[TV SPOILERS] Arya, Jaqen and the 'Gift of Mercy'

WheelofIceandFire

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/19/game-thrones-character-Jaqen-Hghar-returns

In an interview with EW (above), Tom Wlaschiha mentions that the faceless men aren't just assassins but are also sent to deliver the gift to dying people. This must be something that is featured in this season otherwise I don't see why he would know this or even mention it.

So, does anyone think that Arya will be sent to give the gift of mercy to someone as part of her training. It would give her something to do for an episode. Episode 7 is actually titled 'The Gift' so I wouldn't be surprised if that is what happens in that episode (I know it most likely refers to the place south of the wall but episode titles have had double meanings in the past)

For me, "The Gift" has quite some meanings but I think the most obvious one will be the wildlings settling in the so-called area.

I agree, D&D seem to love misdirection. The episode 'The Children' being an example.

I think that from this point book learned have to accept that they no longer have an advantage over the unsullied. The only thing that is certain this season is that the payroll is going to be cut by quite a bit. CGI dragons and direwolves don't come cheap and they are going to need a lot in the final season.

The fact that the SC has sent someone on Arya's list off to Bravos the same week she has taken up training to become an assassin in the same episode is a fairly big hint. But that is not the only character I think likely to be knifed:

Loras (executed on orders of High Sparrow)

Myrcella (killed during attempted rescue)

Kevan Lannister (by Varys)

Meryn Trant (by Aria)

Theon (redemption having saved Sansa)

In addition, I think we will see quite a few near misses:

Jon Snow (for the watch)

Shireen (killing her a bit too obvious)

Tyrion (has to have at least one near miss with all the head hunters about)

Cersei

There is no way that D&D can be looking at what is left to do and not want at least one more season over the seven.

The Episode 'The Climb' mainly referenced 2 things, Jon's climb up the wall and LF climbing his ladder out of chaos.

I think it likely that 'The Gift' will reference both Arya giving someone The Gift of death and the wildlings being given The Gift of land.

1. I agree that Arya will give the gift of mercy to someone while the Faceless Men delve deeper into their religion.

2. The Battle of Hardhome won't be until Episode 9, so would there be sufficient wildlings right now to give the Gift to? Or do you think maybe Jon makes settlement on the Gift contingent on the wildling men helping him rescue people from Hardhome?

3. I think Jorah will give Tyrion as a gift to Danerys, and Tyrion may even spread his gift of knowledge around her.

can it be the gift of life... Beric Dondarrion to Uncat??? Still hopeful

Along that vein, what about Robert Strong for the gift of life?

The mention of the gift at the wall and the gift of "mercy" sound equally as likely to me. & I love the suggestion about Tyrion being gifted to Dany. One more idea comes to mind... Cersei sending Robert Strong's skull to Dorne?

can it be the gift of life... Beric Dondarrion to Uncat??? Still hopeful

I don't see how that is needed in this series. Until they go back to the riverlands to stop the march of the white walkers, there isn't really a need for Stoneheart. And I certainly don't think we will see the resurrection which at this point will have happened quite some time ago.

More likely if LS reappears it is in season 6 and it takes several episodes before the unsullied find out who she was.

I was hopeful for an UnCat appearance, but with how far off they are going, and will continue to go, I'm beginning to lose faith in her return. Most already don't think it's going to happen, so I guess I'm late to the party. But I've still got a small sliver of hope. It's a good shocker to get people excited for the next season.

I like all the "gift" ideas and concepts. It will more than likely be a mixture and theme of the episode.

Who do you all think Arya will be sent to kill (if that does happen)? From what ive seen and read, David Nutter directed the scene where she kills Meryn Trant which means that will be in episode 9 or 10, so she has to kill someone different in this episode. Will it be someone (major or minor character) we have already met or just a random guy?

The location south of the wall, merciful death offered by faceless men, and skinchanging secrets from Varamyr are the most likely interpretations, I think.

Some other thoughts not yet mentioned...

- Needle was a gift from Jon. Perhaps it is featured in Arya's scenes.

- Searching the text, it seems the most common gifts throughout the books are wedding gifts. The description for episode 6 has Winterfell preparing for a wedding. Additionally, if Dany is to have a political marriage to Hizdahr, the act of opening up the fighting pits could be her wedding gift to him or it might refer to some wedding gift she receives herself.

I'm more excited about the possibility of the Ironborn coming back in this episode. The synopsis is: "In Meereen, Dany must compromise or flee. Stannis comes into trouble on his way south. Brienne finds shelter in the woods. Arya faces her destiny."

Yara is listed for this episode on Imdb. I know it's not reliable but it's something.

Yara is listed for this episode on Imdb. I know it's not reliable but it's something.

I didn't notice she was in this episode, though I saw her listed on later episodes and figured she'd have to be encountering Stannis at some point. It also made me think again about why they've so neglected the iron island plotline in the show. There is a lot of speculation among the characters about the death of Balon Greyjoy, but there was a hint in there that the faceless men were ultimately responsible for pushing him off that bridge. It might make sense then for the sake of television for them to have sidelined the Greyjoys until now, so they can actually show the circumstances behind his demise and the faceless men's involvement.

1. I agree that Arya will give the gift of mercy to someone while the Faceless Men delve deeper into their religion.

2. The Battle of Hardhome won't be until Episode 9, so would there be sufficient wildlings right now to give the Gift to? Or do you think maybe Jon makes settlement on the Gift contingent on the wildling men helping him rescue people from Hardhome?

3. I think Jorah will give Tyrion as a gift to Danerys, and Tyrion may even spread his gift of knowledge around her.

This. Makes total sense. The Gift refers to at least three things: The Gift of Death from Arya to Meryn Trant, The Gift land below the Wall (maybe where Sam and Gilly will travel and Sam telling us the story of how the Gift was given to the Night's Watch by a Targeryan queen), and the Gift Jorah will give Daenerys (maybe a wedding gift, I like that).

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/19/game-thrones-character-Jaqen-Hghar-returns

In an interview with EW (above), Tom Wlaschiha mentions that the faceless men aren't just assassins but are also sent to deliver the gift to dying people. This must be something that is featured in this season otherwise I don't see why he would know this or even mention it.

In the books , indeed, the FM were not just a guild of assassins they are a somewhat complex 'religious' order.

That Wlaschiha would know this is no mystery, he has been given the background.

He even mentions the mystery of Jaqen and the Black Cells , how could a FM even be there, unless he wanted to?

He mentions the mystery of why are the FM seemingly shadowing Arya.

So Tom knows a lot of intriguing things about the FM.

Archived