywin, yes Tywin is a hypocrite, he punished and derided his son for using prostitutes, then was discovered to use prostitutes. That is the essence of hypocritical behaviour.

I get the feeling you made a sweeping statement without thinking it through.

Dany is not a hypocrite if she arrests cersei for committing Incest, as has been pointed out dany has never committed incest, and if when she lands in Westeros she has decided Incest is wrong and rejected it then she is not a hypocrite for arresting Cersei. If she executes Tommen & Myrcella it will be to prevent them being used as pawns against her, Not because they are the product of incest. Besides you never mentioned the children in the post Helenaexmachina was replying to, this is called moving the goal posts. it is bad form.

What you failed to grasp is that a person is not responsible for the action of their ancestors. Only their own actions. IE: Helena can hate smoking in public spaces even though her father smokes, she is not a hypocrite, If she smoked in public spaces and espoused to hate that practice that would be hypocritical. As to tywin, yes Tywin is a hypocrite, he punished and derided his son for using prostitutes, then was discovered to use prostitutes. That is the essence of hypocritical behaviour.

No. Okay, let's agree to disagree. But Tywin is not a hypocrite. He is resentful towards Tyrion's PUBLIC whoring, he has no problem if Tyrion would do it occasionally in secret.

Not necessarily pessimistic on the whole ending, but this "twist for a major character" idea has me a little uneasy. I say that only because with two books to go I feel like the time for twists should be at an end. Or rather, new twists. Of course, there will be those in place since the beginning (i.e. R+L=J), but I find it odd that he's still making radical changes to POSSIBLY major characters with so little time left.

On topic, though, I hope its a character like Jeyne or Mance. Someone not recognized as a core character (see GRRM's letter to his editor) that won't impact the finale and core story in a major way.

I agree with the uneasiness about this late twist. I worry its a reaction to the show finishing before the books

IMO, GRRM's twist idea reflects a writer's need to keep his storyline fresh in order to sell ever more copies of the latest book in a series. Perhaps HBO writers will find Martin's surprise so compelling they will consider it a challenge to include the twist in their series as well.

I think this is great news. It means the creative juices are flowing again and he's really back in the writer's seat. This, combined with his hope to finish the book before season 6 airs are extremely promising signs. After watching this season of GOT I may re-read ASOIAF and hopefully by the time I do that we get a finalized book cover or something.

I think this is great news. It means the creative juices are flowing again and he's really back in the writer's seat. This, combined with his hope to finish the book before season 6 airs are extremely promising signs. After watching this season of GOT I may re-read ASOIAF and hopefully by the time I do that we get a finalized book cover or something.

was thinking the same thing.

Oh great, another knot...

I think its just the opposite. He has cleared up the issues he wrote himself into and has the extra time to think about possible alternatives that could work whereas before he was stumped with how to untie that "knot" which prolonged the 2 previous books' releases.

Has Rory McCann been cast for Season 5? If not, maybe the hound on the show is really dead.

And in the books, wasn't the hound there during LF's "I told you not to trust me" bit with Ned Stark?

How many characters would be impacted if Sandor was able to get this info to Sansa?

Has Rory McCann been cast for Season 5? If not, maybe the hound on the show is really dead.

And in the books, wasn't the hound there during LF's "I told you not to trust me" bit with Ned Stark?

How many characters would be impacted if Sandor was able to get this info to Sansa?

If he was in S5 they most certainly wouldn't announce it to the world. It would ruin the reveal of his survival.

Benjen and his crew decided to open a shop in Hardhome dedicated to selling supplies to the Wildlings to help prepare for the pending zombie apocalypse: obsidian daggers, COTF-designed flamethrowers, Valyrian steel brass knuckles, and flame-retardant long johns.

I think its just the opposite. He has cleared up the issues he wrote himself into and has the extra time to think about possible alternatives that could work whereas before he was stumped with how to untie that "knot" which prolonged the 2 previous books' releases.

Did he clear up the issues? I was under the impression he was basically told to stop Dance where it was and publish it. If he hadn't done that it is entirely possible we would still be waiting for Dance. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Dance ended the way/where he intended it to.

Hopefully you are correct , but I am a little stunned how positive some people are about things like this

Archived