Dating 25, It's Not You, It's Me

Kelli Fury

Somebody who asks me "what are you doing here by yourself, don't you have any friends?" Is likely to get verbally bitchslapped by me.

The one time I put up with it was when I was at a strip club and one of the guys was like, "Are you the owner's girlfriend?" That, I found hilarious.

I've gotten people who say things like "wow - you are a courageous and confident woman to be here on your own! That is awesome!" I can appreciate that.

If I were waiting for my friends (40+, with kids) to go out with me, I'd be waiting a looooong ass time.

Well, my father always told me that if I didn't have something nice to say to a lady that I shouldn't say anything at all! Anyways, it never really bothered me. I'm assuming that she didn't actually think that I didn't have any friends. If she says it with a smile on her face, she's just breaking the ice. Women don't approach very often though, so they can sometimes kind of show their nervousness when they do and as a result say some silly things. This doesn't bother me, because I think of all of the times I've been nervous around a woman and as a result said something stupid. So this makes me smile.

Mostly I hung out at bars by myself because it was easier to meet people in general, not just women. Sometimes groups would ask me what I was doing there by myself and ask me to join. I met a lot of my friends this way.

I went to a Barnes and Noble last night because I hadn't been to one in years and it felt so odd, like stepping back in time. (An actual chain book store. The whole concept seems dated.) I was browsing around and this giggling girl came up to me and said her friend thought I was cute and wanted to know if I was single. People meeting people at bookstores. Truly a blast from the past. I used to work at a Barnes and Noble and it seemed like half the customers there were trying to meet the loves of their lives. Every time I'd walk past someone sitting and reading, they'd glance up with a hopeful, expectant expression like "Are you my future?" I did meet a lot of guys working there, though. So you don't have to go to bars. Apparently you can meet at a bookstore.

I remember there were two specific instances, when I was working at B&N, when I thought a guy was attractive, and in both cases I went right up to him and said hello and introduced myself and told him I'd seen him there before and just wanted to say "Hi" and that I wondered who he was and what he liked to read. In both cases the guys were totally blown away that I would do that. In both cases I ended up not being that interested in them and they were the hardest guys to shake afterwards. As a woman, making the first move gives you light years of advantage but it's a power you have to skillfully wield because he's not going to want to let go of the woman who saw something in him from afar. I'm sure, even if he doesn't like you that much, he will like the idea that you liked him by sight alone.

I remember some handsome devil posting in one of the incarnations of this thread about a year ago, telling y'all about meeting a woman at Barnes and Noble. I forget who that guy was.

You silly goose.

I have a question, why the recurrent pizza euphemism on this thread? There are so many phallic foods it's not even funny, and if anyone's vagina reminds them of a pizza I say to that person, get thee to a doctor. Why that food item in particular?

I have a question, why the recurrent pizza euphemism on this thread? There are so many phallic foods it's not even funny, and if anyone's vagina reminds them of a pizza I say to that person, get thee to a doctor. Why that food item in particular?

:lmao: eating tomato sauce out of a vagina just sounds gross.......but then again? :idea:

I shouldnt judge....not until I can form a FAIR opinion.... yeah......

Food and Sex good combo B)

I'll accept some of the blame for that, in the first "Dating Blows" thread I used that euphemism, but I'm not even sure that's where the later constant usage of it came from. In that specific instance, this person kept inviting me over, actually saying "hey, wanna grab a pizza?" or "wanna come over for pizza" but it was always just for sex.

You were invited for pizza and all you got was sex? And, no pizza, at all? Not even a HOT-N-READY®? I wish I had a Friend with benefits and that the benefits included pizza.

You were invited for pizza and all you got was sex? And, no pizza, at all? Not even a HOT-N-READY®? I wish I had a Friend with benefits and that the benefits included pizza.

No, there was pizza, at least the first few times, but eventually she stopped bothering with it. I was young and dumb and a cheap date.

No idea why POF and OKCupid have suddenly been good to me, but they've suddenly been good to me.

What is going on? I haven't tried POF, but I've kept my OKC profile up, though I haven't been actively dating, and in the last week I've been bombarded with messages. Must be a full moon or something. Don't question it, just enjoy it.

I have a really sexy date with Ancillary Justice tonight. I am seriously looking forward to ConQuest, aside from fwb call a few weeks back it's been pretty shaftless and dry around here.

I am going to be representing NOLA's 2018 WorldCon bid, so I suppose I'll have to be a bit more discreet than usual. I can do that.

In the meantime, I have to take my students on a field trip for 4 days. One of them is sexy, age appropriate and has actively been hitting on me. He is leaving for Colorado this summer and will graduate. He wants to take me out after we get back. Tempting, but no.

Repeat after me nerds, "Sleeping with students is always unethical." Please remind me of this while I'm gone. We leave Sunday Morning.

Sleeping with students is always unethical. Also, given you're the woman in this situation (or in all situations, but you know what I mean) and we live in an oppressively patriarchal society, if people find out your professional reputation will almost certainly suffer more than his.

Archived