Penny Dreadful II: Take Me To Church

Theda Baratheon

I'm just so confused Penny Dreadful isn't doing better. It's honestly one of the best shows I've seen. High production values, great characters and actors. Excellent writing. Amazing original score. It's just so GOOD with soooo much potential for the future. They CAN'T stop now

Great show and despite low ratings the dual production thing can save it

They might wait til this season is over before they renew it though

Hopefully the show won't end up like other historical dramas like the Borgias or the Tudors

Yeah, I just don't get it. It's great! What is wrong with people?

Because I don't seem to be able to stop picking at this even though I can effect it in no way whatsoever I took a look at the ratings that got The Borgias cancelled -- and let's not forget that: The Borgias was a huge show for Showtime and when it didn't do what they were hoping for they gave it some leeway but then when it still didn't do what they were hoping for they cancelled the shit out of it. The ratings for the last season of The Borgias are very inconsistent, up and down all over the place. Its lowest showings are comfortably 200k or so lower than what PD's pulling at the moment. However, while its average is also lower, that average is only lower by the tens of thousands. Let's all think really positive thoughts about that sweet sweet coproduction magic.

I'd like to say I'm surprised but I'm really not. Most people I know watch nothing but reality shit and dumb network shows that are all basically the same. Does anyone have a link for the stat of the U.S. only having like 700-1000 people watch live? That is seriously insane if true. I mean sunday night at 10pm is a tough time but damn!

I'd like to say I'm surprised but I'm really not. Most people I know watch nothing but reality shit and dumb network shows that are all basically the same. Does anyone have a link for the stat of the U.S. only having like 700-1000 people watch live? That is seriously insane if true. I mean sunday night at 10pm is a tough time but damn!

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/penny-dreadful-season-two-ratings-36453/

Updates week by week. Last episode was a fairly big drop, which really surprised me. What, no one wanted to see a wolf out?

Yeah, I just don't get it. It's great! What is wrong with people?

Because I don't seem to be able to stop picking at this even though I can effect it in no way whatsoever I took a look at the ratings that got The Borgias cancelled -- and let's not forget that: The Borgias was a huge show for Showtime and when it didn't do what they were hoping for they gave it some leeway but then when it still didn't do what they were hoping for they cancelled the shit out of it. The ratings for the last season of The Borgias are very inconsistent, up and down all over the place. Its lowest showings are comfortably 200k or so lower than what PD's pulling at the moment. However, while its average is also lower, that average is only lower by the tens of thousands. Let's all think really positive thoughts about that sweet sweet coproduction magic.

Do the ratings cover viewership outside the U.S.?

Nope, not at all -- I was just looking at the wiki page that lists all the episodes of The Borgias with their US viewing figures, so no world wide figures, no live +3 days or any of that useful stuff. So that's very good, since PD has apparently dropped hard on Sky in the UK this year but is still outdrawing what that time period tends to do for them [is this so?] and I've heard nebulous non-specific things about the show doing very well in places like Latin America. And of course there's the possibility that simply selling the show in all these countries offsets some of the cost -- apparently a couple of CBS's [mostly bad] summer shows like Under the Dome are basically profitable before they air a single episode anywhere due to their deals with Amazon, for instance.

That big drop is puzzling and very unfortunate. Beyond just [i would assume] not having much leeway to drop, up until this week PD had stability going for it and now it ... doesn't.

Nope, not at all -- I was just looking at the wiki page that lists all the episodes of The Borgias with their US viewing figures, so no world wide figures, no live +3 days or any of that useful stuff. So that's very good, since PD has apparently dropped hard on Sky in the UK this year but is still outdrawing what that time period tends to do for them [is this so?] and I've heard nebulous non-specific things about the show doing very well in places like Latin America. And of course there's the possibility that simply selling the show in all these countries offsets some of the cost -- apparently a couple of CBS's [mostly bad] summer shows like Under the Dome are basically profitable before they air a single episode anywhere due to their deals with Amazon, for instance.

That big drop is puzzling and very unfortunate. Beyond just [i would assume] not having much leeway to drop, up until this week PD had stability going for it and now it ... doesn't.

I'm struggling to find anything at all on UK ratings. But as I said before, Tuesday 10pm isn't exactly a coveted spot on television. I didn't find the low ratings for the premiere confusing, as the episode was released beforehand online, but even so...Suppose alI can do is cross my fingers and hope it gets renewed.

