Dating 25, It's Not You, It's Me

Kelli Fury

I have a really sexy date with Ancillary Justice tonight. I am seriously looking forward to ConQuest, aside from fwb call a few weeks back it's been pretty shaftless and dry around here.

I am going to be representing NOLA's 2018 WorldCon bid, so I suppose I'll have to be a bit more discreet than usual. I can do that.

In the meantime, I have to take my students on a field trip for 4 days. One of them is sexy, age appropriate and has actively been hitting on me. He is leaving for Colorado this summer and will graduate. He wants to take me out after we get back. Tempting, but no.

Repeat after me nerds, "Sleeping with students is always unethical." Please remind me of this while I'm gone. We leave Sunday Morning.

I also had a date with Ancillary Justice last night. We had a bath and ate ice cream.

I also had a date with Ancillary Justice last night. We had a bath and ate ice cream.

Luke! We had a meat plate and ice cream! She is great with chocolate!

Sleeping with students is always unethical. Also, given you're the woman in this situation (or in all situations, but you know what I mean) and we live in an oppressively patriarchal society, if people find out your professional reputation will almost certainly suffer more than his.

:rofl:

I appreciate the reinforcement of willpower, but I behave exactly the same in real life as I appear here. My boss would defend me to the death over a scandal (provided he wasn't a current student). The power dynamic just totally grosses me out. Even though this one is tempting. We relate predominately like peers and are also neighbors. I can't do it. I don't want to deal with the inevitable gossip (amongst students) and frankly, I'm tired of being a feather in some assholes cap. I'd rather get laid on my charm than because someone had "fuck a teacher" on their bucket list.

Edit: Thanks for listening to me. I KNOW what to do, but sweet baby Jesus, the man is gorgeous and he pushes all the right buttons. He smells nice too. I NEED the reminder.

I am going to be representing NOLA's 2018 WorldCon bid, so I suppose I'll have to be a bit more discreet than usual. I can do that.

I believe that is called networking.

No, there was pizza, at least the first few times, but eventually she stopped bothering with it. I was young and dumb and a cheap date.

There was a girl in my dorms that used to lure me over with beer and pizza. If either had stopped, I would have stopped coming over.

The thrill of eye contact and a smile can keep me going for days. Went to a punk/jazz/wtf freakshow concert last night and caught the gaze of a saxophonist in a cocktail dress. We didn't talk, just exchanged looks. I left before there was a chance to ruin it by making into anything more. I love that moment of excitement. I'll be thinking about him, that mysterious, sax-playing, tattooed, cross-dressed buffoon.

What is going on? I haven't tried POF, but I've kept my OKC profile up, though I haven't been actively dating, and in the last week I've been bombarded with messages. Must be a full moon or something. Don't question it, just enjoy it.

Oh, there aren't any complaints. I'm just pleasantly surprised, you know?

I have to tell you all that it is true that there is nothing sexier than confidence...and the reverse can be very true, as well.

On Tuesday, I *took the day off* to go on a date with a man in a nearby town...say, Nashville, though it's closer than Nashville. Anyways, the plan was lunch and hiking.

The weird thing was that when we met, and pretty much for the whole date, he wore his sunglasses. He took them off once, so I know he wasn't hiding a black eye or something...but, it's very rude to greet someone with sunglasses on. And, of course, it makes eye contact impossible.

But, before we met, he said a few things which made me believe he would have been happy with ANY woman, not just me...and he also would get slightly needy over text, if I didn't answer back quickly, he'd be all "well then. Goodnight." Etc. he asked me how I thought the date was going, and I told him that I was having a good time - but, what a weird question.

Anyway, I got back to Atlanta, and he texted me to say that he "couldn't decide if (I am) attracted to him or not; maybe because (he stated he is) socially awkward."

At that point, I felt I wasn't going to give the benefit of the doubt any longer and date a long-distance charity case, so I texted back that I enjoyed the day, but didn't feel chemistry.

Small thing, I have prescription Sunglasses and regular glass, depending on the activity level of the day, there are some moments and I end up wearing my sunglasses for long stretches of time. Of course, I usually say something to the other people I'm with as I do feel a little goofy.

Maybe there's a cultural difference here? If I met someone and it was bright outside I wouldn't expect them to take their sunglasses off. If it was dark or inside then I'd think it was odd that they were wearing sunglasses at all, but wouldn't think it was rude if they didn't specifically take them off when they met me.

Have you guys ever been to the Balkans? We don't take our sunglasses off like ever, even if it's midnight and we're out in the club. I'm not guilty of doing that though, because I find it personally tasteless, but I don't really care if others do that. Though, if I was on a date and she never took her sunglasses of, it would be uncomfortable.

how have you made it through life this far lmao

Before I was born a powerful wizard cast a spell on my mother's womb which gave me the awesome super special magic ability to live this long without feeling a duty to expose body parts on behalf of some manner rule that I've never heard of.

Also, I don't use every Tom Cruise movie from the 80s as a rule book for sunglasses etiquette. I always thought he looked like a douche when he whipped off his shades to wink at some lady rather than someone who is following some manner code about taking off sunglasses

Before I was born a powerful wizard cast a spell on my mother's womb which gave me the awesome super special magic ability to live this long without feeling a duty to expose body parts on behalf of some manner rule that I've never heard of.

Also, I don't use every Tom Cruise movie from the 80s as a rule book for sunglasses etiquette. I always thought he looked like a douche when he whipped off his shades to wink at some lady rather than someone who is following some manner code about taking off sunglasses

hahahaah touche.

I guess I've just never been a big sunglasses wearer at all. I wear glasses anyway and never bothered with prescription sunglasses or those glasses that turn into sunglasses in the sun so I'd never just wear sunglasses all the way through a date.

I also find eyes, as well as voices and personalities to be very attractive in someone so if they were just wearing sunglasses through the whole date...in doors...it would just be super weird.

I don't wear sunglasses either, it's annoying how my eyelashes scrape against the lenses.

Ive just never heard of any concept of it being rude to not expose body parts that happen to be covered by clothing or accessories when you meet someone.

Well, we're not talking about exposing body parts...just eyes, which you know, eye contact is a vital part of communicating with someone so...it really isn't the same as just exposing a random elbow. But whatever, I guess this is a weird tangent the thread has taken so i'll just stop.

Archived