Am I the only one who thinks it was scummy of the Baratheons to lead a rebellion?

He was a better King than Robert, Joffery, and Tommen hell even Stannis and Renly.

It's not which one is worse it was which one was a better King for the realm as a whole and in the end it was Aerys.

I think Renly might have made a very good King. But Tywin and Jon Arryn likewise.

I will say this much: if they thought Arryn was too old & childless, Ned too foreign and Robert too disinterested to be an effective King, they really ought to have installed a young Targ and have the regency be the time you raise them to be an effective ruler.

That's kinda the usual RL routine.

This so much!!!

And people keep saying that it was all Tywin that had Aegon killed, Aegon was dead the second thoes idiots declared Robert King on the Trident, I doubt Tywin would killed Elia and her babies if the rebels had just declared Aegon King.

And a baby brought up from infancy with no memory of his father and grandfather would be a great King if done right IMO, he would have been miles better than such a waste of oxygen like Robert Baratheon.

He was a better King than Robert, Joffery, and Tommen hell even Stannis and Renly.

It's not which one is worse it was which one was a better King for the realm as a whole and in the end it was Aerys.

Robert, Joff, and Tommen, sure.

Stannis, doubtful, but I'll let it slide.

Renly? No way in hell, Renly would have been the perfect king if not for his somewhat dodgy claim on the Throne.

This so much!!!

And people keep saying that it was all Tywin that had Aegon killed, Aegon was dead the second thoes idiots declared Robert King on the Trident, I doubt Tywin would killed Elia and her babies if the rebels had just declared Aegon King.

And a baby brought up from infancy with no memory of his father and grandfather would be a great King if done right IMO, he would have been miles better than such a waste of oxygen like Robert Baratheon.

To be fair, I doubt anyone knew just how disinterested Robert would prove to be; he seemed fairly motivated during the Rebellion. But in hindsight it really ought to have been Arryn if any of them. Even if he doesn't father a son...which it seems he did...I'd trust him to designate a worthy heir and the younger loyal lords like Ned & Robert could ensure transition.

I think Renly might have made a very good King. But Tywin and Jon Arryn likewise.

Jon Arryn was an idiot who should have put a better King on the throne and not rewarded the rape and murder of Elia and her babies and the sack of KL.

Tywin was a monster

Renly was a selfish idiot who thought he would look nice on that ugly chair, he was willing to bring about war and death to Westeros because he thought he looked the best with a crown on his head and he would have killed who he believed were his brother's children for it. Renly would have been a terrible King based on this alone.

How is burning Lord Paramounts alive a good thing for the realm? At least King Robert didn't go around killing people during his reign :rolleyes:

Renly was a selfish idiot who thought he would look nice on that ugly chair, he was willing to bring about war and death to Westeros because he thought he looked the best with a crown on his head and he would have killed who he believed were his brother's children for it. Renly would have been a terrible King based on this alone.

Renly never says he would have killed either Tommen and Myrcella, and his reason for crowning himself is much more than what you imply it is.

Saying Renly only wanted to be King because he thought he'd be the best is like saying Robb only crowned himself because a giant bearded man told him he'd be good at it.

To be fair, I doubt anyone knew just how disinterested Robert would prove to be; he seemed fairly motivated during the Rebellion. But in hindsight it really ought to have been Arryn if any of them. Even if he doesn't father a son...which it seems he did...I'd trust him to designate a worthy heir and the younger loyal lords like Ned & Robert could ensure transition.

They should have known Robert's personality.

But seriously what made them declare anyone King on the Trident?

Jon Arryn was an idiot who should have put a better King on the throne and not rewarded the rape and murder of Elia and her babies and the sack of KL.

Tywin was a monster

Renly went to war because Ned turned down his plan to take Joffrey and Robert died before he could get him and Margery together and him away from Cersei who wanted to deal with Robert brothers meaning kill them.

As to rewarding the murder of babies they are also claimants so a war waiting to happen as fucked as it is if aegon isn't made king with arryn regent they need to go.

Tywin was a monster

So you give this scathing criticism to Jon Arryn, Tywin and Renly, but think Aerys II was just fine? :D

Well yeah, I don't think there is debating you.

How is burning Lord Paramounts alive a good thing for the realm? At least King Robert didn't go around killing people during his reign :rolleyes:

I never said burning LPs was good for the realm, he was not a good person and no Im not defending him but if Aerys were ever against the Baratheon/Lannisters Kings who have sat the throne I would pick Aerys eveytime.

And Robert didn't do anything that's why his house is on the verge of extinction, his "children" are bastards that his Kingsguard fathered, he was murdered by his wife and his bastard children are all being murdered and his family will probably not hold that throne, maybe if Robert had killed some people his dumbass family wouldn't be in their current predicament.

So as we all know "Robert's Rebellion" was led by Robert Baratheon, the Lord of Storm's End, Lord Paramount of the Stormlands joined by the Starks, Tullys, Arryns, and (theoretically) the Lannisters. Now, the Starks, Arryns and Lannisters were all kings of their respective territories before the Targaryen Conquest when they were REDUCED to lordships, so as a matter of course it is understandable that they would eventually rebel, but the Baratheons were bastards RAISED to the lordship of Storm's End, they had NOTHING if not for the Targaryens, which makes it just a little assholey and dishonorable for them to overthrow the Targaryens over minor slights. We aren't used to weighing actions based on what our ancestors were doing three centuries ago but we are talking about a feudal society, ie: no one has anything if not for their ancestors. Now Robert was an idiot who thought with his cock and didn't really care about honor but it seems Stannis, he of the iron will who cannot be reasoned with, should have stayed loyal as a matter of honor (yes he gives Jon a speech about how hard it was for him but at the end of the day he chose treason). Thoughts?

