The Thick Of It

Dillinger

Does anyone else love this wonderful, wonderful comedy? Or indeed the film?

Been rewatching it recently, which was nicely timed with the recent UK general election. It's just perfect.

"I went to Spain, Mallorca. Went golfing with Stephen Hawking: he lied about his handicap. Didn't need a golf cart though, I just sat on his lap"

Come the fuck in or fuck the fuck off.

Funny, smart, frighteningly prescient and home to the greatest swearer in television history. It's a great show.

Nice avatar dude.

"Oh im sorry, you won't hear any more swearing from us. You MASSIVE. GAY. SHITE. FUCK OFF!"

Yep, The Thick of It was fantastic. It tailed off at the end a bit for me, but one of the final episodes when everyone betrays Niccola Murry while she's on a train is probably one of my favorite bits. I watched the first season of Veep and enjoyed it; I really need to start watching it again.

Al Swearengen :P

I loved The Thick of It and In the loop. Veep has been amazing as usual this season as well. Iannucci is brilliant.

Al might be my favourite character ever but when it comes to swearing, creative insults and general bollocking I think Malcolm has him pipped. :P

I should give Veep another try; I watched the first two eps and didn't like it that much, but I've heard it gets a lot better (and, to be fair, The Thick of It, imo at least, gets better as it goes).

"Oh im sorry, you won't hear any more swearing from us. You MASSIVE. GAY. SHITE. FUCK OFF!"

That was my second choice for opening swear... There's a lot to choose from mind.

Eta: sadly, my avatar is due for a refresh soon. I've kept it for longer than I usually do as it is.

"What's that film you love? The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."

This may be my favorite exchange of the show:

Hugh Abbott: [sarcastically] What d'you want me to do? Resign?! [sees the look on Malcolm's face] No! No. No, that is--I'm not doing that!
Malcolm Tucker: The way out for you is to--
Hugh Abbott: This is madness Malcolm. This desire for perfection, but I'm not perfect, I'm just a person right. I need to sleep, I need to eat, occasionally I need to take a dump. So, I mean, what's next? Do we put that on the evening news? On--on the front page? "Minister is disgusting defecation outburst". Molly Sugden at Number Ten: "Did you enjoy your shit, Mr Abbott?" They should just clone ministers, you know, so that we're born at 55 with no past, no flats and no genitals. Just a world of robots in a sort of--it's like a futuristic film. And you'd enjoy that wouldn't you? You'd be in your little space station surrounded by obedient androids, like that fucking brushed-aluminium Dan Miller cyberprick!
Malcolm Tucker: It is possible to have a good resignation, you know?!
Hugh: A good resignation? Well, I'm looking forward to how you're gonna sell this to me!
Malcolm: Look, people really like it when you go just a bit early! You know; steely jawed, faraway look in your eyes! Before you get to the point when they're sitting round in the pub saying "Oh, that fucker's got to go!", you surprise them! "Blimey, he's gone! I didn't expect that! Resigned? You don't see that much anymore! Old school! Respect! I rather liked the guy! He was hounded out by the fucking press!" How about that, eh? What a way to go!

Archived