Penny Dreadful II: Take Me To Church

Theda Baratheon

Yeah didn't care for this one at all. Weakest episode of the series.

It was really slow but better than the last episode (my least favorite of the season so far). It had more Ms. Ives which suits me fine, Eva Green doing a posh British accent with her native French one bursting out occasionally is cute as fuck....it's the way she enunciates those vowels..

Dorian (yawn). Sir Malcolm, as has been the case all year, criminally under used. The Frankenstein sub plot, meh, I guess when Ethan finds out about reanimated Brona things will get more interesting, he mentions her to Vanessa which I guess is a clue to what's coming. Josh Hartnett continues to impress the crap out of me, great acting with a heavy hitter like Green. The werewolf reveal though, jeez I know they've got to watch the budget and all but that wasn't what I was expecting, Hartnett with a wig and false teeth? Disappointing.

Otherwise, and as usual, great cinematography, but feel like we've been meandering for the past couple of episodes.

BE STILL MY BEATING HEART THIRD SEASON CONFIRMED, :D

Edit: http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/penny-dreadful-season-3-showtime-john-logan-1201520756/also on their FB page too.

Sorry if it was already mentioned. Haven't seen the episode yet so I can't read the comments.

That is excellent news. Thanks for the info.

That is excellent news. Thanks for the info.

Yep.

And, regarding ratings, this is at the end of the short article:

“Dreadful” has been a multiplatform success story for Showtime, with a good portion of its audience coming through VOD and streaming platforms.

So maybe this explains the low ratings?

Wonderful news! Thanks! I guess we knew it was always likely, but I was definitely worried for a little while there. It's good to hear the series is still an online success and yeah I bet you're right and that helped a lot -- it was my understanding that this was the case last year but I don't think we'd heard before this whether the multiplatform audience had persisted, since networks almost never talk about their online stuff.

Thank you creepy lycanthropic witchy Jesus.

BE STILL MY BEATING HEART THIRD SEASON CONFIRMED, :D A 9 episode season this time.

Edit: http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/penny-dreadful-season-3-showtime-john-logan-1201520756/also on their FB page too.

Sorry if it was already mentioned. Haven't seen the episode yet so I can't read the comments.

It was clearly us who got this renewed, good teamwork everyone!

I do watch it on VOD also, because I'm usually watching Veep, but the amount of live watchers in the U.S. still seemed ridiculously low and had me worried.

Loved the episode, but wrt the clip for next week, I would like to say now "Called it!" :D maybe it's premature and I'll eat my words next week but hey, least i was partly right. I mean, of course

Dorian's portrait being seen by Angelique

Next week looks really great, very eventful. I think I see what is going on with Lily, but we'll see. Basically I think the process of reanimating her altered her brain and turned her psychotic. Coupled with her increasing resentment of being Victor's 'possession' and some vague memories of her life as a prostitute (hence the sex element of it) ...but who knows. I do hope it's explained properly though

Eta: BwB I had a nice long waffle about the episode as pee usual, but I lost it *sigh* reading back (finally! Been so tempted to look in since Sunday :( I agree with Bear Quuen's comments. And I though Victor/Lyle was possibly the best scene, even with the kiss between Ethan and Vanessa

For Helena and Theda specifically but also for everyone who just lost their minds, I give you...THIS

:D thank you, thank you! Expect Theda along shortly, lol. We only just got the episode her

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6VXcOAP3McI Next weeks preview

One question - as it's just finished here. How the bloody hell is Lilybron strong enough to strangle that beefy guy? :) Has she acquired superhuman strength with her resurrection? It was the first time I've had a WTF moment, and I guess it's no big deal - still it made me chuckle.

A roller coaster of emotions with Vanessa and Ethan tonight. Is Ethan our 'hero', then? He accepts the monster inside him and is determined not to hurt people. Vanessa - I'm not so sure. This is interesting to me. Does she need saving from the Devil/Amon Ra character - whoever he is - or does she embrace it? If you remember the finale last season, the priest told her she was special because she had been touched by the demon. I think a part of her likes it.

I enjoyed this episode more than last week's as it had more depth and got my brain working overtime.

One question - as it's just finished here. How the bloody hell is Lilybron strong enough to strangle that beefy guy? :) Has she acquired superhuman strength with her resurrection? It was the first time I've had a WTF moment, and I guess it's no big deal - still it made me chuckle.

A roller coaster of emotions with Vanessa and Ethan tonight. Is Ethan our 'hero', then? He accepts the monster inside him and is determined not to hurt people. Vanessa - I'm not so sure. This is interesting to me. Does she need saving from the Devil/Amon Ra character - whoever he is - or does she embrace it? If you remember the finale last season, the priest told her she was special because she had been touched by the demon. I think a part of her likes it.

I enjoyed this episode more than last week's as it had more depth and got my brain working overtime.

I would say yes, to the strength thing. I mean, Caliban ripped Proteous in half with his bare hands last season. There is obviously something beyond natural 'life' with the Monsters

BE STILL MY BEATING HEART THIRD SEASON CONFIRMED, :D A 9 episode season this time.

