I'm back, pregnant, and need help with a name

snowleo

I know that this isn't technically a snowleo vanity thread, but I just have to say that I've always been a fan and that I hear what's-her-name is going to blow us all away*

Trisk "misses the shit out of snowleo's always clever sign-offs" ele

Congrats!

*Zoolander reference in case anyone doesn't know

When I wrote a column on Irish names for St. Patrick's Day this year I discovered that Fiadh is the fastest growing Gaelic-language girl's name in Ireland itself right now. It's pronounced "Fee-uh" and comes from a word which originally meant "wild animal" but today normally means "deer" in modern Irish Gaelic.

There were only 22 girls born in the entire USA last year named Fia (an alternative spelling which may have other origins, too, such as just being a short form of Sofia) and fewer than five named Fiadh. So this would fit in well with the Irish surname and sound like very popular names in the USA (Sophia, MIa, etc.) while being very uncommon itself.

I like both Cecily and Cecilia myself. Of course Sheila is the anglicized spelling of Sile, the Irish Gaelic form of Cecilia, but I suspect most people your age will find Sheila way too out of style. :)

http://www.behindthename.com/name/si10le

I have no real suggestions, I am stuck too, though we won't know sex for 5 days yet. I am subtly trying to convince my Partner that Visenya is an amazing awesome and not at all odd name for a girl haha, he hasn't read asoiaf so wouldn't know where its from.

If it weren't for GoT I would consider Arya, but because of the tv show, that name is super popular right now.

ETA - actually there is one fantasy name I love that has a basis in real life too. Birgitte, pron bir-jeet-uh. It's a form of Brigit. Used in WoT.

Visenya sounds like a brand name for eye drops to me.

All those Irish names that people don't know how to pronounce, e.g. Niamh, are just asking for trouble.

I always liked:

Isabelle

Isabella

Isobel

Or how about Elizabeth, which is like ten names for the price of one. :)

Genevieve is nice too.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's surprising how many of these were on my long list: Vera, Isolde, Miranda, Verity

Also surprising was how many names on my list I thought were rare are actually rising quickly: Elodie, Everly, Mira, Adeline-- just like Ormond always says.

I agree about crazy-spelled Irish name. Husband's first choice was Siobhan, which is ridiculous sight/sound mis-match not to mention sounding like a stripper. We both like Grainne, but I think it has the same problem. Also, I automatilcally reject anything in the top 200--Elizabeth, Isabelle, Maya, Eleanor etc. are ALL OUT. I want rare but recognizable. Sadly my husband's list was mostly common names.

I like Ellaria, Eira, Jocelyn, Guinevere, Genvieve. Also thank you Kalbear and MrOJ for the laughs :)

snow "unique, but not tooo unique" leo

For me, there are two general rules for namegiving:

1) Don't choose a name that is so in vogue right now, that

when the teacher calls your child's name in the future, five

more kids stand up in their class

2) Don't choose a name that will be the source of bullying for your child.

Children are cruel and when they spot a chance to transfigure your child's name

into an insult, they will do so

Archived