Some more thoughts on the episode. Dorian probably recognised Brona, but isn't entirely certain. I can see a possibility of him looking at the photographs he had taken of her when she was, well...alive. And more on that, he must be very interested in how she is still alive, and suddenly perfectly healthy. Last he saw her, she was obviously in ill health and dying. Yet suddenly here she is, not only healthy, but suddenly looking very well off. If he finds out she is actually dead, I can imagine him desiring her. Dorian is all what is new, what is different. He's experienced a relationship with someone who is transgender (which, sadly, doesn't seem like it will last, more on that later) and if he deduces that Lily is unDead...well I think he will want her. Badly.

As for Angelique, I am leaning back towards my earlier idea that she will see Dorian's portrait, and he will kill her (I believe something similar happens in the actual story?). She is becoming a more permanent fixture in his mansion (last episode she asked to move some clothes over there, for example) so I do foresee a distinct possibility that she will discover it.

Also, from the two extended promos for next week:

Sembene is still alive, and unscathed.

I was worried when watching the initial trailer that they were having Sir Malcom revert to being serious and caring for Vanessa. But, this new promo makes sense of that, he is clearly still under Kali's control.

Godamnit, but Lyle :wub: So obviously team Vanessa. "Don't tell us where you're going." - that way, Kali cant get the information from him or Sir Malcom

I really don't want him to kill her :( I really wouldn't like to watch that tbh :(

I definitely think Dorian recognized Brona, he even mentioned his paintings to her. We'll probably see a scene where he finds a painting/portrait of her and is like ''aaaahh yes!!! knew it!''

I really don't want him to kill her :( I really wouldn't like to watch that tbh :(

I definitely think Dorian recognized Brona, he even mentioned his paintings to her. We'll probably see a scene where he finds a painting/portrait of her and is like ''aaaahh yes!!! knew it!''

Well I wouldn't enjoy it, per se, but I think there is a possibility that is where the story will go. I like Angelique, and I'd be sad if she was killed off...but who knows?

They had a photo shoot in S1 no? So it would be even more exact than a painting/portrait.

Also, Victor just smashed all my hopes for him. He seemed to relax a little and be prepared to give BronaLily some independence and choice in her life. But this episode he was possessive and controlling again.

Finally, since I re watched last night, I want to say that Wolfman track was brilliant.

Yeah Victor REALLY disappointed me; he was acting like a horrible, possessive, jealous abusive man. :(

Yeah I didn't like him once he and BronaLily got to the party. Before, when he and BronaLily were alone in their little house, they were adorable. I think, when it comes to the party, Victor was feeling the weight of all his inadequacies. His house wasn't as nice as Dorian's, he's obviously not as wealthy as Dorian, he's not as charismatic or handsome or articulate, and there was obviously something sparky between Dorian and BronaLily, though no one quiet knows why (yet). That's not to excuse Victor and his actions, but I don't think he's a terrible person, but has a lot of self-worth issues and they manifested right then and there when he was faced with everything he can't do and can't give to BronaLily.

But TOMORROW!!!! (my Ethan and Vanessa shipper-heart is READY)

I initially read that as 'soil myself.' :lol:

Well...I'm not quite at excited about it...

Yeah, what a creep. I reckon John Clare's gonna come riding to her rescue at some point.

Nah. John Clare is just as much of a creep as Victor. "Oh, woe is me, I'm such a victim, blah blah blah...BUT CREATE ME WOMAN BECAUSE SHE MUST BE MINE!"

Yeah Victor REALLY disappointed me; he was acting like a horrible, possessive, jealous abusive man. :(

I thought Victor was screwed up what with the feeling up dead Brona

so now that she's lily and kinda like his daughter now he probably has other things in his mind besides being a wholesome friend to her.

I wonder what Caliban will do when he finds out about them

Well...I'm not quite at excited about it...

Nah. John Clare is just as much of a creep as Victor. "Oh, woe is me, I'm such a victim, blah blah blah...BUT CREATE ME WOMAN BECAUSE SHE MUST BE MINE!"

Well, yeah. But Victor is turning out to be a creepy, controlling douchebag. And for the above reasons I guess it would go against all our expectations for John Clare to be the one to save her from him.

And Clare is kind of a victim, isn't he? He didn't ask to be resurrected and condemned to an eternity of loneliness.

I agree that Clare is a victim, but he's also shown himself to be fairly possessive and jealous--in this case of Victor and how Lily is clearly attached to him. (Though, as an interesting question, is Clare jealous that Lily is closer to Victor than she is to him...or is he jealous that Victor is closer to Lily than Victor is to Clare? The relationship between Victor and John Clare isn't as antagonistic as they want to make it out to be, I believe. Victor is still his creator and I think there is a measure of jealousy that Victor dotes on Lily the way he never doted on his first creature, Caliban/John Clare)

Archived