Casting, News, and Speculation while waiting on Season 5 (show and book spoilers)

Associate Maester

I love how Jon doesn't even flinch when Mel asks if he's a virgin, as if he didn't even wonder what kind of fucking question that was, completely out of the blue. He just looks serious and worried and says "no" in his typical Jon Snow way :lol:

I love how Jon doesn't even flinch when Mel asks if he's a virgin, as if he didn't even wonder what kind of fucking question that was, completely out of the blue. He just looks serious and worried and says "no" in his typical Jon Snow way :lol:

Lol great clip, actually. Kit nails Jon.

I like that they've included the bit about Mel not feeling the cold! As I've said in one of the other 8000 threads I feared they'd have Mel going around the Wall in that heavy cloak.

Also great that people outside The Usual Suspects are doing the interview rounds.

I'm thrilled they included that bit as it is a bit more overtly magical. I enjoyed the scene too, if for no other reason than Jon answers everything so seriously.

GRRM said no author will finish the series except him, if he dies, it doesnt end.

GRRM said that, but as I recall Robert Jordan once claimed the same. RJ didn't mean it in the end, when he knew the end was coming for him he did everything to get someone else to finish it.

Regarding the show plot of Sansa in Winterfell: quite a few people stated that book-Sansa will likely end up there as well, by implication rather soon-ish, too. Presumably based on LF's plan in AFFC. However, as I understand the situation, LF is working on a multi-year plan if he wants Sansa to take the north in the books. The Vale has already been pretty much closed off from the rest of Westeros (except by boat) by the snows in the high passes, and in the north we've seen the effect of early northern winter on Stannis' army. It's not a good time to march an army over such a long distance to go conquer foreign lands (from a Vale POV). Moreover, Bolton and Stannis are fighting over the north and it seems very unlikely to me that book-LF has any intention to ally either of them: Stannis as king would be very bad for a shady figure like LF (he would be booted out of quite some offices, I guess) and the Boltons have a dire reputation in the books. The latter are also allied to the Freys and likely to end up on the losing side of the war against Stannis and Jon.

And there is the marriage to Tyrion to consider, which in the books seems to effectively block other marriages for Sansa, a bethrotal may be possible but actually going ahead not, under present circumstances. Curiously, in the show it looks like this may not deter Alayne or Sansa to marry again. In the books, this should stop an actual marriage to Harry (or someone else) until Tyrion returns and/or the High Septon could be "persuaded" to undo things. And LF lacks the power to force or persuade the HS to do something like this, at the moment.

In short, I doubt Sansa is going north anytime soon in the books. If in the show, Sansa stays with the Boltons or is freed/taken by Stannis a la Jeyne Poole, then that could potentially be a major change from the books. Now, the roads taken by show and books may be different, but D&D (and GRRM) have promised that the ending will be recognisably the same as far as the main characters go. So, I think there is a chance that Sansa manages to escape the Boltons in a way that does not deliver her to Stannis (maybe going back south with Brienne, who would finally accomplish her task?). Or alternatively, maybe Sansa will join Stannis in the books, but then it won't be by LF design.

Some of the more spoilery reviews have hinted that the Queenmaker plot is gone and that now the Sand Snakes and Ellaria are after assassination. Arianne was certainly reckless with Myrcella's life but I never thought she wanted harm to come to her. I know people are saying Ellaria is taking Arianne's place but revenge by harming Myrcella was not what Arianne was after at all. Sue at WOW still seemed to like Ellaria's plot this season so I am hopeful for that at least.

Some of the more spoilery reviews have hinted that the Queenmaker plot is gone and that now the Sand Snakes and Ellaria are after assassination. Arianne was certainly reckless with Myrcella's life but I never thought she wanted harm to come to her. I know people are saying Ellaria is taking Arianne's place but revenge by harming Myrcella was not what Arianne was after at all. Sue at WOW still seemed to like Ellaria's plot this season so I am hopeful for that at least.

In the conflict that would follow the crowning, either Myrcella or Tommen would likely die.

sue said she was neither Book!Ellaria nor Arianne so I'm interested to see how that plays out. There's elements of Dorne from the books that I'm sorry we are losing but there has been relatively little leaked so I'm intrigued at this point...

Ninja'd by Wouter :)

In short, I doubt Sansa is going north anytime soon in the books. If in the show, Sansa stays with the Boltons or is freed/taken by Stannis a la Jeyne Poole, then that could potentially be a major change from the books. Now, the roads taken by show and books may be different, but D&D (and GRRM) have promised that the ending will be recognisably the same as far as the main characters go. So, I think there is a chance that Sansa manages to escape the Boltons in a way that does not deliver her to Stannis (maybe going back south with Brienne, who would finally accomplish her task?). Or alternatively, maybe Sansa will join Stannis in the books, but then it won't be by LF design.