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

Loved the episode, but wrt the clip for next week, I would like to say now "Called it!" :D maybe it's premature and I'll eat my words next week but hey, least i was partly right. I mean, of course

Dorian's portrait being seen by Angelique

Next week looks really great, very eventful. I think I see what is going on with Lily, but we'll see. Basically I think the process of reanimating her altered her brain and turned her psychotic. Coupled with her increasing resentment of being Victor's 'possession' and some vague memories of her life as a prostitute (hence the sex element of it) ...but who knows. I do hope it's explained properly though

Eta: BwB I had a nice long waffle about the episode as pee usual, but I lost it *sigh* reading back (finally! Been so tempted to look in since Sunday :( I agree with Bear Quuen's comments. And I though Victor/Lyle was possibly the best scene, even with the kiss between Ethan and Vanessa

:D thank you, thank you! Expect Theda along shortly, lol. We only just got the episode her

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6VXcOAP3McI Next weeks preview

I LOVED the Victor/Lyle scen as well. It was very deep and fascinating. I enjoy that Victor is trying to maintain his "science only" mindset, something that is becoming increasingly hard to do. And your welcome for the pretty shiny!

Well I'm assuming unnaturally so, if Caliban is anything to go by, but as I've seen as much of the show as you that is simply speculation. I personally think Victors process alters mind and body significantly (mind, very understandable. I mean, it's basically extremely high voltage ECT.

Was seeing the wax figurines a trigger for Lily in any way? She obviously didn't strangle Victor during sex but after seeing the bloody horrors in the wax museum, she becomes more violent and predatory.

Wonder what Vanessa will do/did with that piece of paper the witch left her.

Madame Kali is definitely turning into one of my favorites on the show, especially after the bath of blood, the creepy dolls, and last nights BDSM scene.

Lol that song she was singing (it was more of a hymn I guess) was totally additive, I played that scene like four times just to hear it again :lol:

It was really slow but better than the last episode (my least favorite of the season so far). It had more Ms. Ives which suits me fine, Eva Green doing a posh British accent with her native French one bursting out occasionally is cute as fuck....it's the way she enunciates those vowels..

Dorian (yawn). Sir Malcolm, as has been the case all year, criminally under used. The Frankenstein sub plot, meh, I guess when Ethan finds out about reanimated Brona things will get more interesting, he mentions her to Vanessa which I guess is a clue to what's coming. Josh Hartnett continues to impress the crap out of me, great acting with a heavy hitter like Green. The werewolf reveal though, jeez I know they've got to watch the budget and all but that wasn't what I was expecting, Hartnett with a wig and false teeth? Disappointing.

Otherwise, and as usual, great cinematography, but feel like we've been meandering for the past couple of episodes.

Frankenstein plot looks to be coming to a peak next week. I'm not all that sure Ethan will be involved there, but of it continues on through episodes 9 and 10 I guess he could.

Was seeing the wax figurines a trigger for Lily in any way? She obviously didn't strangle Victor during sex but after seeing the bloody horrors in the wax museum, she becomes more violent and predatory.

That's an interesting thought. I also think she might, at least subconsciously, remember something of her life as Brona. There was something very bold and daring (given the time this is based around, I mean) about her walking into The Globe and approaching a man. It almost reminded me of Angelique approaching Dorian so boldly in episode 2.

Lol that song she was singing (it was more of a hymn I guess) was totally additive, I played that scene like four times just to hear it again :lol:

That whole scene was brilliantly done, with the camera panning through the house...creepy!

Here is a link to next weeks trailer and the two sneak peeks that we always get: (I know I linked the trailer already, but this has two other scenes too) http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/06/penny-dreadful-episode-208-memento-mori_15.html

Thoughts:

Feeling smug regarding Dorian and Angelique and the portrait. Called it! (Yes, I like to gloat, Muahaha)

Looks like we get some Sembene stuff. Finally, godamnit! To me it peaked he was breaking Sir Malcom out of Evelyn's magic and making him remember who he is. I suspect this happens in the earlier part of the episode, to account for the other shots in the trailer where he is in Evelyn's mansion and appears to be shooting at one of the witches.

There is a shot in the trailer that looks a bit like a dead Mr. Putney. Eep.

Sir Malcom talking to rusk, and mentioning Mina. That was good. Finally some use of Timmothy Dalton. Yay!

The Frankenstein and the Monster stuff looks really good actually

And I also enjoyed Kali and Lyle's scene. Lyle is Team Vanessa, quite clearly.

All in all, looking forward to next week, which looks to be setting up for the final confrontation(s). I hope they conclude the season strongly.

That's an interesting thought. I also think she might, at least subconsciously, remember something of her life as Brona. There was something very bold and daring (given the time this is based around, I mean) about her walking into The Globe and approaching a man. It almost reminded me of Angelique approaching Dorian so boldly in episode 2.

Yes exactly. There was something very "prostitute" about it all--and i don't mean the sex. Prostitutes, like Angelique and Brona, know how to pick out a man and get him to take them home--they have to know or they starve.

And Lily's line in the trailer for next week about not kneeling before any man makes me think this Lily's way of having greater control over her predatory instincts.

As for next weeks promo

Will Sambene be the one to snap Sir Malcolm out of Kali's thrall?

The Frankenstein plot is going to really blow up next week, which makes sense since the finale episodes will most likely be focused on Kali and Vanessa.

Are we finally going to see the famous portrait?!

Can't wait for this episode.

Archived