The Old Woman In Winterfell

[Deleted]

Who is she?

She obviously is someone with strong Northern ties, and she keeps dropping hints like "The North remembers." and "You still have friends in the North, Lady Sansa."

But I haven't made the connection to who she actually is or why she's in Winterfell.

Thoughts?

So either she's from the area around Winterfell and Sansa doesn't know her, or... she came with the Boltons.

That's the feeling that I got. The setup for the tower and the candle seemed a little too clean, and it's sort of suspicious that both she and Ramsay said "the North remembers".

Who is she?

She obviously is someone with strong Northern ties, and she keeps dropping hints like "The North remembers." and "You still have friends in the North, Lady Sansa."

But I haven't made the connection to who she actually is or why she's in Winterfell.

Thoughts?

I think she could possibly be a spy for Ramsay! He likes to set people up like he did when he had Theon captive and he set him free claiming to be representing Theons sister. If Sansa lights the candle then Ramsay is aware that Sansa is unhappy, and Ramsay would become aware of Sansa's discontedness, or she could be another agent of littlefingers like Ser Dontos turned out to be

hmm... I don't think it is the boltons? or am I just hoping lol? I think the people have started talking because of briane talking to the inn keeper outside winterfell... I think it's genuinely the north are loyal to the Starks throughout

I am assuming Barbrey Dustin. But then again isn't she too old to be her.

The Lady of Barrowton wouldn't be acting as Sansa's laundry maid.

She's a peasant woman. Whether she's a Stark loyalist or a Bolton ploy remains to be seen.

I have wondered this myself. If she had worked at Winterfell for any length of time, you'd expect Sansa to recognize her. So either she's from the area around Winterfell and Sansa doesn't know her, or... she came with the Boltons.

I wouldn't.

Sansa is the daughter of the lord of Winterfell. Lords and Ladies are not often acquainted with all of their household servants. Low level workers would get their marching orders from supervisors, whom the masters of the house would know.

Sansa likely would have been familiar with her Handmaidens, but not many other servants.

What makes much less sense to me is the old guy Brienne talked with. If he had actually lived there for long, then he would have been killed when Ramsay torched Winterfell, as obviously they would have eliminated any nearby witnesses. The old lady could just be a nobody peasant, but for the same reason she can't be someone who has just happened to always live there.

Of course in theory he could have managed to hide or conveniently been somewhere else when it all happened, but that'd be rather contrived if it was never explained.

Oh why did I read this thread. Now I have the image of Sansa running up the stairs in that tower as her last hope and finding a room of flayed corpses at the top. I wouldn't put it past D&D to do a repeat of Theon's torment with extra Bluebeard.

Archived