If I had to predict about that storyline, I'd bet Sansa/Ramsay are not able to consummate their marriage due to Stannis/Her own wedding. Interesting that the synopsis of 5x06 says that Winterfell prepares for a wedding. I'm sure it does. I'm just not sure the wedding in question happens, due to a series of factors. I'm betting on Sansa and LF's partnership to be over by this season, as well.

Sue also implicated that show-Ellaria is not only unlike book-Ellaria, but also unlike Arianne. So, presumably indeed the more vengeful kind - even relative to Arianne.

I'm thinking show!Ellaria will succeed at some point. Maybe just maiming? Show!Trystane also seems to be manipulating Myrcella, so...

GRRM said that, but as I recall Robert Jordan once claimed the same. RJ didn't mean it in the end, when he knew the end was coming for him he did everything to get someone else to finish it.

Regarding the show plot of Sansa in Winterfell: quite a few people stated that book-Sansa will likely end up there as well, by implication rather soon-ish, too. Presumably based on LF's plan in AFFC. However, as I understand the situation, LF is working on a multi-year plan if he wants Sansa to take the north in the books. The Vale has already been pretty much closed off from the rest of Westeros (except by boat) by the snows in the high passes, and in the north we've seen the effect of early northern winter on Stannis' army. It's not a good time to march an army over such a long distance to go conquer foreign lands (from a Vale POV). Moreover, Bolton and Stannis are fighting over the north and it seems very unlikely to me that book-LF has any intention to ally either of them: Stannis as king would be very bad for a shady figure like LF (he would be booted out of quite some offices, I guess) and the Boltons have a dire reputation in the books. The latter are also allied to the Freys and likely to end up on the losing side of the war against Stannis and Jon.

And there is the marriage to Tyrion to consider, which in the books seems to effectively block other marriages for Sansa, a bethrotal may be possible but actually going ahead not, under present circumstances. Curiously, in the show it looks like this may not deter Alayne or Sansa to marry again. In the books, this should stop an actual marriage to Harry (or someone else) until Tyrion returns and/or the High Septon could be "persuaded" to undo things. And LF lacks the power to force or persuade the HS to do something like this, at the moment.

LF may be working on a multi-year plan to take the North, but with the speed the timeline is moving and only two books left, things are either going to start happening quickly or something will go wrong.

LF may be working on a multi-year plan to take the North, but with the speed the timeline is moving and only two books left, things are either going to start happening quickly or something will go wrong.

Two books seems extremely optimistic to me; will be at least three (including TWOW), in my guess.

I do think something will go wrong from LF's POV in the books, most likely "Alayne" being turned against him when she learns certain things, or an abduction attempt that ends up spoiling her identity to other people (like Yohn Royce, or the Brotherhood).

Still, it would surprise me if book-Sansa ends up with Stannis, whose own days may be numbered once the Others make their move and/or once Melisandre "switches gears" to Jon Snow. Even if Stannis survives and thrives for a good while, I think his treatment of "Arya Stark"Jeyne Poole (nice enough in a way, but also seeing her as someone to marry off for political gain) and his disdain for "lady Lannister" as lady of Winterfell speaks against the idea. I still rather think book-Sansa will stay in the south, in which case the s5 show plot may be a temporary detour like Crasters was in S4 for Bran and Jon.

No. They only give screeners to allow people to write early reviews.

Well, it depends. Some shows do give reviewers episodes earlier in the week as the season progresses. I remember last year Andy Greenwald mentioned on his podcast (which usually comes out on Tuesdays) sometime around week 6 or 7 that he'd seen the following Sunday's episode already. Its just that its on a weekly basis and only a few days in advance, as opposed to a large bunch multiple weeks in advance like at the start of the season.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're more careful about only giving episodes to reviewers who they know won't leak things in advance though.

Just been wondering, what is show's Sansa motivation for going through with LF's plan of giving her to the Boltons? Revenge? I'm still fairly certain no harm will come to Sansa, but she'll be put yet in another difficult situation. Poor Theon, again sidelined.

Doesn't seem like it will make sense, a Jaime killing Alton sort of thing. Maybe no long term physical harm, but there are a lot of ominous hints, and I wouldn't put it past the showrunners, best to expect the worst.

Two books seems extremely optimistic to me; will be at least three (including TWOW), in my guess.

I would have thought it seemed optimistic too, although GRRM said in a recent interview that he was adamant he would have no more than 7 books altogether.

Archived