[Spoilers All] What do you think Season 5 has spoiled for book readers?

Lord Godric

The further we get into Season 5 the more I can't help but think certain plot lines are revealing the book futures of certain characters. I'm thinking mainly of two characters, Brienne and Sansa, because they have drastically different paths in the show and elements of their story lines from the future books seem to have been revealed now.

Is there anything that you think this season has spoiled for us book-readers?

We all know the end game is going to be the same. Therefore the major players that reach there in the TV Show will be the same as in the book. The TV Show will get there first unless GRRM has an ace up his sleeve (unlikely).

Therefore we also know that any character not included in the show or that is dead in the show does not play a part in the final outcome and their story arc is also not that important to the journey of the outcome.

So yes the TV show is spoiling book readers. Many book readers are in denial about this though.

Personally I hope it doesn't inspire GRRM do something stupid like change his original idea or make more of characters now to spite the show. All that will do is increase the time required to write the books.

Fist of the First Men.

Which ironically was more or less the last time we've seen the Others in the books. No Others in AFFC or ADWD. Let's hope we see them again in WoW.

Which ironically was more or less the last time we've seen the Others in the books. No Others in AFFC or ADWD. Let's hope we see them again in WoW.

It's a massive flaw in the books. I can kind of understand Westeros ignoring Dany after "tales" from the other side of the world. But the realm would not ignore a threat of the Others or dismiss the Night's Watch pleas for help. There aren't many left but there are minor nobles at the Wall. You telling me if they got word to their kin their kin would dismiss them as a liar? If Mormont sent a raven back home you telling me the entire Mormont house wouldn't stop and think "We'd better at least send an envoy North to see what the heck is going on".

We know that word is getting out from the Wall because we know people know Stannis is there and about the Wildling attack.

A few of the Southron houses dismissing the Wall's "story" I can buy. But all the houses in the entire realm turning a blind eye? Lazy plot IMO.

It's a massive flaw in the books. I can kind of understand Westeros ignoring Dany after "tales" from the other side of the world. But the realm would not ignore a threat of the Others or dismiss the Night's Watch pleas for help. There aren't many left but there are minor nobles at the Wall. You telling me if they got word to their kin their kin would dismiss them as a liar? If Mormont sent a raven back home you telling me the entire Mormont house wouldn't stop and think "We'd better at least send an envoy North to see what the heck is going on".

We know that word is getting out from the Wall because we know people know Stannis is there and about the Wildling attack.

A few of the Southron houses dismissing the Wall's "story" I can buy. But all the houses in the entire realm turning a blind eye? Lazy plot IMO.

It does seem rather silly that people are more willing to believe dragons have returned this world, than they are The Others. I mean is everyone in Westeros stupid or do they really think that 800 feet wall made out of ice was simply built to keeping wildings out of the realm, lol

Much and nothing

GRRM confirmed the endgame would be the same as in the books but the show takes shortcuts to position the characters where they are supose to be (using cheap shock moments on the way).

The level of simplification in the show nearly forces them to do so, a level that causes and will cause enormous plotholes with the established characters.

-We know Sansa didn't marry Ramsey

-we know Barristan is alive

-we know Jaime is not in Dorne

-we know Shireen didn't bur (yet)

-we have no idea if Benjen might be alive

The show can take the freedom (it is basicly fanfiction at this point) to kill off characters that won't play a major role in the end, or change the storylines to fit their timetable.

In the end we know the books will be different, more complex, (I might be in denial but) we will find oureself (hopefully soon) in front of a very different book.

Good post above, the books are far more expansive so the TV show takes short cuts and merges characters but it's essentially telling the same story and working towards the same ending. We know GRRM wants the next book out before the next season airs (next April) so we remain on a path that keeps them relatively together, my only concern is the final book will likely take another five years and the show should complete in 2017 so we may see totally added scenes to get us to the finale and seriously hope GRRM writes some of those episodes (ideally the last one).

I don't think the Show has spoiled anything for Book Readers at all. The only thing it has done is show that the books are more about stuff like character, theme and texture than mere shock effects. Knowing the ending or having it spoiled is not going to spoil anything or tell us about what to expect when we get there.

At the most the show will spoil what will happen to Tyrion, Dany and Jon Snow. Not unimportant but I am pretty certain we have made all the permutations and combinations of their likely fates so there's not much that the mere knowing of the ending will essentially change. And considering how drastically the show has changed the characters (Tyrion especially) the book's version will be entirely different, tonally and emotionally. Without Tysha, show!Tyrion is not really Tyrion anymore.

As for the rest, so much has changed and shuffled that its unlikely we'll learn the answers of the following questions from the show?

1) Is the Faceless Men really responsible for the Downfall to Valyria? Is Hardhome an early attempt to trigger the doom?

2) Who was the brother that Bloodraven really loved?

3) What was up with Ned and the Daynes?

4) What will happen to Jaime, Cersei and others?

5) What is Lady Stoneheart's final fate?

6) What is up with the Blackfyres, Golden Company and Varys?

7) What happened at Summerhall?

Among many others, there is much and more that the books have to deal with than the show does. So I don't think the show has any super-advantage at all.

It does seem rather silly that people are more willing to believe dragons have returned this world, than they are The Others. I mean is everyone in Westeros stupid or do they really think that 800 feet wall made out of ice was simply built to keeping wildings out of the realm, lol

The difference is they all know for sure that Dragons existed - it's only been 300 years, and the skulls are still kept beneath the Red Keep.

The WW last showed up centuries before AC, right? They've become the stuff children's horror stories are made of. Dragons are simply fire breathing, flying lizards that everyone thought had gone extinct fairly recently. Not an army of the dead lead by invincible humanoid ice demons.

I don't think the Show has spoiled anything for Book Readers at all. The only thing it has done is show that the books are more about stuff like character, theme and texture than mere shock effects. Knowing the ending or having it spoiled is not going to spoil anything or tell us about what to expect when we get there.

At the most the show will spoil what will happen to Tyrion, Dany and Jon Snow. Not unimportant but I am pretty certain we have made all the permutations and combinations of their likely fates so there's not much that the mere knowing of the ending will essentially change. And considering how drastically the show has changed the characters (Tyrion especially) the book's version will be entirely different, tonally and emotionally. Without Tysha, show!Tyrion is not really Tyrion anymore.

As for the rest, so much has changed and shuffled that its unlikely we'll learn the answers of the following questions from the show?

1) Is the Faceless Men really responsible for the Downfall to Valyria? Is Hardhome an early attempt to trigger the doom?

2) Who was the brother that Bloodraven really loved?

3) What was up with Ned and the Daynes?

4) What will happen to Jaime, Cersei and others?

5) What is Lady Stoneheart's final fate?

6) What is up with the Blackfyres, Golden Company and Varys?

7) What happened at Summerhall?

Among many others, there is much and more that the books have to deal with than the show does. So I don't think the show has any super-advantage at all.

And As GRRM said, In one intriguing new wrinkle, Martin says he just came up with a big, revealing twist on a long-time character that he never previously considered. “This is going to drive your readers crazy,” he teases, “but I love it. I’m still weighing whether to go that direction or not. It’s a great twist. It’s easy to do things that are shocking or unexpected, but they have to grow out of characters. They have to grow out of situations. Otherwise, it’s just being shocking for being shocking. But this is something that seems very organic and natural, and I could see how it would happen. And with the various three, four characters involved… it all makes sense. But it’s nothing I’ve ever thought of before. And it’s nothing they can do in the show, because the show has already—on this particular character—made a couple decisions that will preclude it, where in my case I have not made those decisions.http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/03/george-rr-martin-winds-date

Archived