Arryn was the de facto leader at the beginning.

It wasn't just a minor slight. The Mad King executed a Lord Paramount, executed his heir and wanted Robert, Eddard and Jon dead.

Basically, I disagree with every word on OP.

It'd be like somebody accusing your dad of treason and demanding that you bend the knee, all the while that persons grandfather is burning, raping and killing his way through your mothers homeland, you go South as the avenging hero and they cut your dads head off, so you say "fuck all this" and put a Crown on your head, a Crown that your family held 300 years ago and may still be welcome to.

Before you know it, your forces are as hated in the area you're trying to save as your enemies and your men have led incursions into enemy territory supposedly just as devastating as that little shit who cut your daddy's head off grandads incursions into your own. Pretty scummy.

It'd be like somebody accusing your dad of treason and demanding that you bend the knee, all the while that persons grandfather is burning, raping and killing his way through your mothers homeland, you go South as the avenging hero and they cut your dads head off, so you say "fuck all this" and put a Crown on your head, a Crown that your family held 300 years ago and may still be welcome to.

Before you know it, your forces are as hated in the area you're trying to save as your enemies and your men have led incursions into enemy territory supposedly just as devastating as that little shit who cut your daddy's head off grandads incursions into your own. Pretty scummy.

Robert was miles more justified than Robb was.

Eddard was, after all, genuinely a traitor to the Crown, on several levels... and the Tully's were the first to be openly hostile after all.

I never said burning LPs was good for the realm, he was not a good person and no Im not defending him but if Aerys were ever against the Baratheon/Lannisters Kings who have sat the throne I would pick Aerys eveytime.

And Robert didn't do anything that's why his house is on the verge of extinction, his "children" are bastards that his Kingsguard fathered, he was murdered by his wife and his bastard children are all being murdered and his family will probably not hold that throne, maybe if Robert had killed some people his dumbass family wouldn't be in their current predicament.

But you wrote that Aerys was a better king for the realm and burning people alive was part of his reign.

Also, except for the Iron Islands there was no major rebellion during Robert's reign. It seems that, after all, even if he accomplished nothing, the reign was pretty O.K. while he was alive

But you wrote that Aerys was a better king for the realm and burning people alive was part of his reign.

Also, except for the Iron Islands there was no major rebellion during Robert's reign. It seems that, after all, even if he accomplished nothing, the reign was pretty O.K. while he was alive

Overall for the smallfolk Aerys was fine his reign gave them 20yrs mostly of peace, the country wasn't in debt, and I think the crown could have helped when winter came about. Aerys at least tried to govern the realm he didn't neglect it like Robert, he wasnt a crazy monstrous idiot freak from childhood like Joffery, he wasn't a puppet that had his strings pulled by a evil dynasty like Tommen and his crazy didn't touch the country until the end.

Robert neglected his country and family and the world might pay because his family has brought about a war that helped weaken the realm when it needs to be united to fight a threat against the human race but no Robert and his negligence and interference helped create probably the worst war Westeros has ever seen. Aerys at least did not contribut to the possible end of the human race like Robert and his dynasty.

Overall for the smallfolk Aerys was fine his reign gave them 20yrs mostly of peace, the country wasn't in debt, and I think the crown could have helped when winter came about. Aerys at least tried to govern the realm he didn't neglect it like Robert, he wasnt a crazy monstrous idiot freak from childhood like Joffery, he wasn't a puppet that had his strings pulled by a evil dynasty like Tommen and his crazy didn't touch the country until the end.

Robert neglected his country and family and the world might pay because his family has brought about a war that helped weaken the realm when it needs to be united to fight a threat against the human race but no Robert and his negligence and interference helped create probably the worst war Westeros has ever seen. Aerys at least did not contribut to the possible end of the human race like Robert and his dynasty.

You are aware that Tywin governed the Kingdoms during Aerys II's reign right? All Aerys did was almost start a war with the Iron Bank and come up with crackpot ideas (like irrigation system for Dorne) that never happened.

Literally that whole thing you wrote makes no sense. Blame Robert for neglect while Aerys was about as involved in ruling as Robert was. Blame Joffrey for being a puppet when the same guy whose puppet he was pretty much ruled during Aerys.

If you haven't read the world book you should really check it out. It would at least appear you haven't.

I'm sure the half a million people he tried to murder in King's Landing would agree with this statement.

You are aware that Tywin governed the Kingdoms during Aerys II's reign right? All Aerys did was almost start a war with the Iron Bank and come up with crackpot ideas (like irrigation system for Dorne) that never happened.

Literally that whole thing you wrote makes no sense. Blame Robert for neglect while Aerys was about as involved in ruling as Robert was. Blame Joffrey for being a puppet when the same guy whose puppet he was pretty much ruled during Aerys.

If you haven't read the world book you should really check it out. It would at least appear you haven't.

To the bolded I did read the book and you should try reading it again because obviously you missed how the book was written from a Lannister biased Maester where the readers are ment to question the things that are written in there and not take it as gospel.

Aerys was involved in ruling his kingdom and no he wasn't a puppet he listened to his counsel.

Archived