The Old Woman In Winterfell

[Deleted]

But if Brienne is recipient, that would have meant that her message was something like the following:

"Light a candle, and then I will somehow magically break into the castle , kill vast numbers of Bolton men, and then you will be safe"

That is absurd.

Well, there's plenty absurd about this plot, but seeing as Brienne is cultivating allies amongst the ordinary people (hence, sending the message in the first place), one imagines she intends to infiltrate it, as Mance did.

More to the point, if the old lady wasn't delivering Brienne's message, where is Brienne's message?

He's referring to the first conversation, back in episode 503.

But you're correct, the clear implication is that the message the lady brought her is from Brienne. Which only makes sense, because if she was meant to be communicating with the old lady herself, she could just do that. The candle is only necessary if somebody outside the castle is the intended recipient, i.e., Brienne.

Yes that is absurd, the candle is not for Brienne : she's too far to see it, and she can't enter the castle and kill everyone to save Sansa... The candle is for the old woman, she probably wants to help Sansa flee the castle if something goes wrong.

And this old woman probably plays the role of Mance and the girls in the books, she could help Sansa escape and then get caught, while Theon does the rest, until they meet Brienne in the village.

Colonel Green makes a good point.

Well, there's plenty absurd about this plot, but seeing as Brienne is cultivating allies amongst the ordinary people (hence, sending the message in the first place), one imagines she intends to infiltrate it, as Mance did.

More to the point, if the old lady wasn't delivering Brienne's message, where is Brienne's message?

One could also ask, what is Brienne's message?

"Tell Lady Sansa that if she feels unsafe, she comes to the inn, even in the cover of darkness if need be, and then I will follow her wherever she wants me to follow her."

But if Brienne is recipient, that would have meant that her message was something like the following:

"Light a candle, and then I will somehow magically break into the castle , kill vast numbers of Bolton men, and then you will be safe" :agree:

That is absurd.

Yeah like we haven't seen two people try to break into a heavily fortified area to rescue a girl this season. :drunk:

It would be fitting if Brienne's idea was as absurd as her boyfriend Jaime's

Most likely a Ramsay trap though. I doubt the Boltons have old people from the area working for them instead of bringing their own folk

I don't think its a trap, but I foresee Brienne's northern flavor of Jaime's Dornish "Rescue" only with less benign results (nobody was killed, everybody is cooling off their heads, the only one in danger is Bronn - commoner)

I don't believe the old woman and old man are Bolton plants

It doesn't matter if it were Bolton people. Both in the books and in the TV show, Boltons only have several highly sadistic people REALLY loyal to them - usually younger ones (aka Locke, Miranda), some faithful old family retainers, in the books Ramsey's gang, mercenary soldiers.

Older people and commoners in the Bolton area are beaten and terrified into submission and certainly cannot lie and fake loyalty to others in order to betray them. If it were Miranda or someone closer to Roose's mature age, I would believe it was a plant. Old woman, nah!

I don't think its a trap, but I foresee Brienne's northern flavor of Jaime's Dornish "Rescue" only with less benign results (nobody was killed, everybody is cooling off their heads, the only one in danger is Bronn - commoner)

I don't believe the old woman and old man are Bolton plants

It doesn't matter if it were Bolton people. Both in the books and in the TV show, Boltons only have several highly sadistic people REALLY loyal to them - usually younger ones (aka Locke, Miranda), some faithful old family retainers, in the books Ramsey's gang, mercenary soldiers.

Older people and commoners in the Bolton area are beaten and terrified into submission and certainly cannot lie and fake loyalty to others in order to betray them. If it were Miranda or someone closer to Roose's mature age, I would believe it was a plant. Old woman, nah!

You are forgetting that the creators of the show arranged Sansa to be raped.

I generally agree with you, but the creators of the show want SHOCK SHOCK SHOCK

Yeah like we haven't seen two people try to break into a heavily fortified area to rescue a girl this season. :drunk:

Most likely a Ramsay trap though. I doubt the Boltons have old people from the area working for them instead of bringing their own folk

I would go rather with Roose.

It seems to me that Ramsey only became angry with Sansa after the dinner.

I'll be pretty disappointed if the old woman and old guy that Brienne talks to are both traitorous or Bolton plants. If they are doing away with a lot of the Northern lords who clearly plan vengeance against the Boltons, the least they can do is throw us a bone with some commoners who decide to help Sansa out of loyalty. Why name drop "The North Remembers" if no Northern vengeance comes out of it?

I don't know why some people think it's impossible for Brienne to enter the castle. I mean Jaime and Bronn easily done it, Asha ups I mean Yara easily done it, even Theon in S2 broke into Winterfell (ok, here we can blame the books). Breaking into the castle seem like walk in the park here :D

Oh! Imagine this! Theon and the old lady in winterfell teams up, while Brienne, Pod and the old man teams up. They both decide to rescue Sansa, then arrive at the same time. Begun fighting in a F movie style. Ramsay bolton arrives with his dogs. Tell Theon it would be an good fight if he was still whole.

Archived