[TV SPOILERS] Arya, Jaqen and the 'Gift of Mercy'

WheelofIceandFire

Who do you all think Arya will be sent to kill (if that does happen)? From what ive seen and read, David Nutter directed the scene where she kills Meryn Trant which means that will be in episode 9 or 10, so she has to kill someone different in this episode. Will it be someone (major or minor character) we have already met or just a random guy?

Maybe the curly-haired boy

who some people think was Loras or Tyrek in the book.

What about Ramsey giving a gift to Sansa or the other way round? Urgh.

If Yara is around, her story could be her teaser-chapter

The Sacrifice

From IMDB:

The episode title refers to "The Gift", the region of land stretching fifty leagues south of the Wall, that was granted by House Stark to the Night's Watch when the Wall was constructed, in order to support the Night's Watch with food and provisions.

From winteriscoming.net

Episode 507: “The Gift”

Jon prepares for conflict. Sansa tries to talk to Theon. Brienne waits for a sign. Stannis (Stephen Dillane) remains stubborn. Jaime attempts to reconnect with family.
Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss; directed by Miguel Sapochnik.

The accompanying photo, perhaps unintentionally, shows Sansa in the crypts. Will she find something there or is it the Barbrey Dustin scene with Theon?

Will Jaime try to tell Myrcella the truth?

Stannis remains stubborn is not exactly a spoiler....

As far as Arya giving the gift of the Many-faced god, I think it will be Meryn Trant. I think I remember seeing a pic from during filming that showed Meryn Trant passing by Arya in Bravos.

I thought she would go rogue, i.e. Mercy, on him.That is not exactly the gift. Although it would be strange to see a sexualised Arya.

I thought she would go rogue, i.e. Mercy, on him.That is not exactly the gift. Although it would be strange to see a sexualised Arya.

The gift will refer to many things in this episode I think, even Arya giving a gift that doesn't conform to the notion put forth by the kindly man. I think she'll still be doing her Cat of the Canals thing at this point, a la Darrien. I don't think she'll become Mercy (or something like that) until next season.

The gift will refer to many things in this episode I think, even Arya giving a gift that doesn't conform to the notion put forth by the kindly man. I think she'll still be doing her Cat of the Canals thing at this point, a la Darrien. I don't think she'll become Mercy (or something like that) until next season.

I hope so. She is still little.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Im starting to worry a bit about Arya's storyline in the show. She has only been in two episodes so far and it even looks like she is going to miss episode 5 (which would make it 2 out of 5 and 2 episodes missed in a row). Im also doubting that she will even appear in this episode (7) as she isnt mentioned in the synopsis.

The writers seem to have lost interest in either the character or story arc and would rather focus on other characters (they obviously favour Sansa and even the likes of Brienne are getting more attention than Arya)

This really should have been a big year for Arya after having a 'cool down' season last year (which only really happened because the writers didn't want to rush her storyline and wanted her to leave for Braavos at the end of the season). Arya is now in Braavos and has plenty of content to get through, yet it seems like the writers are taking away stuff from Arya's storyline and also adding plenty of new content to other storylines.

I was hoping she would be one of the main focuses of the season since there is a lot for them to get through (compared to other characters) bit it looks like she is only going to be in 3 or 4 more episodes. How are they going to develop her storyline with her changing faces etc in just that many episodes? She apparantely meets and kills Meryn in episode 9 or 10 so that would likely mean just 1 or 2 episodes for her to do something else. Changing faces should be a big moment for her but it looks like it will be a throwaway scene

This is my first time in the forum so forgive me if this is not the right place for this comment.

Here is something interesting that can happen:

When Arya becomes faceless (end of this season or start of next), she can take the face of Catelyn Stark.

Because Catelyn was killed the way she was, Arya can only take the Uncat version(physical aspects I mean).

Can this work? It would be so interesting if it does.

This is my first time in the forum so forgive me if this is not the right place for this comment.

Here is something interesting that can happen:

When Arya becomes faceless (end of this season or start of next), she can take the face of Catelyn Stark.

Because Catelyn was killed the way she was, Arya can only take the Uncat version(physical aspects I mean).

Can this work? It would be so interesting if it does.

Wouldn't that require her finding Catelyn's corpse in order to get her face? And if so, why not just have Catelyn herself come back as Lady Stoneheart?

