I'm back, pregnant, and need help with a name

snowleo

Mathilda and Antonia are great names, but not what you're looking for perhaps.

From the asoiaf theme: Catelyn, Val, Amabel. (Alia is on that list too, but I was thinking of Alia Atreides)

Maybe this list will give you some ideas from asoiaf: Name Nerds

For Welsh names there is always Eira (means snow) and Siân :D

I've always wondered, how do you pronounce Eira? It's such a pretty name, made even prettier now I know the meaning.

Kiara is also a lovely name (one of my cats names), as is Kiana. I believe Kiara means 'little dark one'.

It’s been a long time, but here I am back in Gen Chat asking for your input.

After baby #1 was born I had to seriously cut back on TV, internet or reading, and I chose internet, resulting in no time to read the board. But I’ve missed the community and knew there was no better place to ask for help with a baby name. Our first, some of you may recall, is named Edric. I love introducing him and having people ask and comment on the name. No one has asked if I got the name from ASOIAF—I tell them it is a very old English name, which it is :)

So: Our upcoming kid is a girl. I’m looking for something rare and probably British/ Irish so it sounds good with Edric. I am open to fantasy-sounding names as long as it is an actually documented name. (And not too obviously ASOIAF, no Cersie or Melisandra). I haven’t made it through the World book, and am hoping there might be something good in there?

My true favorite is Cecily, but my husband is convinced it sounds too “sing-song” with our last name, O’Malley.

We are temporarily settled on Cecilia, which is no Sophia or Emma, but still far too common for my taste. Please give me your suggestions!

snow “thanks Ormond for telling us to look at alternate spellings on the SS database and combine to find the true popularity” leo

Cecily is my favorite name at the moment!

Other suggestions:

Rosamund/Rosamond/other spelling of Rosamund

Rosaline/Rosalind

Rosalie

Marjorie

Marguerite

Beatrice/Beatrix

Elaine

Helena

Millicent/ Melisande/Melisende (Melisande is old medieval version of Millicent)

Agnes

Marigold

Sonnet

Heloise/Eloise

Phillipa

Sabina

Godiva

Ottilie

Georgina

Drusilla

Desdemona

Antonia

Jessamine

I've always wondered, how do you pronounce Eira? It's such a pretty name, made even prettier now I know the meaning.

Kiara is also a lovely name (one of my cats names), as is Kiana. I believe Kiara means 'little dark one'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/livinginwales/sites/howdoisay/names/index.shtml?e

The sounds of Welsh diphthongs sound (to me) a bit more distinct than in English.

It's pronounced the same way here.

A rolling R, and an A at the end. Exactly like that.

Congratulations! :)

My only thought on the naming is that you should give her a name that can easily be split apart with a subtle and intelligent funny quote in the middle, for she is your daughter.

Mr. "I'm not nearly so skilled with the wise and funny mid-name quotes as you" X.

Archived