Not smart enough for Gene Wolfe

Houndhelm

I've seen a similar sentiment in advice about how to approach Gravity's Rainbow for the first time. I haven't read Wolfe or Pynchon to judge if it's good advice in either case but it's not something people say about every author.

Maybe not about Infinite Jest. Take each scene as it comes and enjoy the prose. The next time you re-read, you can be confused all over again.

I've seen a similar sentiment in advice about how to approach Gravity's Rainbow for the first time. I haven't read Wolfe or Pynchon to judge if it's good advice in either case but it's not something people say about every author.

GR is so complex I had to use online guides and the companion interpretation book to 'get' it. After a couple re-reads. GR makes New Sun seem like a Sanderson novel.

Long Sun makes New sun seem like a Sanderson novel as well. :P

I love New Sun and started a thread long ago when I finished it saying it was a long, strange strip, but the whole "GW gets better on 2nd read" really held true for me there. The prose is spellbinding, and there's a story there too.

But Long Sun on one read was nigh-unreadable.

Still planning on getting to Latro one of these days.

I read the torturer series and found it passing (it seemed to plod around without too much direction but the ideas were interesting).

When I had to aperiodically explain to people what was going on in the book I was reading, I noticed it almost always had something to do with the protagonists obsession with his sword -- and some lady named 'Dorkus'... So yeah, fantasy. :p

I shamefully admit I have yet to read Short Sun, which apparently explains a lot of wtf Long Sun was about. Maybe I will finally dive into the madness this summer.

Short Sun is also much better than Long Sun. It's his best work after New Sun and maybe Peace.

Long Sun makes New sun seem like a Sanderson novel as well. :P

You think so? I found Long Sun to be a relatively simple and straightforward read. Compared to New Sun, anyway.

It's literally the dream of a dying boy.

I've never been able to reach that conclusion with The Wizard Knight, my interpretation has always been more literal. On my second time reading it I was definitely watching for hints to that end, but I just couldn't quite make that final leap. Care to point me in the direction of any clues?

I've never been able to reach that conclusion with The Wizard Knight, my interpretation has always been more literal. On my second time reading it I was definitely watching for hints to that end, but I just couldn't quite make that final leap. Care to point me in the direction of any clues?

Been years since I've read it, but I'm pretty sure he starts to wake up in either an ambulance or the hospital a couple times. There are references to...a car accident? Again, it's been a while. And it literally ends with him going to heaven.

Archived