I say that because they keep throwing no Lady Stoneheart in the show, EVER.

And you are right, it may require Arya to find Cat's corpse first. But can anyone clarify if it's really required to see/know/have the body of a person for a faceless person to take their face?

Im starting to worry a bit about Arya's storyline in the show. She has only been in two episodes so far and it even looks like she is going to miss episode 5 (which would make it 2 out of 5 and 2 episodes missed in a row). Im also doubting that she will even appear in this episode (7) as she isnt mentioned in the synopsis.

The writers seem to have lost interest in either the character or story arc and would rather focus on other characters (they obviously favour Sansa and even the likes of Brienne are getting more attention than Arya)

This really should have been a big year for Arya after having a 'cool down' season last year (which only really happened because the writers didn't want to rush her storyline and wanted her to leave for Braavos at the end of the season). Arya is now in Braavos and has plenty of content to get through, yet it seems like the writers are taking away stuff from Arya's storyline and also adding plenty of new content to other storylines.

I was hoping she would be one of the main focuses of the season since there is a lot for them to get through (compared to other characters) bit it looks like she is only going to be in 3 or 4 more episodes. How are they going to develop her storyline with her changing faces etc in just that many episodes? She apparantely meets and kills Meryn in episode 9 or 10 so that would likely mean just 1 or 2 episodes for her to do something else. Changing faces should be a big moment for her but it looks like it will be a throwaway scene

What are they supposed to do with her? She's in training, far away from all the other main characters. There really isn't much there compared to the other storylines. She learns how to be nobody, she is given a new face, she sees and kills Trant.

While I agree they could have had a lot more arya stuff so far I hope they are just slowing down her story and training a bit . As others have said it seems like she will meet MT at the end of this season. While last nights episode 5 we have hope that Sam Gilly and Aemon might eventually get there it seems unlikely they would reach braavos at the very earliest the end of this season.

I am hopeful that if arya does kill Meryn Trant that is will be a kill of opportunity and revenge and that will lead to her blindness for next season. It would be disappointing if his death was ordered or was a " Mercy" style death mainly because the show hasn't done enough to explain what the faclessmen are all about. So trants death would better be served as a teaching moment for her rather then her going rogue.

I also hope they hold off on any reveal in the lower chambers of house of B&W.

Hopefully the gift in this episode refers to the land and maybe cat of the canals sees MT's boat arrive so its like receiving a gift.

Just had a crazy thought... (very unlikely to happen) :

Arya will kill Trant in episode 9.

Sam will arrive in Braavos in episode 10 (I think they could have been able to hide John Bradley in Croatia or shot his potential scenes there at Belfast in studios) and meet Arya on the run from the Faceless Men after her personal kill. She'll embark with him to Oldtown and the Citadel and be part of the storyline there (maybe take up some of Sarella's plot) if (and all that crazy wild speculation lays on that fragile "if") the show decides to feature the Maester arc/ conspiracy / plot / trainings or whatever.

I say that because they keep throwing no Lady Stoneheart in the show, EVER.

And you are right, it may require Arya to find Cat's corpse first. But can anyone clarify if it's really required to see/know/have the body of a person for a faceless person to take their face?

From the books IIRC, there is a room in the House of Black and White where they process the dead bodies, and another room where the faces/masks hang on the wall. They take Arya's blood to make a mask supple and bond with her. So I think a mask has to originally be made at the House. Also they remove one mask and give her another later.

I didn't notice she was in this episode, though I saw her listed on later episodes and figured she'd have to be encountering Stannis at some point. It also made me think again about why they've so neglected the iron island plotline in the show. There is a lot of speculation among the characters about the death of Balon Greyjoy, but there was a hint in there that the faceless men were ultimately responsible for pushing him off that bridge. It might make sense then for the sake of television for them to have sidelined the Greyjoys until now, so they can actually show the circumstances behind his demise and the faceless men's involvement.

I like this idea. Perhaps Arya will be sent to assassinate Balon Greyjoy after she's had some practice, maybe with Trant? Her book arc is supposed to turn back to Westeros eventually anyway, so they might just speed that up. And then they might introduce the Greyjoy brothers next season... this season can end with Yara's reaction and the Ironborn calling a kingsmoot.

Archived