I'm back, pregnant, and need help with a name

snowleo

Okay I didn't realize you favored an Irish name.

For that there are several Celtic Goddess names that are quite interesting.

Here's one:

Sirona - Gallic Goddess of Roman times; consort of Apollo Grannus. She was a fertility and spring-goddess.

Also,

Rhiannon

(rhee-AHN-nohn) or

Epona

I don't have any name suggestions, but just wanted to say Congrats!

I remember hanging out with you in Denver (well, the Casa Bonita, actually). Glad you're back.

Congratulations! :)

My only thought on the naming is that you should give her a name that can easily be split apart with a subtle and intelligent funny quote in the middle, for she is your daughter.

Mr. "I'm not nearly so skilled with the wise and funny mid-name quotes as you" X.

This. :)

Myr "for some reasons splitting a one-word name" ddin

Best to avoid ASOIAF names because everybody now is at it. Theon is one of the most popular new boys' names, Daenarys for a lot of girls. At least the first name already existed before ASOIAF. If it's a girl, I'd recommend Epiphany. It exists already, but it's still unusual, and it's a lovely sounding name. If it's a boy I'd recommend Lucien, though I'm biased, because that's actually one of the main characters in my own fledgeling fantasy series.

Best to avoid ASOIAF names because everybody now is at it. Theon is one of the most popular new boys' names, Daenarys for a lot of girls. At least the first name already existed before ASOIAF. If it's a girl, I'd recommend Epiphany. It exists already, but it's still unusual, and it's a lovely sounding name. If it's a boy I'd recommend Lucien, though I'm biased, because that's actually one of the main characters in my own fledgeling fantasy series.

What!?

No, really, it is. Google it. Regardless of what you think of the character, it is a very nice sounding name.

Note: My brother called his own first daughter Freya after the Final Fantasy IX character. We both discovered later that Freya was the Norse goddess of love.

There were 67 girls named Daenerys born in the USA in 2013 and only 15 boys named Theon. Those figures are very, very far from making them among the "most popular new names."

Meanwhile there were 171 boys named Lucien and 386 named Lucian in the USA in 2013. There were 19 girls named Epiphany.

(2014 national figures from the SSA will be out sometime in the next two or three weeks.)

Archived