Cat problems any help appreciated

Grissom

Lany, I'm not really sure what the owners can do, other than make them indoor cats (which I believe is cruel if your cats like being outdoors and you live in a suitable location) I can tell they are very well fed and looked after. I doubt they suffer a lack of attention from what I've seen - Its a young family with 2 pre-school age children, and I've never seen the youngest child without at least one of the cats playing with her. - Its seriously cute.

Most of the time I see them its either late at night or very early morning. (due to my shifts) so seeking attention then kinda makes sense. Since they would have been put out for the night probably at least an hour before or its now morning (even if the suns not up) but their humans are still in bed, so not around to let them in.

I'm guessing that the cats learn t that our house was part of their territory so are very bold with coming inside especially as they have leant from the previous owners that they will get fed if they come inside. I'm guessing if we keep chasing them out and away from the doors windows and don't feed them, over time they will get the message.

Hubby and I have no problem with the cats in the garden (other than the activities with lavender shrub and plushies - Which really is minor - the lavender seems healthy enough. I just feel that one day I will be asked what the cats are doing, or why I have a giant plushie strawberry on my roof. I may not be able to keep a straight face.

if they seem to be taken care of, then I don't have an answer. it seems odd that well fed cats come looking for food though.

It's surprising they are, um, interacting so closely with the lavender bush since that can be a natural cat repellant.

Isn't lavender part of the mint family? same as catnip

Cats like plants in the mint family (and things that smell like mint, like Bengay :lol: )

Isn't lavender part of the mint family? same as catnip

Cats like plants in the mint family (and things that smell like mint, like Bengay :lol: )

It's weird that lavender was mentioned so often in all the cat repelling googling I did if this is the case.

It's weird that lavender was mentioned so often in all the cat repelling googling I did if this is the case.

It's kind of funny, if you google "do cats like lavender" about half the responses say yes and half say no :lol:

I wonder if there is a difference between the plant itself and just the blooms/perfume/essential oils of it as a lot of those are listed for repelling

Cats are really simple creatures. If you let them inside, they will come inside. If you reward the behavior, they will continue the behavior.

If you don't want them inside, don't let them inside. If you don't want to reward a behavior, then stop rewarding the behavior. They don't give value judgements. They won't judge you an asshole if you withhold rewards and affection. They will only respond to the behaviors you put in front of them. You need to think like a cat. It's not hard, just simplify things and eliminate any emotions you put in the situation.

It's kind of funny, if you google "do cats like lavender" about half the responses say yes and half say no :lol:

I wonder if there is a difference between the plant itself and just the blooms/perfume/essential oils of it as a lot of those are listed for repelling

I used to play with two cats by wiggling the blooms in front of them. I didn´t know it´s supposed to be a repellant.

They never seemed to have a problem with the smell though. If I just touched the bush they came running. One even played with the blooms itself which involved biting it repeatedly.

towards the opener: I hope your cat is alright.

if they seem to be taken care of, then I don't have an answer. it seems odd that well fed cats come looking for food though.

It isn't odd at all. It doesn't matter how much attention and food you give your cats. If somebody else wants to give them attention and food, they'll gladly accept the extra attention and food. They received treats and petting for going into the house with the previous owner, so they are going to do the same.

A neighbor has a lavender plant and when my boyfriend takes his cat on his nightly leash walk (yes), he always wants to sniff out the lavender and goes absolutely catnip bonkers over it.

Also I hope everyone's kitties and puppies are okay.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for me to threadjack now; advice is appreciated. Fair warning, I may be over-reacting.

My cat hasn't pooped in a little over a day, and the last time he did was the first time he had in over a day and it did not appear to be a day's worth of feces and looked drier than usual. Usually he goes 2-3 times per day. Also, he isn't eating as much as usual; he is still eating some, I'd have rushed to the animal hospital immediately if he wasn't, but the past 3 days he's eaten about 2/3rds of what he usually does.

In terms of behavior, he's not quite as high energy as usual, but otherwise is the same as always. He still plays, moves around a fair amount (only change is not doing the racing around chasing dust particles thing, which he usually does once a day), grooms the same as usual, vocalizes the same as usual, and is friendly to the same extent as usual. Also, he's still drinking the same amount of water as usual.

The other factors are (1) the heat. Because my building hasn't turned on the AC yet, its in the low-80s inside, instead of the low-70s that he's been used to since I got him back in January. And (2) there's a 50-50 chance he ate a rubber band 3 days ago (I stopped him from eating one, but am not sure if he got another one before then).

So, I'm not sure if there's a problem or if he's just slowing down his metabolism and getting sluggish from the heat. My current thinking is that if he still hasn't pooped by morning I call the vet, because at that point its getting close to 40 hours. But that'll be at least $70, and closer to $200 if they want to do x-rays, so I'm wondering if I'm over-reacting and should wait a while longer before calling (assuming nothing else changes for the worse)?

So I checked his litterbox this morning and there was a massive amount of elimination in it, definitely 35+ hours worth (or more, since the last time wasn't as much). And it looked like it usually does, not all dried out. Also, most of his food was gone and he's acting all over-the-top high energy again, so I'm thinking he's feeling better and am going to hold off on calling the vet.

Still, I am wondering why he's changed elimination habits from 2-3 smaller ones per day to 1 massive one every 24-35 hours (this is actually the third in a row its happened) and if it keeps up I'm thinking of calling the vet, even if everything else is normal.

There are all sorts of reasons why a cat would change it's defecation habits. Many are behavioral (sometimes they just choose to go differently) or environmental (the change in temperature could have played a role), maybe it's medical. Unfortunately that, in and of itself, tells us very little about why it changed.

If he is running around, eating and drinking like normal, if it were my cat I'd probably just keep an eye on things for a few days. If he becomes lethargic or changes his eating, then I would have him checked out.

Archived